MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Self-Starters Only Need Apply

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsGreat Benefits Including Bonus Program
    Casual Dress
    Work From Home (Most Positions)
    Beautiful Campus With Onsite Fitness Center, Full Cafeteria, Game Rooms, etc.

ConsWork Pace Can Be Grinding At Times
    Not Enough People To Meet Expectations/Goals
    Meetings, Meetings, Meetings!
    Separatist Attitude Amongst Management - Too Good For The Trenches

Advice to Senior ManagementStay In Touch With What's Really Going On
    Listen More, Meet Less

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are lots of educational opportunities.

ConsMeetings are a large part of the culture and peoples calendars are always overbooked.

Great work environment

Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsMasterCard has a lot of employees who know a great deal about the payment industry. The company is also investing a lot in the training of its staff. It's a great place to learn a lot.

The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance.

ConsThe location is not great. The company could have a more flexible work from home policy. There are a lot of meetings and a limited sense of accountability at times. It's sometimes challenging to act swiftly.

MasterCard VP, Employer Brand Marketing responded to this review

May 13, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience thus far!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working as a contractor at MasterCard

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThey are very flexible in work hours, dress.

ConsYour management may change due to reorgs or project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe are not consistent on how they treat contractors. My first manager treated me as an employee - 1 on 1's and provided training. My second manager really spent no time with me.

MasterCard - a glocal company

Director (Current Employee) Warsaw (Poland)

ProsMasterCard is a global company however it gives a considerable degree of trust towards local country offices with regards to business strategy and decision making.

ConsThere is not enough of growth/promotion opportunities for empolyees of the local country offices as opposed to global and regional headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe strategy for promoting and growing people as well as possible employees relocation should be revised.

Stable company but that's it

Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsStable company, they will be around for a while and are profitable.

ConsCompensation is below average, and opportunities for advancement are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide actual incentives for lateral moves (saying that you are getting new skills doesn't work when the hiring managers are not willing to hire someone without years of experience doing everything in the job description) and stop telling hiring managers to only hire externally.

Uncompetitive in Canada

Vice President (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCome talented people
    Good industry to work in
    Good focus on innovation

ConsCanadian leadership is incompetent
    Sales and client management teams are was behind market leaders, Amex and VISA
    Leadership not able to drive improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of the talent that the organization already has to close key gaps in sales and client management
    Address the competitive losing streak and develop a strategy to start winning again
    Make "focus on the customer" more than just something you say

Good place to work

Director (Former Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

Prosgood benefits, nice profit sharing plan

Consineffective managers, requires face time

Advice to Senior Managementlisten

Challenging Work; Crazy Environment; No Management Support

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsThe work was challenging; I was never bored. The on-site facilities (fitness center, cafeteria, company store) are new and well maintained. The 401(k) plan is 100% matched up to 6% of the employee salary: that's unheard of! The recent annual bonus and profit sharing amounts have been generous.

ConsNever got a chance to be proactive. The project was based on 2 third-party software applications that were over-customized to perform tasks it was never originally intended to perform. The original installation was held together with Unix shell scripts and manual efforts assigned to the off-shore development team. Further enhancements continue to strain these delicately-balanced fixes. Immediate project management only got involved during a system incident (which occurred nearly monthly); otherwise, they were nowhere to be seen or heard from. Promotions did not appear to be merit-based, but whether you were a part of the good old boy network. Newer cubicles are now smaller: in my area, an aisle of 15 cubicles were resized to 19 cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper level managers are very intelligent and have well defined goals. Unfortunately, the lower level managers have no idea how to implement these goals within their fiefdoms. They continue to rule with their heads in the sand until someone comes along and kicks them in their butt or they are forced to leave.

Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros- Lovely office
    - very friendly and helpful colleagues
    - flexibility to work from home is great
    - decent enough salary and benefits
    - lots of scope for learning

Cons- long hours
    - antiquated and dysfunctional release process
    - not developer friendly e.g. machines are sub-standard, no admin access on own laptop
    - lack of recognition for extra work

Advice to Senior ManagementStart recognizing employees for their extra work
    Make the promotion process more transparent

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!