MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy"(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice(in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle(in 9 reviews)

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
    Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
    Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsIf you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

ConsPolitical, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

best place in st louis to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy".

Consvery consensus driven, not driven to take risks, HR no help. hope you get a good boss!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage turnover / new experiences to improve the energy levels; look at the leadership and see if they fit the mould for tomorrow or just a reflection of the past; take some risks to refresh the talent to show you are changing the old banking culture.

MasterCard is on the move with new technology, innovation and thought leadership!

Business Leader (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe life-work balance is wonderful. Everyone pulls together to make things happen and we all take personal pride in quality work. Quality work is usually compenstated for in multiple ways. Truly a global company.

ConsUpper level management changes too frequently, causing confusion and lack of consistency. Probably like most companies there are some bad seeds in the group that talk out of both sides of their mouth, play favorites and are in it for themselves. NY employees are not flexible in the culturaly differences. Too many opinions and performance reviews based on hear say.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider spending a little more money on simple technology enhancements that support day to day operations, in the long run employees will be more effecient (saving money) and customers will be happier.

Employees still feel that they have no place to go in fear of retaliation. HR recently sat on a phone call un-announced for an hour; very sneaky. I have no trust in the process or the department.

Consider implementing a process for escalating business decisions that are "stuck in the mud" with their existing management.

Financially well-run; Needs to accelerate time to market for product innovation

ProsI like the fact that the company is addressing key competitive factors and working hard to overcome the legacy and mentality of an association. The consumer-centered focus is also important in order to clearly differentiate our product benefits/innovation/value proposition

Cons-Managers lack the skills and leadership to motivate people; yet are rewarded in a vacuum

-New managers who have been hired with "badge" value are ineffective when it comes down to translating their experience to MC business

-Not a ton of opportunity to get promoted due to heavy matrix

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Watch out for "queen bee" in LAC

Not Important (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat people to work with at the middle management & lower level.

People generally excited to go to work in most departments

Cons"Queen Bee" is a typical example of mobbing and playing political games in the work place, everyone fears for their job in that department. Very unhealthy work place to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf changing the corporate culture is a mandate coming from the top, please take a strong look at the department in-charge of you're people.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Riding the gravy train!

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Bugis (Singapore)

ProsBeneficiary of secular growth due to ongoing shift from cash to plastic and mobile.

ConsOnly as good as it has to be. Rent seeking behavior. Get ready to suck up!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore adults in the room please!!!

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!