MasterCard

Updated 16 December 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 12 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Oligopoly: money to waste, status quo to preserve

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With strong winds in our backs from customers getting off cash worldwide and the only competition from a similarly badly run organization, MasterCard vaults are loaded with dough spent ever so freely. Lavish customer events and entertainment, gorgeous marketing campaigns and interesting projects that don't have to make impact, nice salary and benefits for employees, and nobody has to really work hard.

Cons

During my years here, we have been overwhelmed with speeches about new culture that would be different from the days of associations, but MasterCard remains a mostly political place with senior executives caring much more about their personas rather than clients or employees. Executive management meetings feel like user-card salesmen conventions from the 80s. HR has the most power, often making and overruling business management's decisions. With the exception of 2-3 people of Level 3 and up, you are learning by watching how executives behaving and then doing the exact opposite. I used to work for Visa and we couldn't figure out how our so badly managed company could be kicking MasterCard out all over the world... now I understand why.

Take a very long vacation and see if it makes any difference, then reflect on "why" if it doesn't

Strong growing company - opportunity exists although not always upward

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operates in a great industry with significant organic growth opportunity as cash and checks migrate to digital payments. Good people - smart, dedicated, generally collaborative. Great CEO - leadership, inspiration, face of company to the world. Diverse work teams provide diffferent perspectives. Exciting times due to digital / mobile technology change.

Cons

Career opportunities are often lateral. Can be challenging from a work / life balance perspective. Global business oftens means calls at all hours.

Execution, execution, execution.

Priceless!

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, fantastic culture! Opportunities are endless, company where you can grow from within as a young professional. Compensation and benefits packages are very attractive, employees are encouraged for flexible working (telecommuting). MasterCard also has innovative learning solutions as well as a special platform for experiences that can help your career development.

Cons

Some of the the managers struggle to work with younger workforce but this has been constantly improving

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, flexible managers, fast growing company

Cons

Its a hassle to get from NYC to Purchase, NY (~90 mins)

Great

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth

Employee benefits, health, salary, and learning opportunities

Global mobility

Small large company, so there's the ability to have exposure to executives and directly impact the business

Cons

People managers lack proper training however not all managers are bad, most are really helpful

Location, outside the city, not ideal for millennials

MasterCard Response

Nov 03, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Brief, concise review albeit clearly states the upside at working at our evolving technology brand - thanks very much!

MasterCard enabled me the ability to work from home especially during inclement weather conditions

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company knows where it wants to go and is doing a great job getting there

Cons

The majority of better opportunities are located in St Louis.

Managers need to allow more involvement for there employees especially on projects where the employee knows the work best

Great place to work

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

- great benefits/time off policies
    - great co-workers and peers who are truly passionate about their job and have great knowledge and expertise in their area

Cons

I recently joined MasterCard but compared to my previous employer, I have no complaints!

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, environment and people, the company is trying to be a IT company, I think is doing well

Cons

Software process need to improve, the management can’t skip process

try listening more the engineers for do the things in the right way, i know is a lot of competitive out there, but sometimes it's better postpone releases

Nice place to work but a lot of red tape.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office, subsidised meals, monthly trips to restaurants and cinemas.

Cons

Poor leadership, run from America, a lot of red tape regarding new technology or processes.

Good pay, nice hard-working people, consensus based, lots of change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

The CEO and CFO are good visionary people. They work hard and are great motivators. St. Louis has a nice campus for employees. The environment is very pleasant and professional. For a small company in terms of employees they are doing quite well financially and have room to grow. The NY office is high energy and houses most of the senior leaders. NY is definitely the place to consider working if you want a long-term career at MasterCard and like the area.

Cons

Compensation and raises could be more generous for the worker bees at lower and middle management levels. Work life balance could be better with long days and/or regular evening and weekend work. Many people at all levels are under a lot of stress and carry heavy work loads. Managers could benefit from learning to say "no" and receive more training on managing people and employee coaching. Skip level meetings and 360 feedback are very informal if at all. Having worked in larger corporate environments there is definitely room for improvement in management training. It is also common for promotions and position changes to be announced and employees may not have had an opportunity to apply internally.

Systems could be improved and several are dated. Trust your people and move forward with new ideas and encourage leaders to think strategically and then act tactically as opposed to acting first and changing direction multiple times during implementation. Keep it simple and execute on fewer key initiatives. Strive for a more positive work-life balance to keep people refreshed and encourage senior leaders to respect and expect this type of culture.

MasterCard Response

Nov 24, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comprehensive and candid review.