MasterCard Reviews

Updated 23 April 2015
378 reviews filtered by

1. Fantastic financial-services company focused on innovation

Former Employee - Intern in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Management is very accessible. Everyone is friendly and willing to help in cross-departmental projects.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Does HR read these reviews?! Respond to each review on Glassdoor if you actually care about improving MasterCard?

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Depending on your group, you can get a global perspective.

2) For married and family people, HQ is in Westchester

3) Good 401K Plan

4) Recognizable Name Brand

5) Starting to build more open space (but bad execution)

6) Meaningful assignments, depending on your group and job

Cons

1) Layoffs. MA likes to fire good people, rather than placing them in a new group.

2) Not in the NYC ; not enough young to mid 20s in the Purchase office (this is a con, depending on your age)

3) Not enough head count; thus we are overworked with the wrong compensation/salary.

4) We act before we think. MA reacts too fast and we have to deal with all the mess and problems due to poor execution. We need more planning.

5) At the executive level, there's isn't enough agreement on the road map. Thus, product executions across regions are inconsistent and disconnected at times.

6) Too much negativity at times. Many people are closed minded and quick to say no to an idea.

Advice to Management

1) Less reactive, and more proactive with innovation and strategy.

In other words, more planning before execution.

2) Train people to be better managers and how to give guidance

3) Go big, or just throw in the towel to Visa and AMEX. High risk, high reward. Stopping be so conservative with the P&L.

Do you (MasterCard/Ajay) want to continue to be 2nd place to Visa or do you want to change the status quo? We need to be more aggressive in our key markets!

4) Rethink about allocating investments across the company. Do you even measure ROI anymore?

5) Given the fact that there are dissatisfied people at MA writing bad reviews on Glassdoor, there hasn't been much change in the company.

Nice new company video?!

3. Great fast growing company to work for

Current Employee - Vice President in Asia (Colombia)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Asia (Colombia)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Great colleagues, good opportunity to rotate job function, good learning opportunities, great leadership team!

Cons

Some internal processes are cumbersome, better communication of great products, better engagement of younger employees who's aspirations may be different.

Advice to Management

Improve internal processes and engagement of younger employees.

5. MasterCard Review

Former Employee - Account Manager in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked working for a Westchester based company. It was an easy commute which allowed for better work life balance

Cons

There really weren't any cons. I enjoyed the company, my responsibilities, the culture and the people.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to inspire all employees creativity and innovativeness. It's the future of the biz.

6. I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Benefits, location for headquarters, relatively short typical meetings (but a lot of them)

Cons

Corporate climate, limited focus on the employees / no training offered, jobs moving outside of the US, very long hours required

7. MasterCard is a great place to work for.

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

They have a dynamic environment and you collaborate with wonderful, intelligent people.

Cons

MasterCard recent outsourcing to India is impacting American jobs that hurts the U.S. economy.

Advice to Management

Great leadership; however, some managers need to know the bottom line to become even better leaders.

Easiest job you'll ever have if you get hired at the right level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is an amazing leader as well as many of the people holding senior management positions. They are incredibly intelligent yet humble. Diversity is absolutely embraced and the right person for the job is hired regardless of gender, culture, age etc. The culture is polite and everyone treats each other with respect. The employees are very sharp and know all aspects of the payments industry. The company embraces innovation and is a leader in emerging payment models.

Cons

The company is very top heavy with too many people in middle management who really aren't working. This promotes a country club like atmosphere. There is a huge gap between the senior management team and the people who actually get the work done. It's the business leaders that do all the work without reward or recognition. If you want the easiest job in your life and get paid a lot for doing nothing go for a middle management position at MasterCard.

Advice to Management

Get involved. Learn what's really going on. Conduct skip-level reviews. Promote the people who are working hard to bring innovative products to market. Make middle management accountable. Get out of your glass houses and get to know the people who are doing all the hard work. These are the people that will make you successful not the bureaucrats in between.

9. Great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Business Leader
    Current Employee - Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow your career if you're willing to put in the work
    Senior management is easily accessible and very approachable
    Great pay and benefits

Cons

Mindset needs to change to match the ever-evolving technology from new entrants to the payments space

Advice to Management

Company needs to be more nimble to adapt to non-traditional competitive threats

Good vision, not so good delivery

Former Employee - Business Leader
    Former Employee - Business Leader

I worked at MasterCard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary and benefits. High level knowledge of peers and overall consultants. Very defined products and services.

Cons

Very political relationship with the traditional business area. Not really consulting...more of a added value service to clients.

Advice to Management

Bring in people with a strong electronic payment industry background

Great Company, but a lot of politics at SBL level

Current Employee - Product Leader in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Product Leader in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great brand, good benefits

Cons

Huge gap between salaries within same career level.
    HR are management extension. you can get promoted without sufficient experience if you got support of high management.
    Annual salary increment is almost negligible.

Advice to Management

Be fair on the salaries paid for the same career level
    SBL and above should have limited influence on the promotions decision and salaries increments - at least somebody should be there to double check - definitely not the HR!