MasterCard

Updated 24 October 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 10 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Very mature company that strives to grow market share using innovative products and solutions.

Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package. Good product leadership team.

Cons

Slow speed to market, but things might change in a few years

Reduce red tape barriers. IT and products need to work more as a team.

Sep 29, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your comments..leading with great people and benefits drive our success now and in the future!

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company continually offers training courses and programs in all business areas, so there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth and development.

Cons

While the company utilizes a large number of consultants to contribute to strategic planning, consultants' opinions are not valued by long-term senior executives with over 20 years of experience. The company appears to be going through a transformational change and could benefit by transforming their talent pool.

There are really brilliant people at the Business Leader level who should be promoted to Senior Business Leaders and Group Heads.

wonderful experience

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far my thoughts about Mastercard are very positive. The people and the environment is very friendly. The employees really are commited to the organiztion and management sees it. I can say that I am proud to be a part of this company and look forward to seeing the future here. I would for sure tell friends and family that this is a great place to work.

Cons

there are no cons that I have seen

Aug 19, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

So glad that your early experience is so positive! Thanks for sharing....

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation very competitive, solid management team, loads of career opportunity, company truly cares about its employees

Cons

A great deal of lateral opportunity, but can be challenging to find upward opportunity especially at senior management level, at times management is not as transparent as they should be

Become slightly less risk averse, beat Visa to the punch, continue to focus on emerging payment opportunities

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your thoughts - an open, transparent culture is a winning one!

Evolving into a technology company

Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior leadership has a great vision for the future of the company and employees have bought in. Strong growth and profitability has allowed for acquisitions to keep pace with the change and innovation. Great benefits, profit sharing and health plan. Great internal communications and resources available to team members. A company with a social conscience.

Cons

One challenge is the highly regulated industry environment which inhibits rapid development and change. Can be bureaucratic and sluggish to move.

Communicate clear ownership and install processes to accelerate implementation of new strategic initiatives.

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your sentiment regarding being socially conscious is what brings great pride; as we say Doing Well by Doing Good! thanks for your review

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very positive work environment, great culture.

Cons

Having to wait from the green light from on high frustrated some devs.

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

Cons

Like any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

While a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Aug 06, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We value your response - thanks so much !

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.