MasterCard

www.mastercard.com

Conservative culture, smart people

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to be in for 1.5 years, but I would recommend leaving unless you want to have a stable job and want to be a robot at MasterCard.

Cons

People expect to form business relationships instantly with an email before getting to know people. Communication within groups and divisions are terrible. No clear goals are set.

There is no career growth and very little pay at MasterCard. There are no "perks" at MasterCard Purchase office like other top technology companies.

Most people don't have a work-life balance.

(1) train people how to manage people, be organized, and time management skills at levels. A lot of business leaders are terrible managers.

(2) marketing/branding at MA is a joke. I don't even get to experience or see the Priceless Surprises outside of work.

(3) culture change starts from the top. If people don't see executives participating in fun during the day, then we'll never be like Google.

(4) if people are working late in the office, can you please provide us food, or keep the cafeteria open late. We all know that people work late in the office, so why not make the experience enjoyable.

(5) Better laptops for employees...come on.

(6) why are people so scared to take vacation days at MasterCard. FOMO.

(7) cut the bs politics between groups. Seriously, there are too much duplicate efforts. Groups trying to outperform others on the same task. WTF.

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good salary and benefits! Flexible work schedule. If you work hard and determined advancements are achievable.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with project deadlines. Micro-managing by certain business leaders.

Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

"Impressive CEO, transparent and inspirational; Opportunities for improvement at Silicon Valley office"

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Impressive CEO and Executive team, global technology leader in payments space, impressive financial results, increasing transformation of brand to technology brand."

Cons

"Some of Silicon Valley leadership does not embrace Ajay's transparent or inspirational style. There is a lack of leadership leading, and attrition is mounting. Dissapointing from a global industry leader. Location can be undesireable to Silicon Valley talent pool".

"increase transparency and push authority down. Share what is genuine and honest - less corporate speak and dead silence."

review

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

work-life balance based on position.

Cons

lots of politics. lots of meetings and not a lot of progress

Strong growing company - opportunity exists although not always upward

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Operates in a great industry with significant organic growth opportunity as cash and checks migrate to digital payments. Good people - smart, dedicated, generally collaborative. Great CEO - leadership, inspiration, face of company to the world. Diverse work teams provide diffferent perspectives. Exciting times due to digital / mobile technology change.

Cons

Career opportunities are often lateral. Can be challenging from a work / life balance perspective. Global business oftens means calls at all hours.

Execution, execution, execution.

Priceless!

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, fantastic culture! Opportunities are endless, company where you can grow from within as a young professional. Compensation and benefits packages are very attractive, employees are encouraged for flexible working (telecommuting). MasterCard also has innovative learning solutions as well as a special platform for experiences that can help your career development.

Cons

Some of the the managers struggle to work with younger workforce but this has been constantly improving

Great place to work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, flexible managers, fast growing company

Cons

Its a hassle to get from NYC to Purchase, NY (~90 mins)

Oligopoly: money to waste, status quo to preserve

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With strong winds in our backs from customers getting off cash worldwide and the only competition from a similarly badly run organization, MasterCard vaults are loaded with dough spent ever so freely. Lavish customer events and entertainment, gorgeous marketing campaigns and interesting projects that don't have to make impact, nice salary and benefits for employees, and nobody has to really work hard.

Cons

During my years here, we have been overwhelmed with speeches about new culture that would be different from the days of associations, but MasterCard remains a mostly political place with senior executives caring much more about their personas rather than clients or employees. Executive management meetings feel like user-card salesmen conventions from the 80s. HR has the most power, often making and overruling business management's decisions. With the exception of 2-3 people of Level 3 and up, you are learning by watching how executives behaving and then doing the exact opposite. I used to work for Visa and we couldn't figure out how our so badly managed company could be kicking MasterCard out all over the world... now I understand why.

Take a very long vacation and see if it makes any difference, then reflect on "why" if it doesn't