MasterCard Reviews

Updated 14 April 2015
376 reviews filtered by

1. Good Company!

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Innovative company to work for

Cons

Some departments are still old style

Advice to Management

Not much

2. Didn't live up to their promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits/pay are really good and work/life balance is pretty good as well. As far as big companies go, it offers all the standard things.

Cons

They promised a lot when I interviewed in terms of training, projects, international travel, and generally made it sound like an exciting place to be. That wasn't really the case. The training was slapped together last minute and I got stuck doing mundane projects for the whole year and a half that I worked there. Even when I asked for more challenging work, I was mostly ignored. Beyond that, my boss probably couldn't even tell you where my desk was and I maybe saw him once a month - not ideal in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your lower levels and listen to changes they suggest.

Great concept, poor execution

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time

Pros

In their defense, work-life balance is really great (if you're in the right group) and you can work remote quite often...but this is usually a result of the fact that almost everyone here has a commute.

Benefits and vacation days are very good for an entry level position.

You will learn a lot about the payments industry and at the very least, be prepared for any workplace situation you will encounter in corporate America. The company looks very good on your resume and will give you a lot to talk about when interviewing for exit opportunities.

Cons

- Commute from NYC is awful and mentally and physically taxing. It especially puts the younger employees in a personal dilemma between living in white plains, or living in the city and having to travel 1.5 hours each way (3 hours a day total, 2.5 days of your life lost every month to the commute)
    - The standards for the quality of your work are low. You can put in minimal effort and still walk away with a good performance review (this might be a pro for some, but if you're looking to be intellectually challenged and do something meaningful, it will be soul-crushing)
    - Office politics can't even be described in words. Slows the pace of innovation incredibly.
    - Sure, you may get a lot of "responsibility", but be prepared to see your recommendations and attempts at the innovation the company craves fall onto deaf ears.
    - Team structures here just don't work. Every team is a subunit of another unit and there is no true collaboration.

Advice to Management

Encourage more TEAMWORK. Hold SBLs and managers to actual accountability, or hire them based on their ability to be effective mentors rather than the amount years of experience they have. Tone down the whole massive cultural shift to a "technology" company until you have the leadership and systems that can attract and retain younger talent.

Disappointing experience

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Global organization and growing business

Cons

No willingness to invest on people and no attention to competence. Very few apportunities to get promoted and not based on competence and skills but on personal relationship. Management lack of skills and leadership to manage and motivate people.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Business Analyst in O Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in O Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Can be independent and can be at the heart of payment industry

Cons

Too demanding and extended working hours

Advice to Management

Streamline the process and interfacing between application can be better

7. Not good; lack of culture, direction of business and leadership.

Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Pay and benefits OK. Working under the MasterCard name is ok, but end of the day the opportunities to grow at Advisors is limited, as MasterCard Worldwide hiring managers don't really like to hire from Advisors.

Cons

No direction of the business, lack of leadership, no alignment of teams and products, everyone is a sales person. There is also a lack of connection to MasterCard Worldwide, Advisors is like the step child (limited to move internally to MaterCard from Advisors). Lastly, people have been in roles there forever, and either have no motivation to make things happen or have no leadership oversight to make sure they move things along.

Advice to Management

Provide better direction to the business and teams. Align the business with MasterCard Worldwide more so its not like the step child. Get an office in the city, there are no clients in Purchase NY. Lastly, everyone should not be a sales person.

A great career move for someone young

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Company encouraging diversity (in age, race, culture and background)
    Encourage and provide tools for successful networking and skill-set building
    Value their employees and highly recommend moving internally (vertically or horizontally) within the organization
    Proactive in getting new employees oriented and jump-started in the workplace
    Benefits packages

Cons

Security is given highest priory, so if you're not careful, slip-ups can result in reprimands and if repeated possible dismissal.
    Help desks can sometimes be difficult to understand and work with. Which isn't great as you try and get yourself situated early on.

Advice to Management

So far no recommendations, but still relatively new.

A long way to go

Former Employee - Account Executive in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation above average, work/life balance

Cons

Leadership, leadership, leadership. These guys were hired 25 years ago to take banking clients golfing and they are still there. Granted, the company still operates on high margins despite the challenges, but very few people can see what's coming. For as long as the leaders are the same, nothing will change.

Leadership has no people management skills, no clear objectives, very poor technical and business skills. Poor career management, very emotional and subjective decision-making, silo thinking. Highly bureaucratic and insecure. Simply no HR. Overall a very immature company who keeps on repeating mistakes: hiring old, expensive people from similar industries

Advice to Management

Some changes have been for the better but still too slow. Ajay is awesome but his vision is too far from reality. Get rid of upper management asap as people below are hungry for change and dissatisfied with the company, you will keep on losing your best talent

10. Professional, Fair, Expierenced and friendly company

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the building, people, opportunities - really a wonderful company that takes care of its employees and makes you feel part of the team.

Cons

I have not come across any yet. They are very flexible and understanding when personal issues come up. and when we have snow days - they send you a note to stay home, but connect from there. Really great work life balance, ad no stress

MasterCard Response

Feb 12, 2015VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for commenting on the important quality of striking a balance. We understand that this job isn't your only job. Best of luck in your role..

11. I am working as performance and load tester.

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Vadodara (India)
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Vadodara (India)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good welfare policies for employees.

Cons

Not known as of now.

Advice to Management

No advice as of now.

MasterCard Response

Feb 23, 2015VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your feedback - it is so helpful to hear first- hand from our global community!