MasterCard

MasterCard Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga

Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 9 reviews)

• There is a barrier with middle management - the top is visible and engaged but info stops in the middle (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at MasterCard has been a great experience

Vice President (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsCompany has been on the path of innovation, it has a great business model and our brand is well known.

ConsMasterCard went public in 2006, prior to that they were private. There is an old culture here that is not keen on changing. We need to work on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to drive innovation and fun throughout a company is a fantastic things however cannot be done in a suit and tie. Executives need to come to work dressed down to promote a more relaxed environment that promotes innovation

MasterCard is an amazing place to work if you are motivated for a dynamic career

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsHonest executive commitment to employee development
    Unlimited corporate opportunities for growth feed great personal opportunities
    Competitive benefits/comp

ConsPart way through a cultural overhaul, and there is a small (getting smaller) group who is not onboard with the program. They create a disproportionate burden for the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great progress.

Growth Company - With Lots of Opportunities

Senior Business Leader (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsIt is hard to argue against a company that is doing so well. You have to work to advance here but your hard work pays off. Great work life balance. Ajay Banga is a true leader that is driving this company in a place that it has never been before. He is tremendous and his impact can be felt through the entire organization. You can't say that about too many CEO's.

ConsIt is hard to work in a b2b2c environment. We do things differently here which are sometimes difficult for someone that is new to the organization/four party model. This growing pain goes away once you understand our business and our business model.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) O'Fallon, MO (US)

ProsIf you are dedicated and hard working, this is a great company to work for.

ConsPolitical, promotions and difficult and salary increases are nil. If you do not get the starting salary you want, you can forget about 'working your way there'.

Challenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging somewhat rewarding nice experience

ConsLack of leadership and hiring of wrong people, A lot of opportunity for advancement but was taken advantage of by various people with various reasons.

CEO is visionary and likeable

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsWork life balance
    Great experience
    Passionate employees

ConsNo salary negotiations for lateral moves
    Salary increments are between 1 and 4%
    No career progression
    Poor management training and support for new management. Managers lack leadership skills, managers lack the balls to fight for what is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company would lose ambitious (tomorrow leaders) if they do not harness and promote employees.
    Meeting or surpassing expectations should be rewarded financially and with the opportunity of promotions.

Good company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee) Purchase, NY (US)

ProsCompany doing well, good benefits, and good work-life balance

ConsForget getting promoted at this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident should stop being so cocky

MasterCard is changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation and a lot of good managers

ConsThe Corporate culture is changing and becoming more cutthroat.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talk about the culture is one view but the reality is something different. Figure out what you really want to be and speak and act consistently

best place in st louis to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy".

Consvery consensus driven, not driven to take risks, HR no help. hope you get a good boss!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage turnover / new experiences to improve the energy levels; look at the leadership and see if they fit the mould for tomorrow or just a reflection of the past; take some risks to refresh the talent to show you are changing the old banking culture.

MasterCard is on the move with new technology, innovation and thought leadership!

Business Leader (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe life-work balance is wonderful. Everyone pulls together to make things happen and we all take personal pride in quality work. Quality work is usually compenstated for in multiple ways. Truly a global company.

ConsUpper level management changes too frequently, causing confusion and lack of consistency. Probably like most companies there are some bad seeds in the group that talk out of both sides of their mouth, play favorites and are in it for themselves. NY employees are not flexible in the culturaly differences. Too many opinions and performance reviews based on hear say.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider spending a little more money on simple technology enhancements that support day to day operations, in the long run employees will be more effecient (saving money) and customers will be happier.

Employees still feel that they have no place to go in fear of retaliation. HR recently sat on a phone call un-announced for an hour; very sneaky. I have no trust in the process or the department.

Consider implementing a process for escalating business decisions that are "stuck in the mud" with their existing management.

Worked for MasterCard? Contribute to the Community!