MasterCard Reviews

376 reviews filtered by

1. Program Manager

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

small company with big brand name. many opportunities to get involved in different projects and learn new stuff. close relationship between employees.

Cons

no obvious cons. one thing could be too many internal policies or work flows to follow, which may slow down the work pace.

Good company to work for if you're in the right department & role

Current Contractor - Marketing Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Contractor - Marketing Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at MasterCard as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance (Depending on the role)
    Good salary & benefits (For full time staff)
    Interesting industry to be in
    Strong CEO

Cons

Inter-Department politics
    Weak business processes - especially in HR
    Terrible career advancement opportunities & proper structure
    Limited training opportunities - only available to the interns or management associates
    Does not value the contract staff - no conversion opportunities. treated like 2nd rate staff on many fronts
    No headcount when more people are obviously required to
    Top heavy structure - compromises on execution
    Passing over internal talent & hiring outside the company for senior positions

Advice to Management

Cherish your contract staff - there is talent there.
    Expand & hire more 'low level' staff to boost execution.
    Explore placing a mandatory 6 month swop between certain departments to promote understanding & minimize politics
    HR needs to increase their effectiveness & do things that truly matter to people - proper onboarding processes, providing the necessary support, training & career guidance etc.
    Pay attention to the feedback

3. Fantastic company to work

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

Emee can do Work life balance

Cons

R and R is not clear and Weak business process

Advice to Management

Try to enhance hr process

Very capable leadership. However, HR is non-existent, hence career growth depends on line managers entirely

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good leadership, Motivating vision, High flexibility

Cons

No structured career development process
    Tendency to recruit people from outside rather than offer internal movements

Great Company To Work For With A Few Major Flaws

Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Project Management Senior Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MasterCard is a very forward thinking company. I found my time there extremely enjoyable and one where business groups got along and collaborative efforts between departments were encouraged. That old cliche of employees feeling like family actually had some substance here as a good number of people whom I worked with in my department and across a variety of business groups have been with the company for many years. They do hire contractors on as perm employees. Good number of extra office activities also are a bonus. Free tickets, shows, and lunches are often comped.

Cons

The most noticeable and ever present negative to this wonderful company is that the pay rate for managers, analysts, VP's, and technical specialists tends to be somewhere around 30% below the national average for matching roles (this is applicable for the U.S. market only although I have been told this trend is a global one by more distant contacts). This nugget of knowledge is well known within and without the organization. Recruiters and Talent Sourcing Teams often have to set expectations low for new talent and raises and bonuses are not common in North America. I have seen a great number of professionals leave as a result of being way undervalued. I admit that I left for this same reason and this was my most cherished job in my career. A very painful decision for myself and those who left before and after my time. A second equally damaging negative I have seen first hand and continue to hear to this day is that the Latin America division of MasterCard has some deceptive practices when it comes to offering positions and then rescinding them at the last minute. A very close colleague of mine and another former co-worker known to me reported having been offered positions only to never receive callbacks or being placed in the position of turning down other work opportunities in light of being told they had secured a position with MasterCard only to never receive a start date or full offer letter. This is really upsetting as I love this company but I have seen this practice happen to others and have heard that within LATAM this is commonplace.

Advice to Management

Recognize you are failing to retain good talent and your low pay rates discourage new hires who are the future of your company.
    Better efforts need to be made with regards to false promises made by VP's and their direct reports with regards to offering positions to potential workers and then going back on their word and not following through. It is a cheap tatic that effects the lives of people who are trying to gain employment with your company and may result in tricky litigation if not properly supervised.

7. Conservative culture, smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of pride in the company and stable, trustworthy culture to be a part of.

Cons

Very corporate, not a lot of opportunity to do your own thing inside such a structured chain of command.

Advice to Management

Open yourselves up to new ideas and embrace the changing landscape in financial services. Don't let the attorneys make all of your decisions for you.

8. I have been working at MasterCard

Pros

Good salary and benefits! Flexible work schedule. If you work hard and determined advancements are achievable.

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with project deadlines. Micro-managing by certain business leaders.

9. Great company

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

team environment, growth, free gym, company store

Cons

a lot of political red tape to get ideas moved

10. "Impressive CEO, transparent and inspirational; Opportunities for improvement at Silicon Valley office"

I worked at MasterCard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Impressive CEO and Executive team, global technology leader in payments space, impressive financial results, increasing transformation of brand to technology brand."

Cons

"Some of Silicon Valley leadership does not embrace Ajay's transparent or inspirational style. There is a lack of leadership leading, and attrition is mounting. Dissapointing from a global industry leader. Location can be undesireable to Silicon Valley talent pool".

Advice to Management

"increase transparency and push authority down. Share what is genuine and honest - less corporate speak and dead silence."

11. review

I worked at MasterCard

Pros

work-life balance based on position.

Cons

lots of politics. lots of meetings and not a lot of progress