Mazda North American Operations

Updated Mar 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim O'Sullivan

Great company, great products, but......

District Manager (Current Employee)
Bridgewater, NJ (US)

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people and co workers. Real sense of direction of wanting to go forward and grow their market share from it's current 1.9 -2.0% position. Outstanding work/family life balance. Quality of products are the best in the industry. Mazda really wants to take care of their customers and is dedicated to providing excellent service for those in need. Good support from Senior VP, a real "car guy." Small company feel, but still a major player.

ConsMajor disconnect in three areas. Corporate to the Regions-Regions to the Departments in that Region-Department Heads to the boots on the ground soldiers. No continuity within Regional Depts. Too much room for independent thought from individual Zone /Region Managers. Mazda will not rid themselves of absolutely abysmal Managers. In certain circumstances they don't want the industry's best. Managers are allowed to run amuck with absolutely no help from HR. Forget real advancement in the Company unless you are one of the "golden children" that has FORD pedigree. FORD nepotism is still very alive and well at Mazda. Someone at the top needs to really address this situation to give dedicated and faithful employees a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo issues that need to be addressed. 1) Take proactive steps to improve your Dealer Body. Way too many Dealer partners that NEED TO GO IMMEDIATELY!! Come up with a plan to stroke a check and get rid of these poor performers. Mazda will never, ever grow from where it is now to where you want to go with the current Dealer body. 2) All C/D level Managers need to be evaluated by their direct employees on a yearly basis. You are harboring some pretty horrific & ineffective managers that are allowed ruin this company from a subordinate's view. Take the Leadership 360 survey results and have someone who isn't a "friend of a friend (FORD)" review them. Mazda will be a mediocre at best company to work for from an employee viewpoint unless some changes are made.

Overall good company

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time

ProsLots of opportunities if you are able to work within the system

ConsNo real cons to report. Was treated fairly.

Doom Doom

District Service Manager (Current Employee)
Bridgewater, NJ (US)

ProsProducts are amazing. Work life balance is great. Pension is good. Pay is so-so.

ConsManagers are not equipped to manage people. They utilize techniques to scare and intimidate their employees. They reorganize every few years, the good people leave, the near retirement ago employees stay and drag down moral. HR is a horror show. Regional managers are Ford-era flunkies that could not make it elsewhere. Jim O and his cronies are killing this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne more re-org and push out the dead weight.

The best company I have work for...period.

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, do not take themselves to seriously, great managers who see the big picture and want to help grow their employees into future leaders

ConsNot a large company so there is sometimes not a lot of places to move in terms of career progression

IT dept lacks standard processes

Systems Analyst/Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than 5 years

ProsQuick decision on new implementations and projects, nice perks

ConsNo standard IT processes or methodology for in house IT projects, IT vendor selection based primarily on cost alone in many cases, quality of deliverable is not considered. The culture does not promote new ideas or risk taking rather just expects you to go with the flow

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate people more often in different roles to give them challenges and exposure to new functions

Quality Engineer

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Flat Rock, MI (US)

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPlenty of work when the plant was open, can work on the problems that are most urgent, most of the time.

ConsDirect manager / supervisor may not know your job or can give any advise on how to solve / address the problem. Management changed constantly with 6 reorganizations in 8 years. Forget about regular raises, you may get 5% in 3-4 years total. New hires get more than current employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMold a concrete business plan and stick with it. Do not get rid of all of the quality people and then think that you can easily replace them. You do not go into launch mode with no Quality department or with all new employees.

you are on your own

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time for less than a year

ProsOk pay. kind looks from everyone!

Consvery little training. Everybody out for themselves. No room to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage the company like Jack Welch did with GE. The Management structure is old. It is a feet wide and a mile high. You are at the bottom and the guy making decisions at the top never hears your input. Like GE, the management structure should be a mile wide and a foot high.

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) continues its financial slide with just under $1 billion in losses in two years.

Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIrvine has very nice weather.

ConsMNAO's senior management has struggled for 10 years to manage this US operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMazda Motor Corporation (MC) needs to better understand the US operation and put a team in place with the experience required. MNAO has lost senior managers to Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Toyota all of which were experienced enough to run the company. MNAO has relinquished responsibility for Mazda Canada and is selling its headquarters property in Irvine, CA and plans to lease a building in Costa Mesa, CA near its advertising agency. This should hopefully lower its continuing losses in 2013.

Without Ford's money it a wonder they're still in business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mazda North American Operations full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey offer Flex time and a Wellness benefit.

ConsVery poor management out of Irvine.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell your employees they have a job and then a month later offer everybody a buyout package. Better planning on important decisions might be a good idea.

Zoom Zoom on your Own

Group Manager (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

ProsGreat company with lots of potential. Take control of your future because no one at Mazda no anywhere else will. Learn the business and either get happy being bored or use it as a spring board for your future.

ConsEveryone is out for themselves and with the exception of a rare few none of the management has an interest in development of their team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementReset, refresh, restart.

Worked for Mazda North American Operations? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mazda North American Operations reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Mazda North American Operations CEO Jim O'Sullivan. All 30 reviews are posted anonymously by Mazda North American Operations employees.