McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros:
  • "Work life balance - you know what that means :) Little work and less pay"
    in 59 reviews
  • "You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "and IDC lost it's mojo with many senior management folks moving away"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at McAfee full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work and develop environment is good and proper training

ConsPay scale needs to be little higher

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more projects and have good payscale

was good, went downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood people
good feeling that your helping to protect people.
some good managers

ConsManagement overall is cliquish
layoffs
becoming a H1B shop
frequent changes in direction

Advice to Senior Managementstart caring and supporting your people
get a clear direction

Poor leadership - too many acquisitions, insufficent resources

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation and benefits are satisfactory and seem to compare well

ConsHeadcount not in line with success levels for the projects committed to - expect to work late.
Highest levels of leadership seem disconnected fromreality. The problems and successes they mention don't seem real. Local leadership struggles with cultural assimilation issues even years after acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd some headcount or drop some projects.

Good Work Life Balance

Test Automation Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Work Life Balance.
Good Culture.

ConsIncrements are not at par with peer companies.
Not much to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Compensation and benefits would motivate employees.

Good company yet tend to overestimate themselves

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

Prossolid vision and execution towards the vision: MFE has reinvented themselves several years back in becoming THE integrated security solutions one stop shop and all decisions and actions are clearly directed towards this target. In areas where MFE is not exactly there yet, a clear path is being defined and it's amazing to watch this grow. Obviously, strong product performance is a huge benefit to getting there and the tie in of the various Product BUs into this larger vision is great. Lastly, the great folks work at this company. Generally, talent is nurtured and appreciated. I have had the honor to work with lots of amazing people so far!

ConsIf there's so much good, there also usually comes a 'but, ..' - in this case the above mentioned Pros account for most of the company, but there's pockets where leadership, strategy and decision making process questionable or unclear. Maybe this is growing pain, being too successful at times so that not all parts of the organization grow at the same pace. What is surprising is that the growth strategy (as communicated and executed) at times seems to imply 'nobody can do without us' - lack of humbleness is an issue. Sadly.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more grounded, humble, open. management tends to be overworked with too little time to understand backgrounds. my comment towards 'lack of humbleness' may simply be a wrong perception based on 'not enough time' ...

3 yrs in IT some good opportunities too many changes

IT Engineer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood opportunities to learn, lot of technologies being implemented. Good place to learn to increase market value and get out, but not that great if you want to stick there.

ConsToo much mgmt change, not good quality hiring in middle mgmt. Snr mgmt also sucks, no vision, whoever has they are changed too frequently. just too much unnecessary and unreasonable change. Lot of wasted talent, and lot of deadweight as well. Regular frustrations. No planning, and too much US based IT personnel(80%), doing not so high-quality work. Too many failed and sucky projects and investments, especially in IT support tools and their implementations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood mgrs are let go and replaced with mediocre low-skill mgmt who seem good the first 6months and an year later realize they have to be replaced as well. No vision, lost direction.

Laid back India office

Technical Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance - you know what that means :) Little work and less pay.
Achieve your MBO goals, earn your bonus and be happy.

ConsDifficult to motivate yourself when everyone around you is so laid back. There is no motivation for anyone to achieve anything other than their MBO goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not just about making policies and setting goals. Unless employees are passionate about what they do and take pride in their work, engagement levels will always be low.

Frustrating Internship

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at McAfee as an intern for less than a year

ProsInnovative software and convenient midtown Manhattan office

Cons-Terrible coordination with customers whose sites they worked on - project did not make any progress throughout the summer I interned
-Poor communication with interns re above - I had to call my supervisor at 7:30 AM to find out if we had work that day

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat interns like people, not a freely accessible corps of labor.

Management and roadmap planning needs to shape up

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and good work/life balance, cafe food is getting exciting, really great instructors at the gym

ConsRoadmap planning is disastrous. We are so deadline driven that sometimes we push a product out so fast that the quality suffers. We are also a very engineering driven company that makes it hard for visions to come true.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management can be blockers.

Good company out Latinioamerica

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany values are good.Fast growing. The good company to start a career. Excellent internal trainning

ConsIn LAT there isn´t interest for people, just the number. The way is the big problem in LAT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush all values to all regions, coaching for medium executives is required

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!

McAfee Videos

McAfee – Why Work for Us?

At McAfee, we’re obsessed about keeping the world safe from the dangers in the digital world. Focused on innovation and cutting-edge research, we look for smart, committed people to help us defend the world against the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McAfee reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for McAfee CEO Michael DeCesare. All 411 reviews are posted anonymously by McAfee employees.