McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros
  • Promotes work-life balance - Remote work is often encouraged for FTEs(in 67 reviews)

• You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Some times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes(in 17 reviews)

Challenging and collaborative software development environment

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Aylesbury, England

ProsAs long as you land in a decent team, you get to work on some cool projects and gain a lot of experience very quickly in a range of marketable technologies.
    Their agile development model works very well. There is a massive focus on software quality, peer reviews, unit test suites, code coverage and some decent tools to support that.

ConsThere are some really bright and knowledgeable development guys here and certainly my immediate senior management superiors are very technical and incredibly receptive, supportive and encouraging of new ideas. But I get the impression that in other groups not everyone is as passionate and I was initially staggered at the ratio of directors, managers, product managers and architects to developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate the integration of McAfee into the wider Intel development work force.

Some great people, terrible leadership

Senior Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, flexible working, good physical environment. Some good ideas coming if only they will get the chance to develop before being managed into oblivion.

ConsIncessant pointless reorganisation means you're always unsure whether you'll still be there next month. Anticipating the annual arbitrary staff reduction doesn't fill you with enthusiasm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrune out the huge number of VPs SVPs Directors Managers that have no useful purpose and then stop reorganising.

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee) London, England

Prossolid company with constant growth and extremely professional and dedicated management and executive team - well positioned in the market thanks to strong partnerships - results driven, rewards great performers, transparent culture and decision making

Consrequires a lot of dedication and personal investment in order to achieve company results and personal/professional growth, which may result in poor work/life balance - minimal salary increases once you are in

Advice to Senior Managementshould reward better the best performers and the people who have been with McAfee for a long time, or they will have to look elsewhere for significant salary increases

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steer Clear

Senior Engineering Director (Current Employee) Usselby, England

ProsStill a few good engineers left

ConsShort termism
    Lack of sustained strategy
    Management at VP a mix of guys who have been there so long, have been promoted by default. New SVP hires been very poor leaders and joined for title rather than their ability.
    The good guys leave - the dead wood stay and add to the general complacency
    Network group has good products in Firewall etc. but the rest limps along. Senior management still investing in areas such as network that are lost leaders due to weak strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementIntel needs to get a grip and shake strongly before all the remaining few good engineers leave completely
    Look carefully at the VP/SVP competencies
    Note - review option does not allow my actual location to be set. UK/US responsibilities.

McAfee Aylesbury - New site, new optimism!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aylesbury, England

ProsGreat new office, close teamwork within R&D across the globe.

ConsCareer progression could be improved.

McAfee Professional Services

ProsLarge number of opportunities within the company. Very supportive staff

ConsLack of planning, focus on meeting quarterly targets

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease inhouse training for the professional service teams

Jack of All Trades

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- People are genuinely collaborative and caring
    - Some great products
    - A clear technical strategy

Cons- The clear technical strategy is unreachable without a significant investment in additional technical staff
    - Little consideration given for work/life balance
    - Very low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in the strategy of acquisition, or factor into it the need to increase the sales + technical resources needed turn acquisitions into successful revenue generators without neglecting the existing portfolio of products.

was good

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

Prosnice people make it a good work place

Conslow pay is a bit of a problem

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it the way it is

Poor Engineering Leadership

Engineering Leader (Current Employee) Aylesbury, England

ProsAbove average salary.
    Fairly good working conditions
    Pension on par with other large corporate companies

ConsLacking in direction - become 'me too' players, follow the crowd
    Do what Intel tell us to do with no pushback
    HR pathetic - not HR at all, purely yes/no sir folk to leadership team

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the company up and get some strategy together - it's sinking slowly but surely.

Horrible place to work

Enterprise Sales (Former Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

ProsGood technology that sells itself

ConsBad management, high staff turnover, lack of internal communication

Advice to Senior ManagementSort yourselves out, respect your staff, focus on empowering your staff

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!