McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros:
  • "Work life balance - you know what that means :) Little work and less pay"
    in 59 reviews
  • "You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "and IDC lost it's mojo with many senior management folks moving away"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging and collaborative software development environment

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Aylesbury, England

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsAs long as you land in a decent team, you get to work on some cool projects and gain a lot of experience very quickly in a range of marketable technologies.
Their agile development model works very well. There is a massive focus on software quality, peer reviews, unit test suites, code coverage and some decent tools to support that.

ConsThere are some really bright and knowledgeable development guys here and certainly my immediate senior management superiors are very technical and incredibly receptive, supportive and encouraging of new ideas. But I get the impression that in other groups not everyone is as passionate and I was initially staggered at the ratio of directors, managers, product managers and architects to developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate the integration of McAfee into the wider Intel development work force.

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 8 years

Prossolid company with constant growth and extremely professional and dedicated management and executive team - well positioned in the market thanks to strong partnerships - results driven, rewards great performers, transparent culture and decision making

Consrequires a lot of dedication and personal investment in order to achieve company results and personal/professional growth, which may result in poor work/life balance - minimal salary increases once you are in

Advice to Senior Managementshould reward better the best performers and the people who have been with McAfee for a long time, or they will have to look elsewhere for significant salary increases

Steer Clear

Senior Engineering Director (Current Employee)
Usselby, England

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStill a few good engineers left

ConsShort termism
Lack of sustained strategy
Management at VP a mix of guys who have been there so long, have been promoted by default. New SVP hires been very poor leaders and joined for title rather than their ability.
The good guys leave - the dead wood stay and add to the general complacency
Network group has good products in Firewall etc. but the rest limps along. Senior management still investing in areas such as network that are lost leaders due to weak strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementIntel needs to get a grip and shake strongly before all the remaining few good engineers leave completely
Look carefully at the VP/SVP competencies
Note - review option does not allow my actual location to be set. UK/US responsibilities.

McAfee Aylesbury - New site, new optimism!

I have been working at McAfee full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat new office, close teamwork within R&D across the globe.

ConsCareer progression could be improved.

McAfee Professional Services

I have been working at McAfee full-time

ProsLarge number of opportunities within the company. Very supportive staff

ConsLack of planning, focus on meeting quarterly targets

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease inhouse training for the professional service teams

Jack of All Trades

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at McAfee for more than 3 years

Pros- People are genuinely collaborative and caring
- Some great products
- A clear technical strategy

Cons- The clear technical strategy is unreachable without a significant investment in additional technical staff
- Little consideration given for work/life balance
- Very low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in the strategy of acquisition, or factor into it the need to increase the sales + technical resources needed turn acquisitions into successful revenue generators without neglecting the existing portfolio of products.

was good

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at McAfee part-time for more than a year

Prosnice people make it a good work place

Conslow pay is a bit of a problem

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it the way it is

Horrible place to work

Enterprise Sales (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsGood technology that sells itself

ConsBad management, high staff turnover, lack of internal communication

Advice to Senior ManagementSort yourselves out, respect your staff, focus on empowering your staff

Abysmal!

Director (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brand credibility, especially being part of Intel!

ConsExtremely poor senior leadership...VP level....absolutely no accountability, no vision, political nightmare, case of biding time and passing the buck on....

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should definitely re-introduce a skip level meeting into the mix if they want to retain good talent....most good employees are staying back purely on the strength of the brand....but the organisation is definitely going downhill if they continue their lack of focus on results and instead motivate employees to become political weasels!

Interesting, but be aware of weasels, dead-end projects, and bad management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at McAfee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros* lots of projects (especially middle-sized and small) being worked on;
* constant need for new ideas, new approaches;
* hard work is usually noticed at the middle management level;
* scope to earn a reputation;
* scope to push yourself;
* being given interesting technical problems to solve is quite common;
* there are very good technical people around (although the number/ratio is decreasing);
* work environment is quite friendly and informal;

Cons* sales-oriented organisation: engineering is a division that most people running the company would get rid of, given half the chance (and that translates into budget decisions, lack of training, etc.);
* projects are planned badly, resulting in common (unpaid) overtime, weekend work, etc.;
* "waterfall" project planning model is everywhere, but teams are expected to work "within it" in an agile manner (there's an obvious conflict in this approach, palpable on the daily work routine more often than not);
* concentration of "weasels" is increasing;
* the "cool" projects are a commodity, and it's usually given to office-politics-focused people (with a few technically able employees added to the team, as otherwise nothing would get done);
* very good technical people increasingly being demotivated, and that having a domino effect on employee morale;
* there is an unhealthy number of office-politics-focused people, which ruins the experience for those around them;
* some people are undeservedly appreciated (especially those into office politics), and can get away with things that any other "mortal" would not, and can get assigned to work on the cool projects for no technical reason;
* sometimes people are hired just to fill in positions, and the "least bad" is offered the job (but no courage/incentive to avoid hiring people that aren't good enough);
* employee feedback is only acted upon "infrastructural" stuff, but the heavy politics are an impediment to do anything else on other aspects;
* middle management is powerless (probably not an uncommon trait in the current corporate world), and are too afraid to challenge anything, almost always choosing to ignore feedback from employees;

Advice to Senior Management* work on the corporate culture: it's not good for people working in engineering;
* read the "cons" comments above, and do something about it, before the good people continue leaving the company;
* encourage middle management to engage with direct reports, and be prepared to listen and act on the feedback received;
* give managers management training;
* get rid of bad managers (listen to all employees feedback, or good luck spotting the "bad managers" yourselves);
* be prepared to pay for good technical people, and improve the hiring process (to be able to better tell who's good and who's just "talking the talk");

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!

McAfee Videos

McAfee – Why Work for Us?

At McAfee, we’re obsessed about keeping the world safe from the dangers in the digital world. Focused on innovation and cutting-edge research, we look for smart, committed people to help us defend the world against the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McAfee reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for McAfee CEO Michael DeCesare. All 409 reviews are posted anonymously by McAfee employees.