McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Jul 29, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm (in 45 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year (in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights
30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

McGladrey pays above market, and has amazing culture. GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- Great salary (competitive) and excellent benefits (Best 401(k) in public accounting)
    - Best firm culture I have experienced
    - Excellent training's
    - Coaches really care and work with coachees so they can be successful
    - Lots of opportunities for bonuses, promotions, and experience in different industries
    - Great clients, with a lot of opportunity to gain client experience
    - Very flexible with CPA Exam studying, and highly support employees to get it done
    - Very flexible with PTO, and really prides itself on the work/life balance
    - Partners and upper level management are very approachable and follow up with lower level employees upon being hired to make sure all is going well

Cons- Not the best tasting coffee in the office
    - Sometimes to many training's and conferences makes scheduling tough
    - Internet always seems to go out in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, just keep up the great work. I am very happy with McGladrey and my decision to join the firm several years ago, as you can tell by the cons above (nothing significant). VERY HAPPY with how this company is run.

Good company, slower pace than big4 but slow learning curve to match

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIts in a Good location
    If you chose to make it a priority, good Work life balance

ConsDefinitely below market pay and due to large staff turnover, understaffed

Great place to work

Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros"Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time. The hours here are better than most places. I averaged about 60 billable hours/week during busy season. I don't have a complaint about my compensation and the people I work with are great

ConsName recognition. The name isn't as well know as some of McG's competitors. I work in one of the largest offices and at times I feel like just an employee number to management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they could be so much better

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDepending on level, if you have proven you're good there is a certain amount of autonomy. The company has good learning tools and the technical aspects of national announcements are quite good and enable one to have a working knowledge of new pronouncements easily. From a technical standpoint they try to get things right.

ConsDepending on the partner and your level there may be a certain amount of work done without a clear reason or end goal. There is constant pressure to stay within unrealistic budgets driven by low fees demanded by clients to stay with McGladrey. There is pressure to be a rainmaker. Once management has decided you will not go further they lose touch because you're only machinery & eqpt. to them

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management - especially in NY

This is a "String of Regional Accounting Firms"

Consulting Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThey have a good infrastructure on national training at Q center, and decent employee benefits, and good exposure to clients at even at Jr levels. If you work hard, manager's are not going to stop you. You then get experience you don't get at Big 4 firms, but obviously with less pay. Your best bet is move to HQ in Chicago, or offices in the South or West where the clients in your Line of Business is growing.

ConsIt completely depends on which Line of Business you work in. Some just don't get it, while other businesses work cohesively within.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue as is and hope to get lucky winning new business through hard sales efforts.

Good

Audit Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNice place to gain knowledge if you are a hard worker.

ConsGrowth can become challenging when you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear in terms of expectations with high performers. Otherwise chances may be to lose good employees. Reward them who deserves the best.

Great company...poor money

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood corporate culture, very relaxed on time availability and working remotely

ConsAlways restructuring, 1% promotions or raises, skills of support staff/departments are under utilized

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives to ALL of your employees to get the best result

Offers learning experiances

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCoaching employees to enrich career.

ConsDoes not provide work life balance

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good entry level job

Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance, good work environment, excellent leadership

ConsPoor training of employees, extremely poor job of retaining good staff

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the staff you rely on

No job stability

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsSome of the training was good. Some of the assignments were interesting.

ConsPlace is a revolving door. Even if you are making the company money, they will eventually send you on your way. If you are not one of the mid-west inner circle, eventually you will be gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind work somewhere else.

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!