McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

McGladrey LLP Managing Partner & CEO Joe Adams

Joe Adams

Pros
  • The work-life balance is significantly better than what you will get at a Big 4 firm(in 44 reviews)

• While it isn't the Big 4, they pay you a decent amount in salary(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a struggle for most of the year(in 34 reviews)

• I was sent out of town for 4 weeks in a row during busy season(in 32 reviews)

Great up and coming office with endless opportunities

Assurance Senior Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsI have worked in the McGladrey Atlanta office for just under two years now. Before that I had interned at one of the larger McGladrey offices in the region. When I started in this office there were around 35 employees. The office was about three years old at the time did not have any partners. My initial thoughts after transferring to Atlanta were that: the administrative staff had not been properly trained and were of absolutely no help, the office did not have near the amount of firm resources that other offices had, the employees had not received all of the proper training and the management was lackluster to say the least. All in all, the office seemed to lack guidance.

With all of that being said, the Atlanta office has made a 180 degree change in the last year. This change can be attributed to the addition of two new partners, a couple of internal transfers, a few experienced hires, and a complete overhaul of the administrative staff. The office has "cleaned house" and focused on bringing the right people in and not just settling on the first candidate to walk in the door. Campus recruiting efforts have drastically increased, which has allowed the office to have a true starting class in the fall. The partners have brought the leadership and structure that this office had so desperately needed. The office went from having no social events to having monthly happy hours, multiple charity fundraisers, a very nice holiday and end of busy season party, and much more. The firm has invested a generous amount of time and money into this office and the employees have both noticed and appreciated this effort. The staff level employees are friends in and out of work and have contributed to the friendly culture in the Atlanta office. The Atlanta office has a small office feel with all of the resources of a large national firm. The partners are easily accessible, have an open door policy and are always open to comments and suggestions.

This office is expected to double, even triple in size over the next few years. For that reason, this office is a great source of opportunity for the young professional, especially those with an entrepreneurial mindset.

I can truly say that I am completely happy with the direction I see this office going. I am excited to be a part of this office as it grows and to be able to get in on the ground floor.

Cons--This office is new, which means that all of our clients are fairly new. This can be a source of frustration that will work itself out as we revisit these clients year over year.

--The office staff can sometimes feel overloaded due to the small size of the audit and tax teams. This has continued to get better over time thanks to the addition of more experienced hires and internal transfers (which the firms is aggressively persuing).

--The Atlanta office shares HR, scheduling, recruiting and report processing with other offices because we are not yet large enough to house those functions in this office. This can cause headaches during the day to day but will hopefully be alleviated once the office is large enough to house their own HR, scheduler, recruiter and report processor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the change and continue to recognize your people. We, as employees, have appreciated the efforts made by senior management and partners to recognize employees and make sure that each employee is happy and feels appreciated.

McGladrey pays above market, and has amazing culture. GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- Great salary (competitive) and excellent benefits (Best 401(k) in public accounting)
    - Best firm culture I have experienced
    - Excellent training's
    - Coaches really care and work with coachees so they can be successful
    - Lots of opportunities for bonuses, promotions, and experience in different industries
    - Great clients, with a lot of opportunity to gain client experience
    - Very flexible with CPA Exam studying, and highly support employees to get it done
    - Very flexible with PTO, and really prides itself on the work/life balance
    - Partners and upper level management are very approachable and follow up with lower level employees upon being hired to make sure all is going well

Cons- Not the best tasting coffee in the office
    - Sometimes to many training's and conferences makes scheduling tough
    - Internet always seems to go out in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, just keep up the great work. I am very happy with McGladrey and my decision to join the firm several years ago, as you can tell by the cons above (nothing significant). VERY HAPPY with how this company is run.

Great Firm!

Assurance Director (Current Employee)

ProsThey take quality and integrity seriously. I have some great mentors that have helped guide my career

ConsLong hours and you have to work some crazy hours to make partner

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd a mandatory retirement age for Partners. Old guys eat up a lot of salary and don't nearly contribute what the younger folks do

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Assurance Associate

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for. Given plenty of resources to perform and exceed at each level. I've worked with many individuals in office across the U.S and continue to run into great employees. Great opportunity for promotions and advancement in your career.

ConsThis is a very fast paced industry that will involve a lot of time and dedication. Your success is really dependent on what you put into your career.

McGladrey LLP is a unique, middle market accounting and advising firm full of driven, well educated and fun people.

, Audit (Current Employee) McLean, VA (US)

ProsGreat opportunities for growth, all based on merit. If you're willing to put in the work, they are willing to promote you and allow you to seek out more challenges. Offers annual update conferences and training to all staff in Audit, Tax, and Consulting lines of business. Many opportunities for growth the Big 4 do not have.

ConsHigh mid level management turnover. As a middle market accounting firm, McGladrey works with growing companies that love pulling excellent staffers away from public accounting. Many choose that route.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to encourage people to stay in Public accounting, a lot of good talent is lost to the private sector.

Great place to work

Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros"Work life balance" are three words that get mid size recruiters bark at all time. The hours here are better than most places. I averaged about 60 billable hours/week during busy season. I don't have a complaint about my compensation and the people I work with are great

ConsName recognition. The name isn't as well know as some of McG's competitors. I work in one of the largest offices and at times I feel like just an employee number to management.

Long-time Senior Associate

Senior Associate (Non CPA) (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH (US)

ProsReal directors and career advisors who care if you take the time to talk with them. I've built my career here and feel that I am fortunate to work with some pretty great people. There were a few rocky years during the transition from the partner company, but now that the branding is settled, everything else seems to be falling into place, as well. Their is HUGE growth in the Ohio market, especially in technology and health care consulting.

ConsI sometimes feel as though the Chicago-office professionals are promoted before other offices, given that it is the headquarters. All employees should be promoted based upon the annual review process and performance... not location. I see several folks around me who are discouraged year-after-year because of broken promises made about potential career advancement and promotions that didn't happen. HR and advisors need to be honest or risk losing good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the flexibility and work-life balance that you have. It attracts new talent but it's also a factor in keeping good employees!

McGladrey LLP is a great place to work

Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsAbility to gain lots of experience. Clear promotion track. Great place to start a career.

ConsLong hours during busy season. Some traveling.

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to work for mid-west Accountants and CPAs

ConsIf you're not an accountant or CPA don't expect senior management to understand your role.

Good place depending on position

ProsInternational company with many easy to access offices

Consstatus and promotions, difficult to climb

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!