McKinsey & Company

McKinsey & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

McKinsey & Company Managing Director Dominic Barton

Dominic Barton

Pros
  • Very smart people to bounce thought off and get new angles that you haven't thought of (in 65 reviews)

• Great people to work with, get to learn a lot from colleagues as well as senior leadership (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to have a lot of self discipline to keep work life balance reasonable (in 160 reviews)

• Very long hours and continual expectation of over-performance (in 158 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Associate Principal (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSolving critical problems in challenging situation, highly stimulating, exposure to top management across the best companies. I would recommend an experience in McKinsey to any friend.

ConsVery challenging to balance work-life balance, at times it is a lot of travel and pressure

Inspiring place, great values

Management Consultant Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsAccelerated learning and career growth, brilliant colleagues, world-shaping problems, great mentorship, fantastic travel opportunities, unparalleled alumni network, great friends for life

ConsYou will need to invest yourself fully in this firm - you can't just "get by". As one of my mentors said, "Love it or leave it"

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wary of your risk aversion

Associate

Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat learning, Great people, exposure to top management of companies. In my view the best place to work.

ConsTravel can be difficult especially for longer distance projects. However partners do whatever they can to accommodate your needs if you are under pressure from the travels.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and environment; challenging yet supportive culture; very strong values and ethos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCamaraderie, team working, intellectually stimulating, learn a lot very quickly and given lots of exposure to clients at all levels

ConsTough hours and travel at times; experience very dependent on team, so worth working out quickly which people you like, respect and work well with.

Excellent experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChange industries (and boss) every few months

ConsLifestyle can be really hard.

An amazing experience, but it requires lots of resilience

Senior Expert (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe people you get to work with, the problems you're asked to solve, and the Firm's lived values are all excellent

ConsThe hours, the intensity, the grind are all challenging. And it can be tricky to work out what advice is genuinely in your interests.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere would be no harm in being a tad more explicit on commercial expectations, in my view. It ought to be possible to do this in a way that remains coherent with the Firm's values.

Great experience - great people

ProsCareer opportunities are great after McKinsey, it is a valuable experience, international mobility is good and you meet great people

ConsThe work / life balance is not always easy to manage, so the pros of the company help a lot in tough times

Very intense, but very satisfying and high impact

Engagement Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWork on top management problems at all times

ConsVery long hours and continual expectation of over-performance

The best choice out of b-school

Senior Engagement Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAmazing training
    Great entrepreneurial culture
    Very smart and motivated people
    Work on C-suite level problems is fascinating

ConsLike all consulting, you have to move from a content-heavy role to a relationship-heavy role fairly quickly

Great fun, constant challenge

ProsColleagues are clever, fun, and interesting
    Always new things to think about

ConsTravel gets you down after a while

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!