Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

It started good, got bad, then tripped down the rabbit hole to hit the awful bottom.

Producer (Former Employee)
Spartanburg, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsActive TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High news numbers; Sold off Newspapers!

ConsNo raises; Furloughs; No opportunity for Growth; No bonuses; Pay is not competitive with market; Mismanagement and lack of communication within departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. Not adaptable to changes in technology/ways of doing things. Still run on "old school" notion -- news flash, newspapers do not run the media industry anymore. Focus on things in specific markets. Utilize Social Media more.

Epic Disappointment for ambitious sales minded professionals

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Coffee, exceptional hours, good parking, professional atmosphere.

ConsAntiquated system and technology, poor management, lack of ingenuity. Takes two weeks to access reports. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Far fetched expectations with out a firm foundation to work from.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your minds and doors to new ideas and spend some time and money in IT.

Good people, good company

I have been working at Media General

ProsSupport staff, Management who genuinely care about their employees, and growth potential in the digital medium.

ConsPrint industry is in trouble.

Too Many Managers who manage nothing but their personal lives

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Media General

ProsGreat Place to grow professionally. There are many benefits to working for #1 Newspaper, #1 TV station and #1 Local News Website.

ConsWith so many changes in 2011 managers and employees were left wondering if their job would exist in the next week. They recently laid off 165 employees a week before Christmas. If you have a great year and bring in revenue over your annual budget you will pay for it the following year. To save money and even the playing field your percentage paid will be scaled down. You must work twice as hard to make the same as the previous year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim middle management, empower and create incentives that motivate your employees, effectively combat regional competition, and invest in younger employees through management training.

Shambles!

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General

ProsThere are a few good mid-level managers left, who somehow survived the lay-offs, and these managers are great to work for and have defended front-line workers as best they could.

ConsMassive waves of lay-offs have contributed to a cynical, dog-eat-dog culture. The pay is terrible and worsening. And management seems to be unable to cope gracefully with the Richmond Times-Dispatch's dwindling relevance.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on creating more niche market and hyper-local publications, online or print. Also, a restructuring of the entire classified advertising section is needed. Perhaps more free ads for advertisers are needed -- or something like the first X amount of lines are free, etc. It just seems pointless to pay for classified ads these days.

company is struggling

Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Media General

ProsA good place to get experience

Conscontsant layoffs and furloughs. Not many opportunites for advancement

Man Overboard

I worked at Media General

ProsThe job was interesting, varied and informative. My colleagues were the company's best asset. Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper.

ConsSadly, no one is buying newspapers anymore so there is a sense of futility in the newsroom. Waves of layoffs have sunk morale to a level of hopelessness. Management lays off productive, dedicated, long term employees like they were old news. Management doesn't have a clue how to save the newspsper so they lay off workers to boost the bottom line rather than cut the high paid decision-makers. As a result the newspaper suffers because there aren't enough people to produce meaningful content. Management is cold and clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassess your approach to keeping the newspaper a viable product. Rehire some of the seasoned journalists you've laid off and reduce the number of highly paid upper management.

My experience was very good.

Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Media General

ProsColleagues are wonderful, interesting people. Working in same building with TV station WFLA and website TBO.com provides good multimedia experience. Building is in nice location downtown with picture windows overlooking the Hillsborough River.

ConsAtmosphere a little depressing due to state of newspapers, shrinkage in newsroom staffing and news hole and continued threat of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is probably doing everything it can in a difficult situation. It could perhaps do more to let employees know how much they are appreciated.

Good people but company is in rough waters

I worked at Media General

ProsThe people there are great and the atmosphere is relaxed. They are going through cutbacks. For someone lacking job experience and not looking for top dollar they are a good opportunity to build your resume.

ConsMG is a media company in a bad economy and there have been many cutbacks. In the second half of 2011 they mandated 15 furlough days.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've been giving yourself raises while the company is going down the tubes. What does that do for morale? I bet you could find a better CEO for less than half the money. Evaluate the products that Digital Media is turning out.

In four years I learned that Media General will not get past their news paper mentality.

Central Broadcast Controller (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Media General

ProsThey are spread out nicely around the south eastern united states. They have some nice perks for working in media and have lots of way to help other people.

ConsThey have tons of debt, tons of news papers, and no plan on how to make money. Their is little growth and constant threat of lay offs and furloughs. Internal transfers are never followed up on and would rather hire local less qualified people then keep current people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need a clear plan forward and stop asking employees for ideas or their money.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Media General employees.