Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients (in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Very sportive company

Sales Representative (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood wage, open bonus, great team

ConsVery quarterly focus target, not long term

Medtronic - How on earth did they make it into the Times top 100?

Customer Services Administrator (Current Employee) Watford, East of England, England

ProsThey are very high tech in their technology & growing fast and always recruiting. SOME people are friendly. 25 days holiday per year.

ConsCramped offices/Low morale. No restaurant. Poor facilities. Head office in the middle of nowhere. Each individual has to do their own franking of post including recorded delivary. You have to use up allocation of holiday over Christmas time - poor!

Advice to Senior ManagementFor gooddness sake get someone in the post room. I'm sick of breaking my back.

Great Company

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent technology and I work with great people.
    Mission is very powerful and everybody understands and supports it.
    Phd Bakken founder is still alive and he is an icon.
    Great compensation, benefits, medical , the works....
    Very international but still learning how to become global.
    The CEO has brought the stock up, great job there.

ConsMinneapolis Politics and every Division is like a different company.
    Worst culture in CRDM, nothing moves and layer over layer, needs some change.
    The CEO brings people from the outside every time he has an opportunity to a VP level specially his buddies from GE, there is an abundant talent within.
    He shows very little emotion as a leader, so difficult to rally behind him, get a coach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bringing people from the outside specially GE, there are really smart people inside Medtronic.
    Stop the splitting of businesses and putting layers of VP's and stop squeezing the people below it is not fun and every year gets more difficult to energize people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great intro to working life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEntry level, projects well defined

ConsProjects would run out and it would be difficult to stay busy

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns are ready to be busy and want to learn so take advantage of the willingness to work hard

OKAY

Prosgreat benefits., great wages, great retirement

Conspoor upper management,, in the weeds all the time.

Proud to be working for Medtronic

ProsGreat work/life balance, profitable company, great corporate vision, amazing products, great reputation in Medical device industry

ConsYou should promote your internal candidates rather hiring an outsider

Great place to work, future still strong

Principal Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Rosa, CA (US)

ProsContinued growth, potential merger with creates excitement, time off, ethical company that strives for product quality as the patient is really first and conforms to the mission to extend life, alleviate pain, restore health

Conswork-life balance can be challenging at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSome divisions are very stressed in comparison with similar sized companies, creating over-worked employees

Very corporate, but full of opportunity, many brilliant minds, and very rewarding to improve people's lives

Senior R&D Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company has a very strong mission statement that is timeless and effective, improves the life of millions, believes in volunteerism and supporting one's community, and has a giant network of incredible people that can work together to solve problems. Perks include great benefits, ability to transfer within the company, ability to travel and attend conferences, and having a lot of training courses as well as wellness screenings provided on site.

ConsLike any large corporation, there can be a lot of red tape and a lot of bad management, especially in upper management. Some parts are too top heavy (in management). Much of management sugar coats and hides behind the truth, only few are wiling to tell you like it is to gain your trust. Layoffs are extremely impersonal and most of the time handled very poorly. Corporate headquarters is really insensitive and bullish and illogical when it comes to making decisions that affect all of Medtronic (regarding things including tuition reimbursement, vacation policy, rollout of Medtronic-wide systems, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be transparent and trust your employees. Even if it's bad news, be honest and genuine.
    I believe that all sites should have a gym and shower available to employees.
    Try not to let business units get too top heavy... the people at the bottom do most of the work, they should be recognized as such.

Genuine effort to care for their employees

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsI enjoyed the culture in Minneapolis. Everyone had pride in their work and it showed. There would be many mini special events that catered to employee health and well being.

ConsThere was a tendancy for some groups to become somwhat cliquey, which took away from the experience being as diverse.

Great Workplace

Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Mounds View, MN (US)

ProsPatient focus, strong work ethics and great colleagues

ConsFuture growth opportunities very limited.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!