Meralco Reviews

33 reviews filtered by
3.8
Manuel V Pangilinan

1. Performance and Rewards Associate

I have been working at Meralco full-time

Pros

Good competitive atmosphere
    Challenging work
    Good training
    Good exposure to different businesses due to exposure to their subsidiaries

Cons

Nothing I can think off right now

Advice to Management

More power

2. One of the BEST

Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in Pasig, Province of Iloilo (Philippines)

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, compensation,health care, lots of activities, work life balance is ok

Cons

favoritism and too much politics

3. Site Engineer

I worked at Meralco

Pros

Good working with the Professional Electrical Engineers.

Cons

Downsides only with the job contracts and salaries.

Advice to Management

There must be some specifications for the safety and precautions for the workers in the site everyday.

5. Good company but poor with interns

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Meralco as an intern

Pros

They give interns/OJTs with seminars and proper briefings about the company. They assign the interns to different branch near to their home if possible.

Cons

Jobs for the interns are not ready. My experience is that when I arrived at my office, my supervisor didn't have anything for me to work on, so I was idle for some time. Luckily, the other supervisor made me help the other interns so that I would have something to do

6. If you are an engineer, this is a good place for training but not advisable to stay for long term.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pasig City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pasig City (Philippines)

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Good place for training.

2. Health benefits

Cons

1. MERALCO DOESN'T GIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES TO EMPLOYEES AND APPLICANTS. Career opportunities and extensive trainings are only given for few new comers who got good grades in college and not to those who have proven themselves to be productive and efficient. Meralco offers higher starting salaries to employees who graduated from "popular" manila schools.

2. It is an engineering company where engineers and technical persons are not well compensated. In fact, many of these technical guys just come and go. They resign from Meralco and join other companies local and abroad. Average salary of engineers working for more than 5 years could not even support the expenses of a small family with decent lifestyle. The company is more focused in providing good welfare and resources to athletes, who don't even contribute to its income rather than the technical and field persons who are the breadwinners.

3. More often than not, regardless of individuals' competencies or abilities, opportunities for managers and high performance ratings are only confined to the close friends/acquaintances of the VPs and up.

4. Powerless employees' union group - always agree with the managements' proposal for low salary increases (average of 1,500 increase in monthly salary per year). No efforts made to counter job lay-offs.

5. Not a safe workplace - the company is reluctant to spend the required safety equipment and training for ALL field employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to focus and take care of your technical employees.

7. In Meralco, I experienced working in a family-oriented environment.

Current Employee - Associate in Pasig City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Associate in Pasig City (Philippines)

I have been working at Meralco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is work-life balance in Meralco. Employees especially those assigned in Ortigas have the easy access to Meralco's sports facilities. People are friendly even the bosses especially of CIT group. As part of CIT family and Customer Management Systems in general, I was able to work wearing different hats which for me is an advantage. The government regulations make work in CMS even more challenging. Trainings are free and without bonds. We have a number of guaranteed bonuses in Meralco. Benefits like hmo and leaves are at par with other good companies.

Cons

The compensation for CIT employees lower compared to other IT companies.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation based on industry standards.

Stable Company

Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in Pasig City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in Pasig City (Philippines)

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Career growth with continuous training opportunities. Corporate Social Responsibility is top notch. Continuously improving processes and is abreast with technology.

Cons

Challenges are the constant negative issues regarding power rates and sometimes some irate customers can no longer distinguish between the company and it's employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of the rank and file personnel who has loyally served the company for more than 20 years.

Life Changing..

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well established and stable company. Good training ground for new professionals to acquire technical skills and competencies.

Cons

Work-life balance is poor. Career opportunities for technical people aiming for management level is not a trend. Salary for engineers does not compensate the workload and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Review the factors concerning the engineers and other technical people in Operations. Why most of the best personnel wants to leave the company? Are they neglected, disregarded, overlooked or mismanaged? Or something wrong with the organizational heads? Maybe they feel they don't get much of what they deserve..Only one thing is for sure, there is something that needs to be done here.

Good for training ground working experience but not a good place to stay for long :)

Former Employee - Secret in Pasig, Rizal (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Secret in Pasig, Rizal (Philippines)

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has a lot of Pros way back then, but when the new management took over, everythings all about sales and money. Welfare of low level employees out of picture.

Cons

If you are an employee who is driven and has high ambitions in life, don't aim to join this company. They only value the team leader position and up but the lower level employees, NO! There are a lot of other companies that can offer you job security with better opportunities. Low level potential employees are not well taken care of, no career growth and low paid salary.

Advice to Management

Have an open and fair opportunities for all employees. The performance base system is still not well implemented. High politics, palakasan system.

11. Superb

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Pasig City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Pasig City (Philippines)

I worked at Meralco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The processes in Meralco are all world class. They provide trainings to their employees. It has a Work & Life balance.

Cons

Since it is a very big company, there is somehow a limited room for growth in advancing to the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

N/A