MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros:
  • "work life balance is very good, employees are friendly and easy to work with"
    in 81 reviews
  • "I do appreciate my compensation and MetLife offers great benefits"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lean work force, very aggressive timelines, work/life balance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hectic but fun!

IT Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at MetLife as a contractor for more than a year

Prosgreat team of people in the UK office

Consnone that I can think of

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great Colleagues, good benefits

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are good and most colleagues are very nice.

ConsDifficult to progress, poor salaries internally

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people that work hard for you

Good Company to work for but only on contract basis

Programmer Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at MetLife as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat offices location in London.

ConsVery biurocratic and US centric organization you have to be either American or extremely well connected in America to reach executive roles. A lot over very heavy characters that in most cases limit the ability of this company and brand to fully develop in the UK

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on innovation as opposed to autocratic backward processes. Enforce key talent to manage the business in a modern and forward looking way. Only the lack of innovation is keeping this company from growth, that’s 100% visible in the stock price which should be well over 70 by now. Management can’t come up with a credible growth story they can sell to the marker & analysts. Develop a strategy, establish milestones, realize the milestone show growth, build investor confidence that you can deliver on your strategies then benefit. Unfortunate management has a poor story, no one buys it, they poorly define milestones, can’t deliver them or show that they delivered them, cant’ differentiate themselves from the rest of the insurance market, hence the $40 share price.

a good company that do the right thing for staff and customers

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at MetLife

Prosvery good money, good products to sell that do what they are supposed to do, excellent admin & support,

Conspoor career advancement, commision only sales basis, no prospects just pure sales position

Advice to Senior Managementthe management do a very good job of leading the sales force but more recognition is needed

Don't swamp the UK creativity in American approaches to business.

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MetLife

ProsIt is a stable reliable company to work for that is not going anywhere soon and provides reasonable benefits and the opportunity to work outside London. But, a number of times I have seen really good ideas generated by UK staff and the result is often that US policies and approaches are applied without really considering the idea generated.

ConsAmerican ownership can be a bit of a downer when they run roughshod over the ideas and innovations of staff in the UK. A number of times I have seen really good ideas generated by UK staff and the result is often that US policies and approaches are applied without really considering the idea generated.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture the creativity of staff in the UK and encourage there independence.

Worklife balance is great

Investment Analyst (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsWorklife balance, senior management exposure

ConsUncertainty due to regulations, career opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage switching departments

Overall a Great Company

Closing Loan Coordinator (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and corporate culture

ConsPulled out of mortgage industry

Opportunities to improve, but slow growth - CEO needs to stop importing ideas from outside and improve from within.

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company values, work/life balance, and opportunities to interface with the customers. Strong diversity and inclusion policies and opportunities to get involved in more than just your job. Many departments, some mobility across units. Decent resources and reasonable benefits. Hours are not bad, and friendly to family-focused individuals.

ConsPolitical end-of-year evaluations, slow promotions and salary growth, and unless you're part of the favored few, little clarity into management decisions. If you're critical to your position, may be difficult to move to another. Conservative, slow, consensus-style investments. Oftentimes will have people hired from outside above you instead of promoting from within which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the investment office from NJ to NYC or Jersey City - you'll get more of the candidates you seek. True up salary - your best people are leaving because you don't pay them similarly to competitors like AIG and Prudential.

Excellent company

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey give you the tools you need to get your job done

ConsThey should rework their compensation structure

Great Place to Work If you work hard!

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent corporate culture, and you're selling the best financial and insurance products in the world. There's a ton of support, and if you're willing to work hard, there are ways to stay head-above-water after the trial base salary wears off (which is like 6 months in). Residual income from a book of business is a very real possibility, which can start essentially being enough to live on after a dozen or so sales.

ConsThe job is almost exclusively commission, which can certainly be daunting. Met is also undergoing a bit of a philosophy change currently, so a lot of the old guard is changing, and this can be an intimidating time in anyone's career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my time there, the only "advice" I'd have for management is to keep up the good work. While I feel they could attempt to be more hands on with their new people, I don't know that they could do it without spreading themselves too thin.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!

MetLife Videos

MetLife – Why Work for Us?

As one of the world’s largest and most successful life insurance and financial services companies, MetLife makes a difference in the lives of over 90 million customers around the world who count on us to help them… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetLife reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MetLife CEO Steven A. Kandarian. All 800 reviews are posted anonymously by MetLife employees.