Michaels Stores

1,101 Reviews
2.9
1,101 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a good job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hickory, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hickory, NC (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Great people to work with, nice atmosphere, customers are normally very nice, tasks are generally easy, and get to see all the pieces of art done by customers.

Cons

No real training, pay and the hours stink, email collecting is a major part of the job, and have to work long hours just to get a break.

Treat employees better and give some sort of a raise.

Quit after 5 years. Frustrating management and company practices. Good and bad, some nice people there.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Events in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist/Events in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

Creative surroundings are a plus. Lots of pretty things to look at. Free craft classes for employees (supplies not included, of course) Birthday parties for kids were fun. Get to move around a lot.

Cons

Full time employment required open work availability making other aspects of life unrealistic to pursue e.g. education, or any other activities outside of work. Hours range is all over the place and schedule is different week to week. Raises yearly on lower half of a dollar hourly, usually around .30-.50 cents. Can take years for promotions to become available and usually require working in a different city away from where you're living. Lots of waste and seasonal products thrown out. Lots of junky pre-landfill products sold. Various invasions of personal privacy e.g. bag and coat checks daily and all locker combos required to be kept on file to search employee lockers whenever.

Show your employees you value them as assets to the company. Give incentives. Foster and encourage growth and development.

Worth the work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

While the customers are rude most of the time, the other employess at this location are great. My boss is understanding if we need to switch shifts with each other, she doesn't overload us with work, and if we need extra hours she makes sure to either schedule for some extra days or call us in first when someone calls out.

Cons

Don't always get enough hours to start off with, and can't always find someone to switch shifts with if I absolutely need to be off that day. Small store, so it gets very crowded very quick.

A slight raise for sales associates and cashiers would be great. For dealing with people the way that we have to do, I believe we deserve to be paid a little bit more. 9$ an hour or so as a base pay would be a good start. Firing people who do not do their job and excessively call out for no reason would be a huge improvement also.

Used to be great / now not so much

Current Employee - CEM in Stockton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CEM in Stockton, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Fun environment if you like arts and crafts. Clean stores and ever changing merchandise . Flexible scheduling if you're part time or non management .

Cons

WAY, understaffed. Expectations are ridiculous with the amount of work vs the amount of help you are budgeted for. Not a lot of room for advancement .

Go back to having more than 1 FT. Sales associate . We used to have 4 not including framing and now we have 1 with the same amount of work. It's unachievable. Hobby Lobby kills us on the customer service because of the lack of people in the sales floor. Hold managers accountable ,stop slapping wrists and dangling carrots in front of people who are genuinely interested in moving up . Associate appreciation is lacking which creates poor morale . That along with low wages for part time associates does not make for a successful operation .

Former Framing Asssociate

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Avon, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Avon, CT (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Manager allowed me to adjust my part-time schedule to fit with my full-time job.

Cons

Rude customers in the area the store was located in. Not enough staff to clean and reset store after closing.

It was a lot of work with little reward, so many products to remember and know how to use.

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are an artist or crafty person and know how to use the products, it's nice to be able to share your knowledge and be surrounded by inspiration. Finally having a website that is available for shopping seems to have made it easier on everyone. There is room to grow in the company at the store level, however not much compensation for more workload.

Cons

Unfortunately, if you don't know the products, sometimes it can be frustrating speaking with customers. Corporate is far away from a lot of their stores and they can't see what simple updates can be done to make it easier on customers to find what they need and for associates to do their jobs. There is no training program unless you are in upper management or the framing department, so many cashiers and floor associates are thrown into the mix and have a hard time figuring out how to do their jobs.

Come up with at least some sort of training program for new associates, make updates to the stores and cross-train associates to do all facets of the jobs at Michael's.

fun place to work

I worked at Michaels Stores

Pros

fun atmoshpere, great people, flexible schedule

Cons

our managers were known for telling us everything we did wrong, and rarely what we did right

A place of creativity!

Current Employee - Office Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Office Support Specialist

I have been working at Michaels Stores

Pros

Good company with great benefits and perks, a company that you can move up in no time!

Cons

A lot of work for the hours you have. Depending on position your pay not compensate what your doing.

be more supportive of replenishment and support specialist teams, they help keep the store together.

Frame Shop was a good place to work

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Boone, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Boone, NC (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers and managers were all very friendly, free classes for employees, great employee discount (25%), always felt busy working in the frame shop, casual dress code policies

Cons

Scheduling was always a problem, never gave enough hours, got bored very easily as a sales associate on the floor

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!