Michaels Stores

Updated 19 August 2014
Updated 19 August 2014

2.8

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

good company bad management

Pros

*Benefits
    *Customers
    *Fun place to work when you have good managers

Cons

*Bad training program
    *No employee engagement
    *Bad HR

Great job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Mobile, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL (US)

Pros

Flexible hours to meet my needs, friendly co-workers, most of the customers were great to interact with, management easy to approach

Cons

some of the workers could be clique-ish

I like to work!

Current Employee - Stockman  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Stockman in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

I'm good and work well with others!

Cons

I can only limited to a certain amount!

I work well with others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One big cluster of inconsistent information.

Former Employee - Crafts Instructor  in  West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Crafts Instructor in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

Pros

I was able to make my own hours . The problem was that I made myself available everyday and I wasn't told until after they made the schedule that I had to call in 24hrs prior to a class to see if anyone enrolled online. I could never make any plans in case someone enrolled at the last minute. Also, they wanted us to go on our own time to different businesses and communities to try to get people enrolled in a class.

Cons

Managers have too many responsibilities so nothing is really achieved.

Part Time Replenishment Associate

Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate  in  Dothan, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Dothan, AL (US)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. I love the early morning hours and putting all of the merchandise out.

Cons

Store management was very poor, no communication or appreciation for all of the hard work everyone did. The work we did was very hard physically, a lot of lifting and using a ladder. Not many hours available.

I think Michael's should care more about their employees and make sure management is doing a good job in this area. Also, procedures are changed weekly, so its very hard to keep up with what is expected.

Good Company

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

Offers a good employee discount, went up to 30% as I was leaving. Felt like a community, co-workers were very nice and generally customers are interesting and kind people.

Cons

Handling grumpy customers. The cashier doesn't walk around that much, so didn't get to now the store or product that well, since there wasn't a chance to wonder.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Plover, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Plover, WI (US)

Pros

I love this company. The job is easy, and the environment is friendly and inviting.

Cons

My manager is really hard to get along with. He has his favorites, and I am not one of them. I work hard, but I do not receive any praise from him. He didn't even recognize me after working for 2 years. Also, our email goals are difficult to attain.

One question: Why are we not more sustainable? Could we please recycle our paper waste? I hate throwing ad away, knowing it will go in the landfill. I understand that they are from 30% post-consumer content, but I wish we could do something more to benefit the planet.

Great at first.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Sterling, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sterling, VA (US)

Pros

It was a good place to get the first look at new products, and the discount was decent. A great place for someone creative and crafty. You meet many different people and are exposed to many different creative ideas/processes.

Cons

Management at the store in which I worked, left something to be desired. Instead of pulling people off to the side to correct them, corrections were made in front of customers and fellow employees. Hours were mostly part-time, and pay was a tad above minimum wage. Expect to be on your feet for your entire shift.

Consider pulling your employees to the side before correcting them on major issues.

Good coworkers, Micromanagement

Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate

Pros

Starting early in the morning lets me get out and still have the day to get other things done. Enjoy the diversity of co-workers, all good, interesting people. Discount is appreciated.

Cons

Micromanagement has unrealistic expectations on how long some tasks take to complete, and they DO allot a certain amount of time for everything. The crew is informed via speaker system that we have X amount of time to complete stocking so 'hurry up'.

I wouldn't want to be you. Training is on the fly, fortunately you employ good crew members who are willing to help new employees assimilate into the culture because the store manager sure didn't. I had to pry basic payroll info from the store management, still after 6 weeks I have no ID badge or time card with my name on it.

amazing company

Pros

schedule, salary, leadership, growth opportunities, career development

Cons

I like everything about Michaels

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!