Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally(in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season(in 63 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to(in 63 reviews)

Have work ethic and ambition? You have a career.

Replenishment Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPromotes from within. If you come in and decide you want a career, you will have one. You won't always be equipped with the training most people demand they need, but if you're a go-getter... this company is the place for you.

ConsHigh workload. They expect a lot from their associates for the compensation provided. Great opportunities for advancement, but you have to fight through the trenches to get to that point.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery person thats been around from sales to cashiering to management knows that the replenishment crew are the heart and soul of the store's workforce. Compensate them. Stop jerking them around. We lose great employees and potential assets because we pay the employees we demand the most from the same wage as sales associates and cashiers...and then give them less hours than the aforementioned. They can't survive on minimum wage (or close to it) and 5.5-11 hours a week. And we can't thrive with complete turnover every 3-4 months.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oswego, IL (US)

ProsFlexible environment, new products always arriving, knowledgeable staff. Lots of community opportunities through teaching classes and fun birthday parties for kids

ConsUpper mgmt not actually working in a store, sometimes unrealistic with expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult store level staff more for hands-on ideas to improve day to day operations

Easy work place.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsThe work is easy, the people are friendly, and this is a job you can do in your sleep.

ConsCannot get over 12 hours, and the pay is minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many new people and give hours to the people working there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD (US)

ProsGreat experience for a youngster looking for a first job opportunity.

Learn to work on a team

Save money to go to school

Excellent employee discount

ConsIntricate craft pieces that are fragile- must handle items with extreme care

Customers do not like being asked for their zip code and take out frustrations on to the staff members

Revolving door- many people come and go

No real room for advancement- only a temp job for a high school or college student

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for several months as a Sales Associate and was promoted twice

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

ProsWorking with the people was definitely a fun experience, and would do it again soon. However, working with the customers that came into the store were a different story.

ConsThe hours were unreasonable. Working nine hours a day with no break was definitely hard, and I don't know if I would work for this company again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep better tabs on the employees in the store, training needs to be improved drastically.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome people and customer service

ConsHard with hours sometimes need to switch

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being nice

Replenishment

Part Time Replenishment Associate (Current Employee)

Prosearly in the morning. 6 hours of work done by noon, leaves a lot of the day open for anything.

Consshort hours, even for part-time. constantly working 8-11 hours a week.

They are ok

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsIt was easy to get hired, and the job isn't that hard. Some of the managers were excellent and the staff has a lot of fun together.

ConsLow pay, annoying customers, working nights and every single weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you would want to be treated. We are the ones that come face to face with your customers - you want to keep us happy.

I grew quickly with this company!

Store (Former Employee)

ProsI learned very fast what was important to stay on top of. Building a strong team in your store was the only way to be successful and happy. I did not want to move into District management with Michaels. The bonus system for store managers was not very good, considering what their annual salaries were.

ConsWe put a lot of hours into training good people but couldn't keep them because we never had enough hours to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam building with area store managers, it's not all about competition. Better planning handed down in a timely manner to the store level. (!!!!)

awesome

Cashier (Current Employee) Great Falls, MT (US)

ProsThe people who come into the store.

ConsKeeping up with the changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the good work.

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!