Michaels Stores

www.michaels.com

Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • The employee discount is good, especially the associate appreciation discounts offered seasonally (in 58 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Even for full-time associates, don't expect 40 hours a week unless it's peak season (in 64 reviews)

• Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Great store

Cashier (Current Employee) Moorestown, NJ (US)

ProsGreat managers, all of them. The team members are all pleasant to work with, always ready to help and answer questions. I am very grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of people. The manager works with you as far as needing time off and is very fair and understanding. I love going to work!

ConsSome of the customers have attitudes that have to be dealt with. Otherwise, I have no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing their best and I say keep it up!

Great place to work. Friendly associates, great creative customers.

Sales (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA (US)

ProsFun, creative, fast paced, learn something new everyday.

ConsThere is very little monetary raises.

The job was mostly rewarding.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Spartanburg, SC (US)

ProsGreat customer interaction, knowledgeable associates, very hands on without the need to be an expert in anything. Rewarding to get a project just right for a customer.

ConsThere is a disconnect between field management and store management. The expectations changed without any real idea of what it took at the store level to complete your project or goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the stores to be an asset to managers and not just to point out failures.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short experience due to employment elsewhere, but great

Cashier (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsFriendly managers, working with materials related to my interests.

ConsI would have liked to have been immediately trained to be in framing (what they said they'd like me doing, since I had experience with matting artwork etc).

It could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's good for a first job

ConsIt's a nightmare if you don't like tiny trinkets and stuff...

Have work ethic and ambition? You have a career.

Replenishment Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPromotes from within. If you come in and decide you want a career, you will have one. You won't always be equipped with the training most people demand they need, but if you're a go-getter... this company is the place for you.

ConsHigh workload. They expect a lot from their associates for the compensation provided. Great opportunities for advancement, but you have to fight through the trenches to get to that point.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery person thats been around from sales to cashiering to management knows that the replenishment crew are the heart and soul of the store's workforce. Compensate them. Stop jerking them around. We lose great employees and potential assets because we pay the employees we demand the most from the same wage as sales associates and cashiers...and then give them less hours than the aforementioned. They can't survive on minimum wage (or close to it) and 5.5-11 hours a week. And we can't thrive with complete turnover every 3-4 months.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oswego, IL (US)

ProsFlexible environment, new products always arriving, knowledgeable staff. Lots of community opportunities through teaching classes and fun birthday parties for kids

ConsUpper mgmt not actually working in a store, sometimes unrealistic with expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult store level staff more for hands-on ideas to improve day to day operations

Easy work place.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsThe work is easy, the people are friendly, and this is a job you can do in your sleep.

ConsCannot get over 12 hours, and the pay is minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many new people and give hours to the people working there.

I learned the value of team work.

Cashier (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA (US)

ProsThe coworkers, the atmosphere of creating, and the attitudes of the people.

ConsManagement was laid back on most days.

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD (US)

ProsGreat experience for a youngster looking for a first job opportunity.

Learn to work on a team

Save money to go to school

Excellent employee discount

ConsIntricate craft pieces that are fragile- must handle items with extreme care

Customers do not like being asked for their zip code and take out frustrations on to the staff members

Revolving door- many people come and go

No real room for advancement- only a temp job for a high school or college student

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!