Microsoft

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.6 7,586 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 369 reviews)

7,586 Employee Reviews

Crap pay, great fun, learnt a bit

Solution Sales Professional (Former Employee) London, England

ProsFun, cutting edge of technology (although not often marketshare), inspiring, work life balance - never had it better. I always felt excited to get to work on Monday morning.

ConsToo many Microsofties think they or Microsoft are the greatest. No humility with partners or customers. Act like a birth right to success, risk of being obsolesce. Loathed meetings upon meetings. So many emails you create auto-trash rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a CEO that's mad and stop working to Redmond metrics and scorecards

Senior Software Developer

ProsWorking in world's leading software and services company. That alone provides a great deal of satisfaction. Microsoft is headed in the right direction with the CEO change

ConsBecause of the size of the company, some processes are tedious and seem a little bit unnecessary.

Great company but a fading star

Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBeing Microsoft. A tremendous legacy from being the biggest software company in the world and, at times, innovating with life changing products. It remains a great place to work as is born out by workplace surveys year after year. You are surrounded by smart people in a respectful culture and generally strong leaders.

ConsProcess, process, process. Also, over time, people become good a internal promotion and being good Microsoft citizens; unfortunately, the company seems to reward this. People who do a good job and stay loyal are overlooked by people who backscratch and job swap frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company stick launch dates in the calendar and keeps to them come what may, even if they ship a under baked or incomplete product. You then alienate people who commit to the first version in the knowledge that the product probably won't be decent until version 3 - please stop this!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Program Manager

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe culture enables you to make decisions quickly and the management will encourage the professional development and growth.

ConsOnly one thing is constant and it is Change.

Big co lots of sideways movement

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBig co lots of of orgs

ConsLow per meaning head count

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain real talent

Can be a slow moving company with emphasis on building your individual brand internally, so need to network.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsSome great work being done on Enterprise social, really fast moving area to work in with some solid thought leadership.

ConsPromotions are hard to get, easier to move up the org is you leave and come back at a higher level.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to move into 21st century and look after your people as opposed to making people redundant year after year.

Life at Microsoft is what you make it - Mine was great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHuge amount of resources, good people, and great benefits.

ConsPoor management, too corporate, and cost-cutting have killed the good old Microsoft of legend.

Great place for research

Research Intern (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England

ProsThe company culture was fun, coffee was great and you could talk and collaborate with numerous world-class researchers in machine learning, algorithms, networks, and so on. My boss was extremely knowledgeable and always open to new ideas. The pay was more than enough for me.

ConsCambridge is a rather small city and housing is expensive. Also, the jobs in research can potentially have less security as they are the first ones to go if the company is in trouble.

Smart People, Great Vision, but poor execution

Program Manager II (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsGreat benefits, lots of products, locations and teams to choose from, great culture and good work-life balance

ConsBad execution of products, thinking out-of the box, ability to adapt to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a chance to people who want to make a change. Driving strategy from top down doesn't provide great results always.

Great to work for

Windows Ambassador (Former Employee) London, England

ProsConstantly help each other out

ConsNot huge scope to get further in company

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on the work you're doing!

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!