Microsoft

3.6 7,032 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,032 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company but can't help making things hard for itself.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Overall package is very good - salary, bonuses and benefits.
- Good work/life balance, if you are in the right division or have the right manager.
- Has the potential to do great things and still has some amazing products.

Cons- Microsoft has to burn itself. Even when the correct decision is obvious to all staff, senior management seem to get it wrong before backtracking to get it right.
- The business is set up for its employees to fail. Even if a team exceeds all goals, stack ranking means 20%+ have to fail. It's incredibly damaging for a company to ensure failure at all costs.
- Many tiers of middle management that add very little and drive against change for self preservation.
- To be successful you need to spend 70% of your time managing your internal brand and 30% of your time doing your job and driving success for the business.
- Over the recent years, more smart people have left than have joined.
- Culturally, the business has a rotten core that is going to take years to cleanse.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current review structure simply means the ineffective middle management protect themselves and dump on one of their team - give everyone a voice for a chance to highlight their value and you'll see where the real productivity comes from.

Excellent opportunity strong brand recognition. Disjointed sub based management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBrand market share innovation drive for new markets

ConsPolitics in management a minefield of whos in whos out driven by senior management watch your hack culture

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen honest with real integrity would be a start. Set fair goals and stick to them

A great chance to work with smart people, doing great things...

Supportability Program Manager (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood Salary, Comfortable Working Environment, Freedom to be successful, good benefits, good projects to be involved with and change the world. Interesting network of colleagues.

ConsTough to achieve a perfect work life balance,massive organisation so often difficult to navigate the organisation - still some siloed working which holds some of the major projects back.

A roller coaster ride! Thus far!

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefit package, good work/home life balance, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, dumped the dreaded ranking system, changing culture, challenging work, and an exciting future for the company.

During the "One Microsoft" re-org I've been lucky enough to have three new, awesome engineering managers to interact with. They are some of the best managers I have ever had in my entire career.

ConsAs a software engineer, if report to, or interact with, a terrible, non-caring, numbers only manager you, and your team, suffer the most. Microsoft seems full of these types of managers. It is best to change teams if you realize you have a terrible manager as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the management structure as much as possible. Become more design driven so we can move out of the past into the new Microsoft!

Great employer with lots of opportunities

Execution Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Proslots of opportunities across a wide variety of businesses

Consvery competitive environment limiting career progression opportunities

Great Company with the normal challenges of a large market dominating organisation

Business Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great company that mostly cares about their people and frankly somewhere you know you will never be embarrassed to have worked. Microsoft cares for the people on the planet, just look at all the philanthropy the company engages in. I am proud to work at Microsoft and can put up with the occasional corporate silliness.

ConsMicrosoft's various brushes with regulators has condition behaviour so much that it is often hard to get people to make sensible compete decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new direction the company is moving in will require it to take some strong position with competition, do not be afraid of p'ing off the regulators and have a real go at it!

A nice place to work

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsBig company, lots of opportunities

ConsCompany can change directions too quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams

Premier Field Engineer

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsLatest technology, Excellent training, Good benefits

ConsWork on my own most of the time.

Up and down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

ProsGreat learning of how a corporate really works

ConsEnding up just a number

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around you for talent.

Great place to work

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery strong people and fantastic range of products and passion for them

ConsSUch a big organization it's hard to get your head around it all

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,032 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.