Microsoft

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.6 7,586 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 369 reviews)

7,586 Employee Reviews

Great place to work.

General Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsInnovation, Truly Global scope and full of opportunities.

ConsToo many processes and lack of decision making.

Dynamic environment, a lot of career opportunities

Partner Sales Executive (Former Employee)

ProsDynamic environment, a lot of talented professionals to work with, diversified product/ solution offerings

ConsSome management team members are very tranditional, may result in stagnant status of creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open-minded, be more considerate, employee is the asset of the company

Good place to learn and sharpen skills in a fast paced environment.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat learning place and open environment

ConsPace of changes can derail the career growth unless one is very careful

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A roller coaster ride! Thus far!

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefit package, good work/home life balance, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, dumped the dreaded ranking system, changing culture, challenging work, and an exciting future for the company.

During the "One Microsoft" re-org I've been lucky enough to have three new, awesome engineering managers to interact with. They are some of the best managers I have ever had in my entire career.

ConsAs a software engineer, if report to, or interact with, a terrible, non-caring, numbers only manager you, and your team, suffer the most. Microsoft seems full of these types of managers. It is best to change teams if you realize you have a terrible manager as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the management structure as much as possible. Become more design driven so we can move out of the past into the new Microsoft!

A great chance to work with smart people, doing great things...

Supportability Program Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsGood Salary, Comfortable Working Environment, Freedom to be successful, good benefits, good projects to be involved with and change the world. Interesting network of colleagues.

ConsTough to achieve a perfect work life balance,massive organisation so often difficult to navigate the organisation - still some siloed working which holds some of the major projects back.

Great employer with lots of opportunities

Execution Manager (Current Employee) London, England

Proslots of opportunities across a wide variety of businesses

Consvery competitive environment limiting career progression opportunities

Great Company with the normal challenges of a large market dominating organisation

Business Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsA great company that mostly cares about their people and frankly somewhere you know you will never be embarrassed to have worked. Microsoft cares for the people on the planet, just look at all the philanthropy the company engages in. I am proud to work at Microsoft and can put up with the occasional corporate silliness.

ConsMicrosoft's various brushes with regulators has condition behaviour so much that it is often hard to get people to make sensible compete decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new direction the company is moving in will require it to take some strong position with competition, do not be afraid of p'ing off the regulators and have a real go at it!

A nice place to work

ProsBig company, lots of opportunities

ConsCompany can change directions too quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams

Premier Field Engineer

ProsLatest technology, Excellent training, Good benefits

ConsWork on my own most of the time.

Excellent opportunity strong brand recognition. Disjointed sub based management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrand market share innovation drive for new markets

ConsPolitics in management a minefield of whos in whos out driven by senior management watch your hack culture

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen honest with real integrity would be a start. Set fair goals and stick to them

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!