Microsoft

3.6 7,028 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,028 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Post Bill

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture and people with competitive benefits

ConsNoisy working environment at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSqueeze out the politics

Smart people, having fun with cool technology

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSupporting colleagues and managers
Smart people
Reward for impact
Huge technology assets

ConsUS-centric product development
Excessive bias towards re-inventing the wheel
Design not given voice it requires

Advice to Senior ManagementMore needs to be done to get teams working towards the same goals
Product management needs to be done more thoroughly
Product should be designed with believe most customers are not like MS employees

Overall a great, if exhausting place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people
Lots of career possibilities
Fantastic technology

ConsVery political
US - centric
Insulated from the customer
Heavy HR overhead

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy and be relentless!

Fun place to work; takes good care of its engineers.

Researcher (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsYou're taken care of. Good technology to work with. Smart people to work with.

ConsBetween divisions it can be a struggle to get things done. Researchers look down on engineers rather than work with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementResearchers need to understand engineering is not "easier" or so. Leadership should build a research org next to (not on top of) the engineering groups.

Good

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsIt is a good for to work for.

ConsNothing about MSFT is particularly bad

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Good experience

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Prosbig, famous, technlogy titan, talented community

Conslow salary, ft& contingent staff difference

Good for learning and Smart people

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to learn and improve, good smart technical people, good culture and flexible working.

ConsNo career opportunities outside of US (Seattle), can be very political and networking really helps progression. Tough review system and have to always be improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange review system and increase colloaration

Past its prime and protecting the past

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInitially MSFT was a great place to work. Its sheer size and scale meant there were numerous interesting work challenges, a clear career path, international work opportunities and smart people to work with.The benefits were good and the pay fair.

ConsMicrosoft's glory days are well behind it. The company has spent the last decade trying to protect the Windows franchise instead of embracing the true potential of the web and innovating for the future. The culture and working environment became quite toxic (although there are some good people there too) with colleagues competing against each other each review cycle. The mid level and senior management I worked with were completely focused on themselves and working the Microsoft system to their advantage rather than looking outward and taking care of their customers.

Advice to Senior Management- Bring on a new CEO from outside who is empowered to really re-set Microsoft's culture and embrace a new decade of innovation.
- Adopt a genuine customer first approach
- Innovate - don't just copy other companies and try and do what they do better.
- Do less - you are too thinly spread - focus on doing fewer things well
- Give up on Bing

Great people; poor management; appalling review process

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Reading, England

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is a tremendous buzz at Microsoft; all of the people are smart and driven to succeed. If Microsoft aren't first in pretty much anything the question is always "what do we need to do to be number 1?".

This behaviour is endemic and really underpins the culture of the entire organisation.

I worked in the consulting organisation (MCS) and experienced a real variety of projects across a number of customer organisations. Delivering projects when you knew that your team were real experts and that they had the backup of the product development team was incredibly reassuring and this allowed MCS to bid for projects that other technology delivery organisations would shy away from.

Getting in to MCS is not easy; the bar is very high and the interview process lengthy. Expect a telephone interview which, if successful, would be followed by an all day interview which would consist of 3 interviews (peer/competency, hiring manager and HR) plus a role play/programming exercise.

Microsoft has a great benefits package including free broadband and mobile 'phone. One the things that I particularly liked was the free bowl of fruit in the kitchen every day.

ConsThe challenge with working at Microsoft is the challenge with being visible ALL OF THE TIME. Unless your manager and their immediate peers are intimately aware of your achievements then you will be punished during the review process. The drawbacks of this process are well documented within glassdoor but any system that holds the employee review meeting AFTER the grade has been decided is, in my view, seriously flawed.

If you are unlucky enough to be on a long-term project that can seriously impact you; and if that project is on customer site then you can really be in trouble. Also, if you are not valued by your manager then you can get you in trouble as well!!!!

There is also a blame culture emerging in MCS which, if isn't eradicated, will make it not a nice place to work.

With regard to salary, MCS is OK; you don't work there for the money; you work there to get an exposure to the culture and the experience. Microsoft make it very easy for you to work from anywhere at any time and there is a growing expectation that that is exactly what you do. Some managers send email out of hours and then complain when you haven't responded in what they consider a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the review system such that it is based on what the staff deliver and not on management's perception of what they have done.

Microsoft

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCulture and Values, Great Technology

ConsSalary and Compensations, Work Life Balance

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,028 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.