Microsoft

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.5 3,110 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 675 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 886 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 474 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 367 reviews)

3,110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsUnder CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
    Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

ConsI don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

Great learning and personal growth

Principal Enterprise Strategist (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

Proslove of technology
    wide career options

Constoo large and now a bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior Managementfire 50% of middle management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging work, work/life balance achievable depending on your team and function

Legal Support (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsOpportunity to exand you knowledge and skills. Great amenities like free soda, transportation assistance, including private Connector busline. Flexible work schedule. Technology to support mobility (i.e., conference calls, work from home, business travel, etc.) Autonomy. Great people and lots of diversity.

ConsSilos within work groups. Average pay. Politics and no transparancy in reviews. Some areas are not amenable to upward mobility. The company is so big that it has lost its agility to respond quickly to the changing technology landscape.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparancy in review process. Truly LISTEN to employee feedback! Get a great marketing team!!

Good company, treats employees well, tough turnaround situation

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, excellent pay and benefits, smart people, it is best to work in a core business (Azure, Office, Windows)

ConsFrustrating politics and indecisive management can make things rough. Lots of work left to do to change the engineering culture to modern standards, but I think Satya is up to the challenge.

Great place to start

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsLots of smart people, lots of work to go around.

ConsBig, so your results may vary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

Fantastic company to work for

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGreat people, culture, work life balance.

ConsBureaucracy and slow decision making can be very limiting to forward progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont be afraid to take big chances!

A great way to grow your career

Varied (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsIncredibly diverse roles available all the time

ConsVery "big-company" and bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe curve is ridiculous

My first employer after university, it was a great experience

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II (Former Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsFrequent promotions, many smart people to learn from, very good salary and bonus, 401k etc, opportunities to change role, huge library and learning opportunities, opportunity to do something great with huge impact, great for CV, had insurance with 100% cover, 0 deductible

ConsSome managers were not open minded and did not understand the technologies they were trying to develop tools for. Lots of time wasted in meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you want to build tools for some community, you must have try to understand that community, not expect the community to adjust to your tools.

A good place to get a balance of interesting problems, steady profit, and job security.

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsGuaranteed salary and benefits for at least a decade, many different products to leverage/use. Very flexible work hours and culture.

ConsEnterprise products are slow moving, no chance for big rearchitecture/innovation work.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!