Microsoft

3.6 7,028 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,028 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Crap pay, great fun, learnt a bit

Solution Sales Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun, cutting edge of technology (although not often marketshare), inspiring, work life balance - never had it better. I always felt excited to get to work on Monday morning.

ConsToo many Microsofties think they or Microsoft are the greatest. No humility with partners or customers. Act like a birth right to success, risk of being obsolesce. Loathed meetings upon meetings. So many emails you create auto-trash rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a CEO that's mad and stop working to Redmond metrics and scorecards

Senior Software Developer

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsWorking in world's leading software and services company. That alone provides a great deal of satisfaction. Microsoft is headed in the right direction with the CEO change

ConsBecause of the size of the company, some processes are tedious and seem a little bit unnecessary.

Great company but a fading star

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeing Microsoft. A tremendous legacy from being the biggest software company in the world and, at times, innovating with life changing products. It remains a great place to work as is born out by workplace surveys year after year. You are surrounded by smart people in a respectful culture and generally strong leaders.

ConsProcess, process, process. Also, over time, people become good a internal promotion and being good Microsoft citizens; unfortunately, the company seems to reward this. People who do a good job and stay loyal are overlooked by people who backscratch and job swap frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company stick launch dates in the calendar and keeps to them come what may, even if they ship a under baked or incomplete product. You then alienate people who commit to the first version in the knowledge that the product probably won't be decent until version 3 - please stop this!

Program Manager

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe culture enables you to make decisions quickly and the management will encourage the professional development and growth.

ConsOnly one thing is constant and it is Change.

Life at Microsoft is what you make it - Mine was great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHuge amount of resources, good people, and great benefits.

ConsPoor management, too corporate, and cost-cutting have killed the good old Microsoft of legend.

Great place for research

Research Intern (Former Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company culture was fun, coffee was great and you could talk and collaborate with numerous world-class researchers in machine learning, algorithms, networks, and so on. My boss was extremely knowledgeable and always open to new ideas. The pay was more than enough for me.

ConsCambridge is a rather small city and housing is expensive. Also, the jobs in research can potentially have less security as they are the first ones to go if the company is in trouble.

Smart People, Great Vision, but poor execution

Program Manager II (Current Employee)
Reading, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, lots of products, locations and teams to choose from, great culture and good work-life balance

ConsBad execution of products, thinking out-of the box, ability to adapt to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a chance to people who want to make a change. Driving strategy from top down doesn't provide great results always.

Great to work for

Windows Ambassador (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Microsoft part-time for more than a year

ProsConstantly help each other out

ConsNot huge scope to get further in company

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on the work you're doing!

friendly, professional atmosphere

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Proscolleagues are always at hand to help, flexible hours, employees are treated well

Consworkload is often very high, managers sometimes do not delegate accordingly

GOOD

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsA really nice company to work for, lovely office building. Great staff and bosses. Benefits were really good and, at the end of the year, there was always chance for a bonus.

ConsThe work was very hard and a lot of the time I got the feeling that I was not getting paid enough for the amount of work I had to do and the effort I put in.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,028 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.