Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged

Trying to modernize, but stil "old school"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in London, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are above the average;
    Flexibility to work from home and flexible times;
    Lots of smart people and experiences to learn from;
    Lots of divisions and opportunities to work in different projects.

Cons

Still "rock-star" culture, where vocal / connected people take clear advantage (sometimes over the work of more skilled but less loud colleagues). Little team collaboration;
    Still "bubble" culture: whatever exists or you have done outside MS doesn't mean anything;
    "Old thinking" in most senior/leads, with practices and methods that have been scrapped more than a decade ago (e.g. waterfall, lots of planning and documentation);
    Too many managers, many outdated (above), others totally clueless about the skills for their work (e.g. test leads that don't know unit tests and CI).
    Little autonomy for individual contributors (every single technical decision must go through managers)

Satya seems to have a clue and move the company towards the right direction. Scrapping the stack-ranking was also positive, however there is still a lot of "old culture" built over the years. Reduce the bureaucracy, get rid of the countless middle managers that hinder the renovation of the company, and empower the employees so they can use their expertise together with modern methods and tools in software development.

very generious

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MSFT salaries are generous but not I found it hard to progress because of their calibration system. I have heard that it's changed

Cons

It's v difficult to get promotions, salary increases, you coudl work for years and get 1% annual rise despite meeting all and exceeding some expectations.

Depends which team/org u work in....

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Working from Home Policy, opportunities, access to everything MS (software), benefits (though they trimmed them down)

Cons

Politics, favouritism, bad managers, lack of integrity and values, the review curve... yes they changed their review system.. but the curve is still there...

Disorganised

Former Employee - Software Developer in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Brighton, England

I worked at Microsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, free atmosphere with free teas

Cons

Total lack of organisational skills

No longer applicable

Great place to work as a human being but not if your interested in commission.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Reading, England

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great company, great products, great customers who want to hear what Microsoft has to say, great strategy with O365 & Azure, great working environment and good people so if you want a job you can enjoy and don't care about commission then Microsoft is an outstanding company.

Cons

First thing to know is that I've never worked so hard or been so busy as in Microsoft as there are so few people so be prepared to work evenings and weekends. If you work in sales and want to earn commission Microsoft isn't the place to be, targets are based on renewing Enterprise Agreements which dwarf's new business sold so if a customer doesn't renew your year is over, if you do any new business it's a tiny percentage of your achievement compared to a renewal so you carry massive risk with very little ability to achieve or over achieve. An example would be that since I've joined 4 years ago I believe 90% of product rep's have left and around 50% of account managers all due to not being able to earn commission.

Not sure what to say bar someone needs to recognise new business in a different way to renewals as unless Microsoft sellers get paid for selling net new all they will ever do is focus on renewals which is OK but won't deliver the company growth for the future.

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

you can focus on your work without distractions

Cons

very corporate, very geeky culture

Fantastic research environment

Former Intern - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people at Microsoft Research are fantastic, world-class researchers. My experience in the Cambridge research lab completely changed my graduate studies. I learned about a new field. I learned how to do engineering for that field. I made what I hope are lifelong friendships and collaborations. It was truly a fantastic experience.

Cons

The intern seating is ridiculously lacking. I cannot believe there are not more intern desks. Interns should be seated near peers who are working on similar problems and should be seated near their mentors.

Keep the research pure. Microsoft is one of the only companies remaining that is still invested in pure science that does not have to be applied to a product immediately. Don't let this die.

Good experience

Current Contractor - Senior Systems Engineer in London, England
    Current Contractor - Senior Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Salary and work life balance

Cons

Pressure, salary, flat work structure

Could do better

Microsoft Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Stable Environment
    learn a lot
    Customer exposure

Cons

Strict Organization with strict policy when it comes to Tenders

Be Flexible

Flexible working

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great work / life balance
    office is a good location but not particularly near customers
    culture is friendly and on the whole open

Cons

great benefits selection. probably one of the best in the industry. However i think the great work life balance and benefits selection can sometimes mask very slow career progression opportunities

doing a good job overall.