Microsoft

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 7,647 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights
7,647 Employee Reviews

Good if you're after secure employment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, secure employment. Okay salary.

ConsBureaucracy, conservatism, and scorecard system.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnleash and encourage Satya to change the company from the ground up.

friendly, professional atmosphere

Software Developer (Current Employee)

Proscolleagues are always at hand to help, flexible hours, employees are treated well

Consworkload is often very high, managers sometimes do not delegate accordingly

GOOD

ProsA really nice company to work for, lovely office building. Great staff and bosses. Benefits were really good and, at the end of the year, there was always chance for a bonus.

ConsThe work was very hard and a lot of the time I got the feeling that I was not getting paid enough for the amount of work I had to do and the effort I put in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very positive

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Former Employee) London, England

ProsReally good environment geared towards productivity.
    Very good perks - free drinks, often free food.
    Able to come into work when you want and leave when you want based on getting your work done.
    Very good chillout area - xbox, foosball table, beanbags etc.
    Very nice people, didn't find office politics to exist.

ConsDidn't find a London weighting to salary which I thought should exist compared to other UK Microsoft offices and their living costs.

Great company, but plenty of structural issues to be addressed.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsPlenty of very talented people, who are mostly friendly. Great benefits and opportunity for career advancement. Some exciting products and opportunity to move to other areas in the business and other countries. Applying to jobs internally guarantees you an interview!

ConsPromotions can be very political. Some internal systems are bureaucratic and slow you down. Upper management tends to show poor leadership, and senior GMs can be very aggressive. Software development methodology is stuck in the past, but changing slowly, and varies between business areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more face time with employees and more hands on with products. Interfacing with the business via reports and data dashboards is insufficient.

Rich sales experience

Solution Sales (Former Employee) London, England

ProsVery smart people, action oriented and really dedicated to the company success.
    Lots of ressources available to achieve the job.
    Easy access to top decision makers in the accounts.

ConsNo possibilities left to think out of the box.
    Very process oriented, and "good Execution" is the over valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company. Lack of guts to change the business model and adapt to today's market.

Contractor point of view

Operations Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAs a contractor you have the same job description as a full time employee and you are expected to work on equal footing. You have advancement opportunities as well as training.

ConsYou don,t get any of the health or vision benefits nor do you get a pension. Your contract is reviewed once a year and you are lucky if they do It on time and the pay scale is below market. It is a very structured corporate environment that can be stifling as suffocating for those free spirits among you.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to creating more head count so the 40% of total employees that are contract feel you are truly investing in them as they are in you.

Great place to work.

General Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsInnovation, Truly Global scope and full of opportunities.

ConsToo many processes and lack of decision making.

Very nice experience so far

ProsVery rewarding experiences, a lot of challenges that make you improve your skills

Consno cons, the everything is excellent

Very pleasant

ProsVery friendly environment. Very modern offices and facilities

ConsInternship scheme availability is highly limited

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!