Modern Woodmen

3.6

W. Kenny Massey

Good Experience

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

I increased my communication skill.

Cons

It was hard for me to find a client

Lack of Training/Management/Supervision

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the best benefits in the industry when it comes to 401k, pension plan, health, dental, vision insurance
    Fraternal system can lead your way into sales with daycares and schools.

Cons

After you are hired it is all about the next hire for your Region. Management is trying to get the new agents up and running so existing agents are literally on their own after a month or two. Compensation is 100% commission so with a small company that isn't well known it is very challenging to get in the door. No leads or "book of business" are handed to new agents so you are starting from the ground up from your contract date. Turnover is extremely high due to new agents not being able to make it financially within the first 3-6 months.

Possibly reform the compensation package to attract new agents like signing bonus, salary, etc.

Good Career Opportunity, Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Control your own schedule, health insurance and pension plan provided, 401-k available with match, Fraternal Business Model allows you to give to the community, work with people of great integrity.

Cons

Home office employees lack understanding of what field force challenges are, Management favoritism/legacy building is rampant, Focus is on increasing # of managers rather than supporting existing reps and current managers, Product offering is limited.

Listen to recordings of agents calling the home office...you might be shocked how disrespectful some HO staff is and the inaccurate information given. Cut the number of Regional Directors in half, half of them aren't producing anyway, use the savings to increase agent and managing partner compensation/support. Managing Partners are the ones who recruit new reps, make that a more attractive position and provide more support to them.

Sales with little training

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and potential for great income if you get properly trained on products.

Cons

Lack of training on products and services. Must train yourself with little help from management.

Working for Modern Woodmen of America has been better than all the other insurance companies I have worked with.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Besides having great products to offer my clients, Modern Woodmen is a fraternal company which provides $30 million every year for us to use in our communities. This is great fir the communities, our members, and has the effect of great marketing for us.

Cons

There are some additional products I wish we had to sell.

Listen to the field reps for new products to meet market demands.

Great Company...Client Focused. Good career opportunity especially if you plan to work in the middle America market.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternal Company, Good Training for New Representatives, Very Good Corporate Citizen, Supports Representatives Giving Back to Community, Defined Benefit Plan Funded by Company, Excellent Medical & Dental Plans, 401K

Cons

Not as much support for seasoned representatives...more focused on newer reps, Relatively low commission rates compared to industry however benefits are good, Annual "Incentive" trip is basically a glorified sales meeting usually in a great location but the time is filled with meetings.

Recognize that established reps need support too, Reduce amount of time spent in meetings at annual conference or stop making reps qualify, Promoting as many Regional Directors as possible doesn't make sense...they aren't the ones producing. Reduce the number of management in the field and increase agent compensation/bonus.

Great Place To Work!

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great pay and training! Managing Partners are terrific at what they do, and are always willing to help. It feels like a mom and pop shop.

Cons

All commission from the beginning. Maybe have a base plus commission for the first year. If you don't have a market, you won't succeed.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Sales

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Amarillo, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of independence and ability to set your own hours. Hardwork pays off sometimes but not always. You must be willing to harass a lot of people before you get a small sale.

Cons

Lack of quality training, must learn on the job. To be successful you must work long hours everyday and invest a lot of your own money into gas, client lunches, and advertising.

Invest more time with your field representatives than simple class room lecture and a couple of sales calls.

Good company to work for, hard business to succeed in.

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quality values, they want you to succeed, and their fraternal benefits are a great selling point.

Cons

Their name recognition is substantially less than Edward Jones or any of the other big guys. There was very little training in the first three months.

Establish a training program within a month of hiring a new Financial Representative.

Modern Woodmen is a solid employer with good benefits and a strong training program

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the highest ratings for a financial services company.

Cons

Old workforce drives up the cost of health benefits.