Modern Woodmen

Updated 15 November 2014
3.6

W. Kenny Massey

Run fast!!!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process was great! They made it seem like it the best place to work for.

Cons

Getting your own leads. No training from management. When you bring in a policy watch out, the managers will try to rob you!!!

Don't hire shady managers & if you advertise to do something, do it. Don't waste anyone's time, it makes you look weak!

Have acheived many goals while at this company.

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternalism, financially strong company, agents are active members of local communities, opportunity to make a real difference in people's lives with the financial products and advice we provide, ability to control scheduling and maintain work life balance, Good benefits... includes medical, rx, disability & dental insurance and retirement.

Cons

Home office focuses on Management, especially at Regional level instead of sales reps, limited access to underwriters, no vision plan offered, low commissions, limited ongoing training for seasoned reps, limited advancement opportunities.

Have fewer regions and invest the money saved into sales force and managing partners who work recruit, train, and work with reps...examples: Fund admin positions in larger district offices to provide agent support, many of these are producing more than a lot of regions and increase agent commissions.

Intern

I worked at Modern Woodmen as an intern

Pros

The Managers are very nice.

Cons

Strictly commission-based.
    Have to rely on family and cold-calls to get started.

Be willing to give some of your Reps a few of your clientele to get them started.

Endless opportunities but make no money

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Long history...fraternal benefits...cares about the elderly

Cons

Straight commission, never any fresh leads, cold calling, lack of leadership from managing partner and regional director. Upper management uses and abuses "young" talent.

Update the company structure and get some marketing. No one knows who Modern Woodmen is.

After one year with Modern Woodmen, I find it an outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Pittsburg, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The focus of Modern Woodmen is to help its members. Other financial firms are many times only concerned with selling. The clear message in everything about Modern Woodmen from the top down is this. The more you help people (by working hard, being honest and treating everyone with dignity and respect) the more you will get in return. The fraternal side of MWA is a huge asset to both it's sales force and it's customers. If you're not familiar with the "fraternal" aspect of Modern Woodmen, do some research. I've found the right place to work.

Cons

As is the job of selling financial intangibles, you have to work hard and put in the hours. There is a lot to learn and you must do it on the run. As for cons, relative to any other financial service job or company, none come to mind.

Management is open to conversation and quick and willing to give help and advice. My only comment would be to keep it up. Their dedication to keeping MWA members (and me) happy is a wonderful thing.

Financial representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Carmel, IN (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid based on how hard you work. Benefits are out of this World. I have a pension and they pay for all of my health insurance. I get to give the companies money to the communty as a way to advertise myself. Unbeatable products.

Cons

You get paid for how hard you work. nowhere to hide. takes someone who really wants to be successful, not just do “ok”

Good company

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and decent bonuses and incentives to sale

Cons

Straight commission sales could use more products

N/A.....pretty good people and managers overall

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid conservative well funnded company

Cons

Half the normal commissions with very poor lead assistance.

Unless you supply good very fresh leads, you should pay higher commissions or at least a base salary.

Fraternal Benefits for members outstanding

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great support form everyone, the support we receive to give back to communities is awesome. Technology is up and coming, lap top with everything needed.....so much more

Cons

No financial support until you receive your license and become an active agent. Need several successful appointments to qualify for Financial support every month.

Once agent passes exam and finger printing Modern Woodmen should really give at least a couple grand to agents to help for at least first 6 months, and training should be done at home office as soon as we are licensed not months later. It would really make a huge difference.

Good job to learn the business but hard

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training and support. The office where I was at has nothing to do with how the company as a whole is ran. I actually went to home office had a personal lunch with Kenny Massey, and he and the other home office staff were all great people.

Cons

You need to have a lot of money to back you, so when you have to spend it on advertising and tons of other expenses. Although I was a top producing Agent and in our monthly magazine, it was still a hard financial burden topped with a lie of family life balance.

Learn to help your new agents more, stop worrying about the people who kiss your ass to get on you good side, as they talk down about producing agents and try to back-stab them. I left due to this, and I busted my ass putting my family on the side and worked 80hr weeks and worked Saturday and Sunday. All the time. Good place to gain, but not to thrive from.