Moderna Therapeutics

Add Photos

Stéphane Bancel

Worst work experience

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

ProsI don't have any pros, maybe free lunch

ConsBad science, poorly developed methods, blaming technicians for bad results, performance evaluations are laughable. Overall bad environment to work in

Be prepared to be exploited, abused, and ultimately amused.

Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful coworkers- unfortunately we did not get much time to forge relationships. Excellent benefits.

ConsWhere to begin? Overtly hostile upper management, exploitative labor practices, inane personality conflicts obliterating professionalism, absurd secrecy bordering on paranoia.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has an agenda mapped out quite well and it is fairly transparent- if you're paying attention. Like all startup environments, their ultimate aim is to be purchased by a larger company, thus allowing upper management to effectively line their pockets and ride off into the sunset. They're more than willing to do this on the backs of the research associates and scientists that have built the company.

Moderna takes advantage of all employees below the executive level- overworked and grossly underpaid, they feel as though they can get away with this type of behavior because of rival companies recently closing their doors. When the bubble bursts, the executives will have handsome rewards while the little guys will be have a place firmly set in the unemployment line. This mentality is not serving them; however. Within the last six months, both the CSO and the VP of Manufacturing quit on short notice. Moderna tried to spin it as a shortcoming of those employees; however, both of which worked consistently 100 hours a week only to be on the receiving end of the CEO's wrath and arrogance. I do wish I could give specific instances regarding the CEO; however, that would be telling of my identity- just take it that most of the things that come out of his mouth are positively flabbergasting and without a doubt abusive. He is unjustly paranoid and prone to wild attacks creating an atmosphere of deceit and hostility. He will pit employees against each other, overtly lie, and then find an ideal scapegoat among the lower employees and hang them out to dry. He is a master of creating a very toxic environment and I genuinely pity the people who are still employed there.

Should you decide that you want to work here, just know what you're getting yourself into. 60 hours a week in the lab is a vacation, that alone, wouldn't be bad. The sophomoric and soap opera-esque drama that unfolds on a daily basis does; however, have a proclivity for making an 80 hour work week feel like eternity.

unbelievably arrogant management, poor execution on a potential powerful technology

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics

Proscambridge is nice but expensive

Cons-upper management treats scientists very poorly
-no recognition or reward for hard work and successes
-questionable experimental practices

Advice to Senior Managementpotentially powerful technology, but that's not enough. treat employees as peers or you're be embarrassed that you botched the biggest story in biotech for the last few decades with incompetent management and toxic culture.

Amazing how Management does not change

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is potential for a new and exciting technology that could define a new class of therapeutics. The company has a few very scientifically strong Scientists and Research Associates that have provided the key data to make the unheard of deal that was made with Astra Zeneca.

ConsThe management is extremely arrogant and believes everyone beneath them is replaceable. They preach behaviors are just as important as performance; however, they do not treat their employees with respect at all. The CEO runs the company like a dictatorship and shows absolutely no respect for anyone but he demands everyone respect him. The CSO is incompetent and lacks the basic knowledge of how to run proper experiments. The company is growing but so is the negativity internally and the bad reputation externally.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so arrogant and realize that maybe the reason you were able to do that deal with AZ is because you have some very talented individuals working for you because if you don't they will continue to leave in droves....

an honest assessment

Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood location..a potentially innovative technology

Consso many to count!
management is incompetent!
favoritism is rampant. Incompetent RAs are retained because they know nothing but back-stabbing, bad-mouthing, kissing up....and sometime hamstring management into hiring them with threat of legal lawsuit for discrimination.
scientists are just not competent...you know who you are! only two are competent, the rest are just very average but somehow they survived by sucking up to management. My advice: go back to post doc! get yourself trained.
RAs are so incompetent...very low IQs. back-stabbing and kissing up are their sport. Only 3 or so RAs there are superbly intelligent and capable, one or two are definitely better than some scientists there. These 3 or so probably have a told in increasing the over all IQ average!
management? there is no word to describe them!

Advice to Senior Managementlook for for qualified people in your company and promote them...let them voice their opinion...get rid of the CSO who is just bad in every way especially in science....let the number 2 guy there(you know who he is!) takes over...he is the brain and the voice of reason!

Awful Place to Work

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics part-time

Pros- Cambridge is a great location.
- Friendly HR.

Cons- Questionable laboratory practices to increase data accumulation.
- Experiments were conducted by personnel with dubious scientific backgrounds.
- Lab personnel were hostile, possibly due to being overworked.
- Very high expectations for very little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease payrate in order to compensate for high expectations.

Working at Moderna is different work experience for better or worse

Indentured Servant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

ProsThe strength of Moderna is in the potential of the technology that we are working on. For the most part the people working in the lab make it easier to deal with some of the stress and pressure thrown at the research staff by upper management.

ConsThe poor planning and the changing of experiments and goals on the fly makes it extremely difficult at times to execute the proper experiments. There is also a sense of disrespect towards the research associates by upper management. The feeling is that they do not care about our personal time and our personal obligations outside of the Moderna building. This has lead to a turn style type turnover in employees. Some of the turnover was a good thing for the company as it removed some of the excess baggage; however, there also has been very skilled people who have left the company and that can not happen if Moderna is going to be succesful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important for management to realize that they need to respect their employees time and opinions because there are many very skilled and intelligent people in the lab that are not easily replaced. The compensation and benefits offered also need to become more competitive or people will continue to leave.

toxic environment

Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

Prossnacks and soda are provided

ConsModerna has unrealistic expectations of time commitment for all employees. The workloads are outrageous and extremely high turnover puts more stress on already strung out employees who remain. Bad science practices, blame and finger pointing abound and poor management and lack of planning send reverberations throughout the entire company on a daily basis.

I don't know why anyone would want to work here

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's in a great location in Cambridge.

ConsThe culture of the company is very dysfunctional and, frankly, frightening. A lot of people have been fired which management backs up using questionable, if not blatantly false, information. People are leaving the company faster than they can hire new people. So, between the firings and resignations, there's a lot of gossip and badmouthing going on within the company and an overall atmosphere of hostility and fear. Management takes advantage of employees by overworking them and then excluding them from getting proper recognition and credit---if anything, management actually punishes productive people by taking things away from them. It is common practice for the management team to position employees against each other in what appear to be bizarre mind games.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is run by an abusive and unbelievably disrespectful management team. Drop the take-it-or-leave-it attitude you have with working with employees because they are all leaving, you're not that great.

Terrible place to work

I worked at Moderna Therapeutics full-time for less than a year

ProsNone. Literally none. The building is kind of nice.

ConsThis place is a disaster. The CEO and CSO have no respect for the employees. It was made clear from the beginning that everyone is completely replaceable, but that plan seems to have backfired as they are now hemorrhaging people, and the new people they do hire are useless. They've lost over 10 people in 10 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo yourselves and the company a favor and quit, you are clearly not compatible.

Worked for Moderna Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Moderna Therapeutics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Moderna Therapeutics CEO Stéphane Bancel. All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by Moderna Therapeutics employees.