Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
Updated 28 August 2014

2.8

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 8 reviews)

• job security, average pay package, good benefits, just like working in DMV or public sector company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Mid- and senior management are complete morons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to be treated like an adult, keep looking

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Pomona, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Pomona, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Compensation is OK.

Cons

Work hours totally inflexible. You can not change your hours no matter if you take a half hour lunch or not. Period. And breaks are to be on schedule. Talking is highly discouraged. You will be reminded a thousand times of your "work hours". You can't listen to a radio, or even have your cell phone on your desk. Unless you're one of the favored ones. Then you can do what you like. Not enough or no providers to send members to. Referrals take forever. Members should not have to wait so long to get service. Which is why they don't choose Molina.

Your line workers line your pockets. Treat them with a little more respect. They can manage their time. They don't need to be so regimented. They can turn a radio off when a call comes in. They probably have more education than most managers. They can manage the simple things. Give them something to tell them they do a good job. You just got rid of "Above the Branches". Which lets them know you seriously don't care. The work place in Pomona is awful. Try to do something to make this building at least a little better. When the air goes out in the summer and its over 90 degrees inside, they should be able to go home to work. Without your line workers, you have no company.

Dissatisfied, they don't care about their employees

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Augusta, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Augusta, ME (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offer good benefits. Do offer training and promote from within. If you conform to 'their' way, you can go far.

Cons

Leadership is ineffective. There is blatant discrimination throughout the company. The morale of Maine employees is at an all time low, rather than trying to improve it, they just ignore it. Good employees are leaving. HR representation is a joke. Molina does not care about its employees, their only focus is on money. They literally drove me out with a bully boss and created a hostile environment for everyone in my department.

Spend more time listening to your employees and follow through with their complaints.

I am hoping I will like the company better if/when I can be promoted out of the call center.

Current Employee - Member Services Representative  in  Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Member Services Representative in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Low cost personal health insurance. The history of how the company came to be. The Molina family. I was impressed with their ideals when visiting the corporate office.

Cons

Performance being graded solely on numerous stats/matrix. If you don't meet their extremely high goals they are very quick to write you up. Being monitored every minute of every day. Constant reminders. Half hour lunches. Not enough time to go out for lunch. Very rigid schedules. Difficult to develop comrodery with co workers because all breaks and lunches are scheduled for you each day. No time to blow off steam after a crappy phone call, the next one comes whether you are ready for it or not. And there are many crappy phone calls when you are administering Medicaid. Very stressful job with low pay and perfection being expected of you every minute.

Stop treating call center employees like they are children. Trust your employees more and treat them like the intelligent adults they are. I understand phone coverage is priority in a call center. However, the entire staff is not going to just get up and take their lunch and breaks at the same time. The schedule could at least be to take lunch during a particular hour but not down to the exact minute. Recognize an employee's worth based on experience and pay them a living wage. Recognize that some of your requirements just don't make sense. Required statements/scripts during phone calls that do not follow the natural flow of conversation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proceed with caution

I have been working at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Co-workers and middle management care about the quality of the work - their own and the mission of the company.

Cons

Corporate is out of touch with the state health plans. Genuine and compentent executives are few and far between. Decisions are made based on personal agendas and nepotism rather than on sound business.

Molina could be much better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

Salary was comparable. Good co-workers.

Cons

Leadership is no longer effective. There is blatant discrimination throughout the company. The morale of employees is at an all time low, rather than trying to improve it, they just ignore it. Good employees are leaving. HR representation is a joke. Molina does not care about its employees, their only focus is on money.

Leadership should listen to their staff.

Molina Medicaid is Resistant to Change

Current Employee - Manager IT
    Current Employee - Manager IT

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Molina Healthcare culture from the California parent company is great - the company values its employees and goes out of its way to make people a part of the team and focus on Molina's customers.

Cons

The state Medicaid group is stuck in the past and refuses to change. New ideas are ignored and new employees are regarded as not understanding "how we do things." Transparency across the Medicaid group is non-existent.

Get out of the past and realistically assess the Medicaid environment.

Review

Current Employee - Quality Analyst
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Healthcare company to work for

Cons

Not into remote workers, genaerally

Molina is a good place to learn

Current Employee - Intern  in  Bothell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Innovative and adaptive, the company is definitely growing as many companies are during medicare expansion. We have one of the largest provider networks in Washington which makes dealing with prospective providers easier. The work we do is rewarding.

Cons

Some managers and bosses do not interact with their employees well. Communication is a two way street and everybody should allow transparency when possible.

The BEST Company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Provider Research & Resolution Representative II  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Provider Research & Resolution Representative II in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Molina is truly a family oriented company, and they make each employee feel special. I have great a great benefit package and compensation.

Cons

No work at home opportunities in my department

Management is great and very flexible. I am not just saying these things because I have worked at two other Insurance companies, and I have NEVER enjoyed my employment like I do here at Molina.

A lot of change, all at once

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of growth in the company. A lot of opportunity in the industry. Growth opportunity for those with the right skills. Good benefits.

Cons

A lot of growing pains. Issues with management not being ready for all of the change. Maybe a bit too much for them to handle.

Worked for Molina Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!