MomentumSI

Updated 25 September 2014
Updated 25 September 2014
3.1

CEO

Consulting is for a select few

Former Employee - Junior Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Junior Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. You get to work with new technology. MomentumSI makes it's living by selling services to companies who do not have certain skill-sets. That means that they'll encourage you to learn the newest tech such as cloud based computing and devops tools.

2. If you like remote development, you'll love this company. They have an office, but no one goes there. Everyone meets in Sococo.

3. You'll meet some really bright people. It's a given since they have always perform on a deadline.

Cons

Be ready to have almost zero support when in customer engagements. This is not for all projects, but since they are stretched out thin it can get hectic for everyone. This is normal for a consulting firm.

This company, and consulting firms in general, are not for people who wants to own the software they build or be know in the open-source community. Consulting firms often work with proprietary software and do not encourage open-source involvement.

The ability to travel is a must. Recruitment will tell you that consultants work in client sites at most 3 days out of the month. That's not true. You can be in engagements weeks at-a-time.

Make sure that what recruiters says to potential employees is what's really happening inside the company.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was only there for a week, so it was hard to find any pros. The salary was decent I guess, and some of the people I met were friendly.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. First, "up to 50% travel" was actually "at least 50% travel, 100% at first." And the travel was weird: rather than a hotel, you're expected to live in their house ("The Purple Palace"). So, no work-life balance at all.

I didn't actually do anything the entire time I was there, just read documentation alone. At one point my boss called to criticize my wardrobe (perfectly standard; slacks and a button-down shirt).

Then, after a week, they fired me but refused to even say why. Pretty infuriating actually.

I don't think this "virtual company" thing is working for you. I also don't think you know how to interact with adult professionals, as opposed to frat boys.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at MomentumSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- I worked here for several years before I left to try some new things. Came back a year and a half ago to take advantage of a great opportunity.
    - The fact that I get exposed to multiple leading edge technologies, inherently promotes my job security.
    - Few companies have the learning opportunities afforded here.
    - Management is fair in all matters, internal or customer-facing.
    - The firm is growing rapidly given demand for modern technology services.
    - I get to work remotely from the Bay Area. Although, I collaborate extensively with colleagues on Hangouts, Skype, StatusPath and Yammer.

Cons

- Because I work remote, I sometimes miss daily interactions with colleagues on a daily basis in an office environment.
    - If you are not intellectually curious and not always looking to expand your knowledge, you will not like it here.

I already provide ideas and feedback to management on an ongoing basis. Glad to report that I get a fair hearing and actions taken based on merit.

My experience was fantastic at MomentumSI- as ideal as possible

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at MomentumSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with the newest,latest and greatest technologies and staying ahead of the technology curve with DevOp's and Cloud. Getting to travel and work at different client sites and with grow my skill set through the different opportunities

Cons

Not a lot to complain about; great team to work with and if anything, just the travel can be an adjustment to get used to

Continue to provide different opportunities to grow from within

Technically rewarding, verbal expectation nightmare

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI

Pros

Best of MSI is their ability to ask you to do anything beyond what you've done already - great for folks who want to expand their technical abilities and are self-motivated to learn. They pay/reward well for specific ability. They will also expect your participation in CEO efforts that often expand your technical ability and be of strategic value at the time. Good recognition for those contributions.

Cons

MSI has long hours and are very apt to tell you one thing yet do another. Make sure you get all 'offers' and statements of work in writing - especially when it comes to anything you 'think' you'll receive as compensation for work/travel or expect to do at a client. If you're not currently engaged - be prepared to do low level development or sales support if you're a consultant- this is not a job where you can focus only on your given area of expertise.

Formalize the hiring process and ensure verbal discussions match written SOWs and or agreements with clients and employees. Nothing worse than going to a client expecting one thing and doing another. (This is from an expectation on both the client part - and the consultant's.)