MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment(in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company(in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry(in 5 reviews)

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

IT (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThere are some nice people,

ConsThis has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

Cost cutting - To what end

Technical Support (Current Employee) Brooklyn Center, MN (US)

ProsOverall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

ConsBenefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Just okay

ProsOffice Culture is unique, Some perks are worth, retirement benefit is not a choice you have to or they sign you up, Cubicle placement is good, Teamwork is great on some teams

ConsCommunication is lacking at times. There seems to be a disconnect for those that have the information. No cross training, Not may changes for promotion. Some training is a must. Putting irresponsible employees in charge of getting information to everyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great until I was terminated, taking the fall for a manager.

Workflow Director (Former Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsMost of my co-workers were great team players and really good people. The Benefits were good and the environment was laid back but productive.

ConsCorporate didn't understand the teams that were not located at headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people in the trenches usually know what's going on, listen to them.

My experience (8 years) with MoneyGram has provided me with great international business skills

Finance (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGetting visability to a true Global Corporation and how it functions across many countries, cultures, and languages.

ConsVery siloed enviornment. Cross department interactions is limited and at times, resented.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting costs, doesn't make a stronger company.

Had great opportunities to gain experience and business knowledge

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lakewood, CO (US)

ProsWorked with a great team, great friendly enviornment. Had some employee appreciation events.

ConsThe people running the company were not transparent in their changes. There was an enormous amount of change in a short period of time, employee moral was low due to rumors and uncertainty in job safety. Outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees, especially those who aren't in the upper levels. They are the front line of the company and make the money that pays our salary. Keep them informed of changes, their lives outside of work should matter. Many of these people have dedicated 10+ years to the company and their input on policy, procedures and changes were never considered. Maintain jobs in the U.S, company quality is going to signigicantly decline now that customer service is completely outsourced.

Global fast paced atmosphere

Accountant II (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThere are a lot of projects going on; it is easy to get involved in

ConsDisconnect between systems and reporting

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key

bad place work

Prosbenefit ony. but no longer available

Conslow pay. center is closing. co workers low wrok ethic

Long time veteran and enjoyed every single day during my employment

ProsDiversity is strong. Great leadership from upper management. Employees have a great rapport with each other.

ConsNot much transparency. Global restructuing leading to more outsourced jobs.

Growing out of control

Human Resources (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsAmazing people, profitable company, work-life balance

Conslack of control, lower compensation, very lean

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!