MoneyGram International

Updated 26 January 2015
2.3

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor organization structure, lack of communication, salaries are very low, space is cramped up, benefits and add ons are poor (in 5 reviews)

• Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good but constantly changing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable salary at higher levels. Interesting work. Opportunities to be creative and come up with new ideas. Lots of interaction with colleagues around the world. Good colleagues to work with.

Cons

Senior management inexperienced about the industry. Lots of firings. Can be fired in a heartbeat, irrespective of performance, particularly if you get a new boss. Lots of politics. Very US centric.

Recognise, reward and retain the people who deliver results.

A boat with flame, go to sink step by step

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

only the life and work balance is good.

Cons

blind management lead blind people

no words

Unprofessional and mediocre

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

Cons

Fast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Take some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

A place to really excel if you are willing to put in the work!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MoneyGram is TRULY a global organization. I get the chance to work with individuals all over the world. It is a place that if you are willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard, your efforts are rewarded. The people at MoneyGram are fun and dedicated to the cause!

Cons

Because it's a global organization, I have had to adjust my 'waking up' schedule. Sometimes we have early morning calls, but it's worth it to get to work with my peers abroad.

Continue to share what is going on with your leaders and ask them to make sure it funnels down.

Umm....

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance, peer group, location

Cons

Upward mobility, career trajectory is non existence, lack of support from upper management, morale

Stop talking so much and just listen .......

Global complaints specialist

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Company provides 401k plans, health, dental and vision coverage. Multicultural environment.

Cons

Due to outsourcing, majority of the US based positions are being sent overseas. The focus on the bottom line overpowers the quality of work and employees.

So-so

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Decent PTO and free coffee I guess.

Cons

Poor communication. Upper management so cut off from the rank and file that it's not even funny anymore. Tone deaf leaders pretending everything is normal as the ship sails for Poland. This company is sinking quickly.

Management would never listen to advice.

Learning how the company works and how interesting it is to talk to different nationalities.

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When you are trying to help people out there are so many people who are just great at misleading other people, and when we could help solve peoples problems and save them money it felt great.

Cons

Listening to people, and finding out what a business is up to if they are legitimate with there clients and the people that work for them. Time off could be negative and this happens at so many call centers. For example you have time off called ( PTO )paid time off but you come to work you are lucky if you have PTO because you can use it. But if you don't and you are sick if you don't call in 24 hours ahead of time to let them know you are sick, and you happen to show up at work and you become ill, throwing up for example and you tell them you need to go home you can occur an occurrence and they may give you a warning other times they will write you up for being ill. Because you didn't give them a 24 hour notice. How are you supposed to know that you are going to be ill. Sometimes you have know idea what your body is going to do. The company is closing and we are all getting laid off.

When you are training someone. And you have them training side by side with someone, for the duration of the training let them sit with that one person always. You confuse people when you have them sit with different people and you get them all mixed up everyone trains differently. If they learn from just one person they learn their techniques and their skills, but when you try to train with different people everyday they each have a different way of doing their job and you loose the person that you are training it becomes difficult learning from one person to the next. For time off policies I understand we get sick but if someone is trying to come to work even though they are ill and you can see that they are ill. Management should recognize that. They were there sometimes the illness can carry to other employees as well. Send those people home.

Toxic, toxic environment.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

After more than 22 years, my job is coming to an end on December 31st, and is being outsourced to Poland. What a great company it used to be. Now, the only ones to get a promotion are those in senior management.

Cons

Lots of turnover, little training, low pay, small merit increases.

Management: I know you're committed to outsourcing most of the positions, but do you have any idea how much experience is walking out the door?

Ok work environment

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst I in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with outlets around the world in legl compliance, team atmosphere and training opportunities in the legal/compliance field.

Cons

The upper management never really provided much feedback on work. Many of my colleagues spent the day applying for other jobs .

Give more feedback on work.