MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment(in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company(in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry(in 5 reviews)

Good but constantly changing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsReasonable salary at higher levels. Interesting work. Opportunities to be creative and come up with new ideas. Lots of interaction with colleagues around the world. Good colleagues to work with.

ConsSenior management inexperienced about the industry. Lots of firings. Can be fired in a heartbeat, irrespective of performance, particularly if you get a new boss. Lots of politics. Very US centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise, reward and retain the people who deliver results.

Unprofessional and mediocre

(Current Employee)

ProsThe only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

ConsFast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

Lack of labor resources

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGreat people for the most part

ConsZero time for any personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementDallas is not ground zero for talent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent people to work with. It went down the tube after the financial fiasco.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the people I worked with including my boss. We all helped each other. It was very multilingual and multicultural and loved the atmosphere. Great benefits.

ConsPay raise was almost close to nothing every year. Upper management didn't really care about us little people. All they cared about their bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. They are outsourcing everything.

Overpromised, under deliver and can't stop tripping over themselves...

ProsPay is competitive for my level...Work is something interesting and challenging.

ConsIn-fighting between the business and IT. No communication within the IT org among the execs - seriously, they sit on the same floor in the same building but they don't communicate. The politicking is horrendous. It is like being in Washington DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you had to send a business analyst to one of your sites to ask why people are leaving....wow. Minds are blown all over the place...really?

MGI SUCKS TOO MANY POLITICS AND RACIST

Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Frisco, TX (US)

ProsHmmm can't think of any

ConsManagers never hold anyone accountable and tends to fire a lot of people of color although they are the ones doing the majority of the work... If you want to get promoted good luck if you are not kissing upper-management butt... Trainers suck and tend to have less experienced then 85% of employees.. The company continues hiring individuals who have no experience in the role they are doing and thus making FTE pick up the slack.... Management continues to develop so called tools that help employees but only slows us down... Company is just bad what else can I say... Nobody respects management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop picking favorites and do your damn job. Fire the correct individuals and promote the workers busting their butt and doing the job correctly. Why have team leads if they are idiots. Also learn to be managers and manage. Most the time managers tend to look down on hard working employees who put in the hours but they have other employees who walk around gossip and talk for hours at their desk and they still have their job.

Worst place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

ProsNothing that I could think of.

Cons1) Always change in the management
    2) The leadership team never works hard and is not working towards adding value to the company. They always think about their personal gains.
    3) The leaders form a cozy club. They provide new career opportunities, promotion and pay rise among themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire and respect good resources. Without good resources no company will survive

Embattled Company with too many ongoing corporate risks and overstretched management

Corporate Counsel (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsDynamic industry with lots of potential, especially for a 2nd player to a much larger leader.

ConsManagement is unprepared to lead company strategy and employees, proven by many of my colleagues leaving, many shareholder lawsuits, $100 mil fine, DOJ Monitor for 5 years, over-reliance on WalMart, disbanding of departments with no consideration for employees....

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the quality of the team and the way it approaches business on all scales, not just patching up symptoms.

The Management is not interested in their employees at all. If you have any question, idea, issue they do not want it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsVacation, a lot when you first start.

ConsNo leadership, No communication, No flexibility, No employee interest, a lot of "leadership" talking behind employees backs with other employees and promotions are given to cover quota not filling with employee's by qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees. The ones who do the day to day are the ones you should be getting advice from. Be more involved in their personal lives you have a lot of good people who have everyday issues just like you do but because they are not at your level they do not have the flexibility you do.

It's 'okay'...I guess

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsMostly good people, good pay, decent benefits, good PTO offering. Committed to compliance and consumer education regarding scams.

ConsLimited number of company Holidays (6), always reactive versus proactive when responding to the competitive landscape, little to no visibility into upper management, lots of politics throughout the company, lack of communication throughout company. Company culture doesn't seem to have been fully defined - it seems to differ by department.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better establish the company culture. Offer more training to develop leaders/managers in the company.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!