MoneyGram International

Updated 20 August 2014

2.5

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good but constantly changing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Reasonable salary at higher levels. Interesting work. Opportunities to be creative and come up with new ideas. Lots of interaction with colleagues around the world. Good colleagues to work with.

Cons

Senior management inexperienced about the industry. Lots of firings. Can be fired in a heartbeat, irrespective of performance, particularly if you get a new boss. Lots of politics. Very US centric.

Recognise, reward and retain the people who deliver results.

Unprofessional and mediocre

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

Cons

Fast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Take some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

great

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

good company
    good environment
    Good employees
    Easily move up

Cons

good company
    good environment
    Good employees
    Easily move up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be innovative but lost their heart & soul

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lakewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On the upside, it is becoming a truly global company. Opportunities for interesting work and higher compensation are at the higher levels.

Cons

Grew too fast without a substantial infrastructure in place. Became top-heavy (still are) and cut costs by outsourcing and right-shoring (an oxymoron if there ever was one). Evidence of overall mistrust and frustration at their 3 primary US locations due to Sr. Leadership secrecy surrounding ongoing and pending large-scale layoffs.

Follow creative leadership advice and familiarize yourselves with how higher rated companies treat their employees.

Blinding management

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work and life is some like balance. That's all. No other benefits. No chance to improve yourself in this company.

Cons

Management have no direction. No one have responsible for things. Only the one kiss the manager butt could get promotion

Step down now

Struggling through change

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture is unique. People for the most part are trying to do what is right for the company. Benefits are ok.

Cons

Lack of communication and clear direction from the leadership team.

There needs to be more clear direction from leadership. Seems to have a lack of ownership on projects. Lack of agreement among leadership on what the priorities are for the business.

Lack of labor resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people for the most part

Cons

Zero time for any personal life.

Dallas is not ground zero for talent

Excellent people to work with. It went down the tube after the financial fiasco.

I worked at MoneyGram International

Pros

I loved the people I worked with including my boss. We all helped each other. It was very multilingual and multicultural and loved the atmosphere. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay raise was almost close to nothing every year. Upper management didn't really care about us little people. All they cared about their bottom line.

Nothing. They are outsourcing everything.

Overpromised, under deliver and can't stop tripping over themselves...

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is competitive for my level...Work is something interesting and challenging.

Cons

In-fighting between the business and IT. No communication within the IT org among the execs - seriously, they sit on the same floor in the same building but they don't communicate. The politicking is horrendous. It is like being in Washington DC.

If you had to send a business analyst to one of your sites to ask why people are leaving....wow. Minds are blown all over the place...really?

MGI SUCKS TOO MANY POLITICS AND RACIST

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Frisco, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Hmmm can't think of any

Cons

Managers never hold anyone accountable and tends to fire a lot of people of color although they are the ones doing the majority of the work... If you want to get promoted good luck if you are not kissing upper-management butt... Trainers suck and tend to have less experienced then 85% of employees.. The company continues hiring individuals who have no experience in the role they are doing and thus making FTE pick up the slack.... Management continues to develop so called tools that help employees but only slows us down... Company is just bad what else can I say... Nobody respects management

Stop picking favorites and do your damn job. Fire the correct individuals and promote the workers busting their butt and doing the job correctly. Why have team leads if they are idiots. Also learn to be managers and manage. Most the time managers tend to look down on hard working employees who put in the hours but they have other employees who walk around gossip and talk for hours at their desk and they still have their job.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!