MoneyGram International

Updated 22 September 2014
2.5

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley
Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment (in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor organization structure, lack of communication, salaries are very low, space is cramped up, benefits and add ons are poor (in 5 reviews)

• Government regulations and fuzzy guidance from upper management hurting the company (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional, Archaic Culture, Little Direction

Former Employee - IT  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - IT in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

There are some nice people,

Cons

This has to be one of the most archaic cultures you will find. If you want long hours, below market compensation, only 6 paid holidays and poor, indecisive, but secretive elitist management, then this is the place for you. Consider working there at your own risk. It will seem fine going in, but you will quickly question your decision. They are hiring because the turnover is high and their compensation is below market for nearly all of their roles. I was in IT and I saw and heard how disgruntled the full-time workers were throughout the company with salary, benefits and the micromanaging culture. Also, the Wal-Mart impact is bigger than what they are telling everyone. They are going to layoff and outsource jobs soon.

Not sure what you can tell people who get paid a ton of money and won't listen or pay attention to what they see, namely the high turnover.

Cost cutting - To what end

Current Employee - Technical Support  in  Brooklyn Center, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Brooklyn Center, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall, the co-workers I deal with are great. My supervisors over the last 10+ years have been pretty good. Benefits are not bad.

Cons

Benefits have steadily eroded since I joined. Less vacation time. Higher premiums for Insurance. Fewer opportunities. Fewer paid holidays.

Morale is horrible throughout the company.

Information is sketchy and rumors spread like wildfire.

Weak executive leadership that is absolutely horrible at communicating with customers or employees.

Lack of direction. Trying to react to market with "me too" solutions. No innovation.

Outmoded systems.

Total lack of respect for front-line employees.

Get a clue. Quit thinking about your next bonus and the next quarter. Maybe it is time to think long - term strategy. This is a business that will likely boom as more and more people in the US are forced away from the traditional banking system. But you won't be part of it if you lose your biggest and best customers today.

Worked for MoneyGram 15 years...currently for online product

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Rapidly growing company, helps many people. I have awesome coworkers and a great relationship with my department leadership. Talk to a wide range of customers every day.

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement. The company seems to be moving away from an emphasis on customer service toward company-wide cost cutting. It is a shame so many people must lose their jobs in the next year.

Moving jobs outside US can't be the only way to cut costs. I predict fraud and chargeback rate will skyrocket. Keep MGO operations in US.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's 'okay'...I guess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mostly good people, good pay, decent benefits, good PTO offering. Committed to compliance and consumer education regarding scams.

Cons

Limited number of company Holidays (6), always reactive versus proactive when responding to the competitive landscape, little to no visibility into upper management, lots of politics throughout the company, lack of communication throughout company. Company culture doesn't seem to have been fully defined - it seems to differ by department.

Work to better establish the company culture. Offer more training to develop leaders/managers in the company.

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Saint Louis Park, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Saint Louis Park, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

There is always a great work life balance and always opportunities to learn new things for the company is up-todate in the technological front.

Cons

Changes implemented are more rapid with less time for the associates to assimilate them and go with the change.

Just okay

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

Office Culture is unique, Some perks are worth, retirement benefit is not a choice you have to or they sign you up, Cubicle placement is good, Teamwork is great on some teams

Cons

Communication is lacking at times. There seems to be a disconnect for those that have the information. No cross training, Not may changes for promotion. Some training is a must. Putting irresponsible employees in charge of getting information to everyone.

Global fast paced atmosphere

Current Employee - Accountant II  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant II in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of projects going on; it is easy to get involved in

Cons

Disconnect between systems and reporting

Communication is key

bad place work

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time

Pros

benefit ony. but no longer available

Cons

low pay. center is closing. co workers low wrok ethic

Great until I was terminated, taking the fall for a manager.

Former Employee - Workflow Director  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Workflow Director in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at MoneyGram International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people. The Benefits were good and the environment was laid back but productive.

Cons

Corporate didn't understand the teams that were not located at headquarters.

The people in the trenches usually know what's going on, listen to them.

My experience (8 years) with MoneyGram has provided me with great international business skills

Current Employee - Finance  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at MoneyGram International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Getting visability to a true Global Corporation and how it functions across many countries, cultures, and languages.

Cons

Very siloed enviornment. Cross department interactions is limited and at times, resented.

Cutting costs, doesn't make a stronger company.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!