Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant

Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest(in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align(in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking")(in 16 reviews)

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFantastic growth opportunities with maximum return on time-effort investment. Great, fun people to work with. Superb annual barbecue with great music.

ConsWorst point is that you have to go home at the end of the day, leaving behind the wonderful colleague team spirit and office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing as it is working very well. Just sit back and take a step back from time to time.

It's the culture

Systems Administrative (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe culture promotes open communication and sharing of thoughts and ideas.
    Management tends to be very approachable with a lack of ego and condescension.
    Relaxed atmosphere and reasonable HR policies.
    Very much a team oriented work environment.
    A relaxed environment but still very little tolerance for dead-wood employees.
    After a year or so, it's comparatively easy to make lateral moves to other departments and broaden your skills sets.

ConsLabor is predominately contractors....challenging to land a full time job there.
    You could work there for 3 years and still be a contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour lower management manages to be both people oriented as well as mission oriented.
    They balance pursuit of excellence with compassion.
    It would be best to continue down that path of encouraging such management style.

Great experience

Seed Process Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsAs a co-op, I was given plenty of responsibility and I gained a lot of great experience there. Great company to work for as it offers great compensation and benefits, the employees are really down to earth and passionate people in general. Great work life balance as well.

ConsThe only downside to working in Monsanto is probably the constant negative publicity the company receive in the press due to the genetically modified crops that it is utilizing and the various farming practices it is trying to implement. Personally, I support the development of GMO and farming productivity in general, but the publicity is quite annoying sometimes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place, hard climb

Customer Operation Specialist (Former Employee) Morges (Switzerland)

ProsGood balance work / life - good salary and dynamic environment (Switzerland office)

ConsNot always good communication among departments. Difficult to upgrade position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute better the resources.

Crop Intern

Crop (Current Employee) Monmouth, IL (US)

ProsLearned a ton of valuable information. They provided great knowledge with cutting edge technology. The management at the Monmouth farm really allowed a lot of freedom and trusted us with our jobs.

Really enjoyed the experience and value the information I learned during that summer

ConsLong hours were sometimes tough but always were taken care of.

A great, innovative place to work.

ProsThe work is challenging and there are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills through cross-project collaboration.

ConsThere is a tendency to favor a pipeline mentality, that, while efficient, is less flexible in meeting rapidly - changing research objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership sees way too many polished PowerPoint slide decks from mid-level management in R&D that often don't reflect the data or technical challenges of a project very accurately.

Monsanto is a challenging and enjoyable place to work.

Planner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsInteresting problems to solve. Other perks besides salary.

ConsMatrix structure is sometimes hard to understand and navigate.

Not bad

Co-Op (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood engineers with sufficient cutting edge knowledge of what they do. Some of the best Software engineers in the midwest region with a vast amount of hands on experience work here.

ConsAgro centric company. usually the funds for the IT division of the company is very limited and the profits reaped out of this division is perhaps pooled up with the whole business and never reinvested back. Always a budget issue!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire co-ops as full time

Ok for scientists, bad for IT

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsDiversity, benefits, nice offices, summer hours

ConsNo opportunities for growing. If you want to have a decent check with no improvement on your resume ever this is your company. Overtime, the good pay is not that good since your resume would never show an improvement no matter how hard you work. Contractors come and go and you train and train in addition to an extenuos work load. The company lets go older employees and hires young contractors in exchange. Contractors leave when they notice how hard it is to get a full time job. Monsanto revolving doors are a reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer career paths and focus on employee development

Experience has been fari

ProsCompensation, benefits, and training.

ConsWork life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align. To deliver results work life balance must often be sacrificed.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!