Morgan Stanley

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.4 1,543 reviews

Morgan Stanley CEO James P. Gorman

James P. Gorman

Pros
  • Their work life balance policies allow you to work from home when you cannot get in(in 95 reviews)

• There are lots of smart people there who you can learn a lot from(in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them(in 90 reviews)

• Long hours in the operation department when the market is bad(in 105 reviews)

1,543 Employee Reviews

Good collaborative culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery strong collaborative culture, pretty low on politics. Nice environment to work in with supportive management. Good technology culture.

ConsThere was high churn rate post 2007 with junior employees frustrated by static salaries and a lack of new projects.

Worst out of US banks but better than European banks

Vice President (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBig company with massive matrix so easy to hide, good place to start

ConsBig company inefficiencies, a lot of people with big heads, chip on their shoulder about goldman

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after women

Morgan Stanley

Director (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsLoads of opportunity in terms of products, region, markets and services covered.

ConsFast-paced global Company that is run extremely competitively means there is little room for anything other then executing, to high standard 100% of the time over 50+ hours a week - and that was just getting by.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow building in more redundancy so everything is not run on the knife edge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good culture

Associate (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsA firm with a clear strategy and good leadership; lots of opportunities to learn

ConsPay is average for the amount of work one does

Great experience, great work environment with excellent people

Analyst (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsGreat culture, plenty of opportunities, a lot to have for professional development, enjoyable challenges

Conshaven't noticed any except fear of downsizing

Advice to Senior Managementplease be a little extra clear on downsizing policies otherwise you are doing a great job

Miserable place that I would not recommend to my worst enemy

Director (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI worked in Securites Operations and I can honestly say I cannot think of 1 pro - I had a miserable time there

ConsFar too much focus on bell curve management and inexperienced managers who have never worked anywhere else trying to mange people using powerpoints from senior leaders.
    You have to be in the 'in crowd' or have a military background to progress.
    Compensation - you feel its bad when you are there, but that gets confirmed it when you leave for a 25% increase................

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace some of the 20 year Operational Directors who have no other industry experience, who are all scared to leave because of either share options or fear of the unknown - some of these individuals are clueless but manage their teams by creating a culture of fear - disagree with them and you get labelled a 'low performer' - this firm doesn't encourage free thinking.

Nice company but boring work

Technology Associate (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- Nice working environment, friendly and polite colleagues, chilled out atmosphere.
    - Flexible working arrangements, excellent remote computing facilities.
    - Workload is reasonable. There's good work/life balance.
    - Corporate perks.
    - Looks good on CV.

Cons- Work is boring and not very challenging.
    - Most of the time you're pigeonholed into working on one specific (often boring) project.
    - Endless meetings and red-tape to get even simple tasks done.
    - A lot of time is spent pointing fingers and playing politics, rather than focusing on project deliverables.
    - Developers do a disproportionate amount of support and admin.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's better to encourage collaboration rather than have each team member work on separate components in isolation.

Cheap Labour Camp

Commodities Analyst (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsGreat exposure to a variety of business units and functions

ConsCrazy hours, poor management, incomprehensible HR / compensation policy

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless chronic issues are dealt with MS will always be devoid of any experienced staff

IT Consultant

ProsVery professional & knowledgeable people. Good environment to learn. Great processes given global team collaboration on projects.

ConsLong working hours expects when dealing with US teams.
    In some cases the majority of your team is overseas based.

Awesome Company, Awesome People

IT Associate (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- Great place to work with a really friendly work culture
    - Remote working and life balance

Cons- Hardly any, had a great 5 years there

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!