Motley Fool

Updated 22 November 2014
4.6

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Do work you're passionate about, for a mission you believe in, alongside the best and brightest in their fields.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is one of drive, entrepreneurship, fun, and helping the world invest better. As an employee you are trusted and respected (you don't get treated like a child; you can wear what you want, show up and leave when you want, and there's no vacation policy). That gives you the confidence to go about your work in the best way suited for you, and success is strongly rewarded. Fun, competitive culture for sure.

Cons

Not many to speak of, but one I'd mention is the start-up culture at The Fool can lead to changing short-term goals from time-to-time.

Keep allowing your employees to voice their opinions, but also make sure current priorities align with our long-term objectives.

Multiple internships, will be returning ASAP

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA (US)

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The Motley Fool puts people first. This means customers and employees. What makes them so fantastic to work for is the lack of any ridiculous corporate bureaucracy. Everyone is extremely humble no matter their position and want to know what they can do better. The culture (a word that they love and work so hard to perfect) is one that promotes bettering one's self. They do peer review multiple times a year, they have classes all the time taught by employees about pretty much anything that anyone can take, they have tons of fitness classes and play pick up soccer, basketball, and floor hockey every week, and always have fruit and other healthy snacks free to munch on.

Cons

Because of the unrestricted work schedule and ability to work from home, sometimes it was difficult tracking people down if you needed to collaborate. I don't really think this is an overall negative because the benefits of being able to work the hours that work for you and being able to remote in completely outweigh this one negative but it said I had to put something.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Excellent company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Keep it up.

More than just perks

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool has a lot of great perks that are listed on this site and come up in the reviews. The thing you can't see on a list is the atmosphere of the company. You are surrounded by intelligent, down to earth people that make you better, every day. Your coworkers challenge you to keep improving yourself mentally, physically, and in your role. It is an ever changing job that keeps you interested for the long haul.

Cons

Mixing up roles can be stressful even if you know it's a good thing in the end. Just like moving to a new house is stressful even though you know it is better for you family.

Keep mixing things up but make sure to thoroughly communicate in a timely manner.

Great place to work – but not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I think it’s important to remember that no work environment is perfect for everyone. I have worked at The Motley Fool for more than a decade and here are the reasons I still love it here.

Amazing People – The people that I work with are some of the smartest, kindest and most dedicated I’ve ever met. In my work and even casual conversations I’m challenged and stimulated. Generally people that are jerks don’t last long around here because it’s just so counter to the culture.

Constant Learning – The posts here have focused around the “lack of career path.” This is really by design and I love it. The Fool is constantly trying to align talent of the individual with the needs of the business. For me that has lead me to jobs I would have never imagined and given me opportunities to learn and grow beyond my wildest dreams. I assumed when I started here that I would be in marketing for the rest of my life, but I’ve now done product strategy, customer service, human resources, and tech strategy. I look at my career now and think I can learn or do anything and my skill sets are so broad that I can speak across several different levels of any organization and connect business initiatives across departments

I can be myself – I bring 100% of me to work every day. "Me" is hard working and analytical, but also a little kooky, nerdy, silly. I’ve had jobs that I felt like I was leaving a part of myself at the door and that I was slowly become someone else that was hard and jaded. I don't feel that here. I can joke and play and still be taken seriously on a professional level too.

Transparency – I love knowing how we are doing and how my job feeds into that. Everyone is encouraged to know the top and bottom line of the company, how our business model works and how their job fits into the company's long and short term plans. In previous jobs I’ve had no idea we were doing poorly until layoffs were announced or no idea that we were doing well until some people got big bonuses – but not everyone. I love that our bonus structure is the same for everyone and if we do well everyone does well, and if we are in trouble everyone pulls together to cut costs.

Fun – I’m encouraged to have fun in my work and if I’m not having fun I’m encouraged to fix that.

Cons

Here are reasons you’ll be frustrated if you decide to work here and it's the wrong fit.

Speed – Things move fast ALL THE TIME. We are a performance culture. I like the challenge of that but if you think this is a “great culture” where work/life balance means that you don’t work hard, you’ll be disappointed. It is flexible and there is a lot of fun, but there is always a lot to do.

Change – I guess this goes with speed, but when something’s not working we change it. If we find a better way next week we change it again. This might lead to new jobs, new roles, new bosses, new initiatives frequently. I find that stimulating, but for some people it feels a little chaotic. If the seems energizing to you will like it here. If not you'll be confused and frustrated frequently.

Communication – With so much change and speed it’s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time. You have to be proactive and build networks within the company to keep up to date. But this is encouraged and I don’t ever feel like information is intentionally left out – only that it hasn’t caught up to the official channels.

Career Path – You never know exactly what your next step is around here, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t have opportunities. You won’t grow from representative to manager to VP to SVP to Chief something, but my experience is that I’ve seen consistent opportunities to learn, grow, and develop - and although a little confusing on paper, my career and skill sets have consistently grown along with my compensation.

As we grow it’s going to be more important to scale leadership transparency and communication. Things that came very naturally in the past may need a little more attention. I’ve seen some reviews in here about leadership and I think most of them come from a lack of understanding. In the past it was easy for everyone to say – “I sat in on an ExCom meeting and the intentions are good” I think it’s harder as we grow and as the company has more locations to maintain that same level of transparency and trust. I really don’t think it has changed – I just think as we grow it's harder to see the great and deliberate intent put into our strategies and decisions. Keep up the great work!

Great place to work, moves quickly.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, where your roles and responsibilities may change frequently.

Cons

Can be stressful if you don't like change.

A good place to work with a good CEO, but don't expect to be highly rewarded.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about the Motley Fool is that you are given a great deal of autonomy if you do your job well. Don't want to come in on Wednesdays? Whatever. So long as you continue to perform at a high level, the company does not care what you do. If you are interested, it is encouraged to go bug other departments to get a better idea of how the business as a whole works.

Your role at the Fool will be mostly what you make of it, and there is no real reason you can't switch roles once you get in the door. This happens pretty frequently, so if you want to try out new things, there's really nothing in the way except whether you're bold enough to talk to people in other departments that you may not know very well. Be respectful of others and most will be willing to help you out. You can learn a lot this way.

There are a lot of smart people at this company, and contrary to some recent reviews, I'd say the CEO definitely falls in that camp. Although he is eccentric, he has created a lot of value for the company during his tenure. And why wouldn't he? He is a co-founder of the company and has a vested stake in its success.

The benefits are wonderful, and the pay is good enough to get by if you don't have an excessive lifestyle or a lot of kids. It won't make you rich unless you reach the higher levels of the company.

Cons

Remember how I talked about autonomy, and how no one cares what you do? That cuts both ways. If you come here expecting to be rewarded for high performance beyond the nice work-life balance, you're going to get frustrated very quickly. I know multiple people who now phone it in because they weren't recognized for putting in tremendous efforts for the company over long periods of time.

The company likes to hold itself out as a meritocracy, and although some departments are more meritocratic than others, at the company's core it is largely a seniority based system. Many departments don't have objective ways of evaluating employees.

There is a periodic evaluation of every employee of the company under a gimmicky review system, but even those who administer it admit that it is mostly subjective. A lot of it boils down to whether the "movers and shakers" in your department like you or not.

The CEO has done, by pretty much any objective metric, a great job building the company. Keep on doing what you're doing, but keep an eye out for those around you who are not being entirely genuine in their relationships with you.

Best internship I could ask for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Fools treat you like a member of a team, not just an intern. They teach you about all the operations of their business in detail. They invest a great deal in you as part of the company, no matter what level you are at.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I just wish they had more job openings more often.

The greatest company to work for, surrounded by passionate people

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's not a huge coincidence that you're seeing 'people' or 'co-workers' often on the Pros list. The Fool is filled with intelligent, engaged, passionate, and kind people. People actually care about you, which is a nice environment in which to be. It's not hard to turn to someone and ask for help. In fact, collaboration is encouraged and rewarded! What a great segue into the benefits, which are just incredible. From free books to unlimited vacation, it's almost unbelievable, but believe it. An internal rewards system allows us to send 'Gold' to someone for a job well done, and we can redeem this Gold for awesome things. With Learning From Franklin, we can attend talks and interact with some of the greatest minds in America. Health and Wellness is also a huge deal. There are free fitness classes, free healthy foods, massages, an awesome Health and Wellness coordinator, and more! The casual dress code, the open office space, the nerf guns lying around, the Pros list goes on and on. And if you've got new ideas, the People team is there to hear it. Whether it's about your position in the company or what you'd like to see at your desk, everyone just works hard to keep the Fool a great place to work.

Cons

In the office, you absolutely have to be able to adapt and adapt quickly. The company is constantly changing, growing, and sometimes, this is awesome. Other times it means that you have to completely switch gears and start working on a completely new project. If you're uncomfortable with constant changes, you'll definitely find yourself struggling.

Keep it up! I am starting to see the improvements in communication, and it's nice to know that upper management is actually taking our feedback and running with it.

You are your only impediment to growing while at TMF

I have been working at Motley Fool as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

No Vacation Policy -- take a vacation whenever you feel like it is the best for you, and even if you don't, you may find yourself being chosen in a raffle to go on a mandatory vacation anyway.
    The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company.
    Results Only Work Environment -- get your work done, if you still have time free in the "workday" do whatever your heart desires (game room, leave early, work on a side project)
    Unbelievable transparency

Cons

If you're looking for "career advancement" in the traditional sense, this probably isn't the company for you. The structure is flat, and the Fools who work here, as you would expect, tend to stick around for a long time (in a good way). But you will advance yourself as a person and pick up unique skills. But if your "title" is how you define advancement, you won't be satisfied.