Motley Fool

Updated 17 August 2014

4.7

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I'd be crazy to leave this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

I could go on and on, but some of the main highlights are: the people, the laid-back culture, the flexibility (in both job and work schedule), the trust and mutual accountability, and most of all... the ability to truly change the world. The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it. Every day, you don't feel like you're just going to do any normal job with people you don't really like; you feel like you're part of something bigger and your co-workers are some of your best friends.

Cons

If you need to have stability in your job and workplace environment, then TMF may not be for you. The company moves incredibly fast with new initiatives and strategies and people are expected to adjust just as quickly. You could have a few different jobs at TMF within the first couple years of working there. So, if you really thrive off of stability, you may struggle at TMF.

While the pace is fast and teams/roles move around incredibly often, ensure that communication of all changes is timely and clear.

Excellent company to work for, until it wasn't

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

Pros

As a Freelance Writer, I received excellent feedback and support for my articles. Editors were always willing to help and gave great tips to make my work better.

Cons

Multiple editors suggested that I could become a Contract Writer. I was told many times to "keep it up" or "work with your editors" and you'll get there. However, after three years of writing for the company, and thousands of articles published, Motley Fool decided to cut off all Freelancers with no notice whatsoever.

A fantastic learning experience, but directions can change quickly

Current Employee - Contributor
    Current Employee - Contributor

Pros

Total work/life flexibility and good pay. The company allows you to specialize in any industry. Management is supportive and open to new ideas.

Cons

As an offsite contract writer/analyst, I wish there were more team interactions and co-ordination. A sense of belonging is missing sometimes. A lot more could be achieved if this could be done. (Onsite employees may find the situation different. I work on a contract basis.) Advancement is slow.

It would be nice if the core team (in every sector/industry) specialize more in providing investment thesis that include valuations of companies. Please cut down on just delivering artfully written content and flashy headlines. The reader/investor needs more justice. Higher profile sectors (like tech.) should not be given higher weight-age.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great to work

Pros

Great people, great communication, flexibility. (I'm a contractor)

Cons

As a contractor, no benefits but still lots of flexibility.

Keep it up!!

Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

The Motley Fool is known for its company culture which is supported by a great team of people. Events are planned monthly (or sometimes weekly) to bring Fools together and build collaboration and teamwork. While the company is laid back and allows employees flexibility to set their own hours, play games at work, and research and read as much as they want - there is a strong sense of purpose and employees are so dedicated to their projects that they truly play hard but work even harder.

Cons

If I wear a shirt with a collar and buttons people ask if I am going on a job interview.

Keep dreaming big and supporting Fools. You do an awesome job.

Is this place real?

Current Employee - Editor, Fool.com
    Current Employee - Editor, Fool.com

Pros

The people, the culture, the autonomy, and knowing that every day you get to wake up and help individuals all over the world achieve their financial goals make this company second-to-none. Literally. The Motley Fool was voted the best medium sized company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes I drink too much beer at work and have to take a cab home.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great place to work, can be a rollercoaster

Current Employee - Technology  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

People are smart, dedicated and friendly. There is good work/life balance. The company values are strong, and people try hard to live them.

Cons

The company can change directions quickly. People can be left behind when this happens. It's a good place to work but not a good place to build a career.

I'm excited to go to work everyday!

Pros

I love coming to work! My coworkers are driven and I enjoy the fact that there is always something different to do. The perks are great too! Free food fridges with healthy snacks and lots of fun events every month. Unlimited vacation and sick leave is awesome! I've made some great friends working here. There is a huge focus on health, which has pushed me to be better in my personal life.

Cons

With so much going on during the day, sometimes it can be difficult to get things accompished. I often come in early or stay later, but I really don't mind because with no set work hours, I can come and go when I want.

I'd like to see Upper Management participate in more of the events and get to know the newer employees more.

BEYOND My Wildest Dreams

Current Employee - Wellness Director  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Wellness Director in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

Amazing company benefits like free healthy food, subsidized massages and haircuts, high 401K match, and company stock options just to name a few. Talent and drive is super high here at The Fool so being able to work with highly motivated and passionate people is a huge plus!

Cons

Things move fast here at The Fool which can catch some people off guard. Luckily, I enjoy the challenge of a dynamic workplace and the longer I am here at The Fool the more normal it seems!

I don't plan to work anywhere else ... ever.

Current Employee - Associate Advisor  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

I love our purpose to help the world invest better, and I love how dedicated we are to creating a culture that's working together to fulfill that purpose. Plus, I get to follow my passion for investing. How many companies truly create opportunities like that?

Cons

We are growing fast and are going through some growing pains, ones that every founder-led company has to go through as the business get bigger: management systems, team structures, decision-making systems, etc.

Keep doing what you're doing, which is to focus on building our culture and the development of our employees. It is very clear that management loves the company and the Fools that make it up.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!