Motorola Mobility

Not yet rated.

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

1,429 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California"
    in 116 reviews
  • "Very flexible work hours as long as things get done"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions"
    in 95 reviews
  • "Also, the work-life balance can be difficult, because it's a fast-paced industry"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dynamic, challenging, and full of change

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 10 years

Pros* Ability to work on amazing technology
* The period of ownership with Google allowed the business time and resources to reinvent itself. Culture began to change to be more data driven, meritocracy, and open.
* Work results are tangible in the products that are launched
* Incredible work facility at the Merchandise Mart with lots of amenities

Cons* Uncertainty about the future & strategy with the acquisition by Lenovo
* Very demanding work; work-life balance very difficult to have as the industry is hyper-competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't unwind the benefits & changes of culture that Google helped foster

The market shifts rapidly

I worked at Motorola Mobility

ProsSalary was very good at the time.
There were many opportunities to grow.

ConsPrior to the purchase by Google, management missed several massive changes hovering just over the horizon. An example was the shift from conventional to smart phones. At the time, we were all in on conventional phones, price warring with Nokia, when Apple introduced the first viable smart phone. In the year prior to Apple's release you could feel something changing in the market. I hope this lack of vision is now resolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee what is coming.

A fun place to work if you can keep up with the pace/stress

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMotorola was a fun place to work with some great people - I was able to form lifelong friendships. Also, with deep pockets and extensive resources, I was able to work on exciting projects of which I was genuinely proud. Also, I flourished in the fast-paced environment that was always looking forward.

ConsThe only constant at Motorola was change, so there was no use getting used to anything. And while I liked the pace, I gave up a lot of personal time to work - I used to laugh at the idea of vacation time because I never used it. Also, it was a very competitive environment, so while there were some really nice people, there were also some REALLY nasty people who couldn't wait for me to fail - I just had to remind myself that "haters gonna hate!" and it fueled me to be even better at my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of bureaucracy at Motorola - with many layers of management. A simplified structure that collapsed the multiple layers would have been more productive.

The best company I've worked for

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, flexible working hour, employee welfare taken care

ConsVery specialized skill and career growth is limited

It is an exiting company to work, but management in some areas sucks.

Data Warehouse Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you want to be surrounded with people who are making things happen, work on a real product, and you are ambitions, and not afraid of challenges it is a place for you. Also, you'd better be a young, not married, no kids and live in a Chicago Down Town area individual. But be aware....

ConsCompany values are advertised as hard workers are getting recognized. This statement pending the situation with sales and a revenue of course. If SLTs are making wrong decision they are in fact punishing the whole company. These "wrong" decisions are plaguing the company for a very long time now. So, it was a hope in 2012 when Google took over that things would become better. Google guys thought that the major thing that will increase productivity would be to change how people are sitting, Such a joke! :) Open environment with all employees sharing the same space, no walls, no cubes. Noise from one group of coworkers conversations are destructing others. I was in Google offices and saw on my own eyes what the layout of offices they are using. Other companies claim that they want to copy it. Motorola also claims it is a "Google style", but it is not. Google places teams in a areas that are enclosed from other teams. So, it looks like "hives" offices that are shared by team members, but not shared between different teams. Transportation vise: when the move happened from old Libretyville office into the Merchandise Mart in Chicago for 80% of people commute time increased immediately from 15-30 minutes to 1:30-2:00 hours each way. But, the work load has increased. Nobody in a management seems to care that people need to adjust to the new environment. It is also very important that your manager is in a same location (especially upper manager of your manager). If you are not known for the top you are very likely to be the first on a street. People by the end of the year got reviews that are clearly not recognizing their efforts. So, a lot of people are really disappointed and will be leaving the company in case the opportunity will arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more for the people and not just for themselves. Shuttle service is a joke. It takes less time to walk from the train station in a Chicago Down Town then going on a shuttle. Other companies in New York/Sunnyvale - Chase bank or Google for example, have a designated shuttles running from suburbs or major hubs to the offices. That would ease up some hassle of commuting. This is especially important since the 80% of employees are still living compactly near old company location.

Great Company, sadly had great talent but misused it

Senior Engagement Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood teams, good people, knowledgeable and engineering greats. Good compensation and respect for your efforts and contributions

ConsManagement was messed up and never made the right business calls which hurt the delivery

Advice to Senior Managementwhat can we say now that this is all over and closed

Great to Worse !!

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest work culture, High Pay, Good Managers, Very good employee benefits.

ConsHighly Unstable, Higher Management completely not aware in which direction they want to take the company forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely new management needs to come in, to make the work environment stable and value the resources along with getting back to profitability.

System Engineer

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood corporate culture. Decent benefits. Great work/life balance.

ConsEverything changed when bought by Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better benefits.

Google's red-headed stepchild

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe salaries were OK to decent, there were good benefits (albeit ones that got weaker year by year) and the work when you got to actually get on and do it, was fun.

ConsMotorola Mobility was always Google's red-headed stepchild. They always kept it at arms' length and treated the company and its employees as something they were embarrassed by, even as they disremembered it, laying off large chunks, selling off other chunks, and finally dumping the rest. Needless to say morale was not very good - how could it be when your corporate owners didn't like to think you existed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a strategy and be proud of what your people create - don't let a once proud name completely disappear under the new ownership.

I worked less than a year when my previous company was acquired by Motorola Mobility.

Office Coordinator (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, FREE soft drinks and snacks..

ConsToo many managers on top of each other, for expense report you need 4 signatures(managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hurt the little people who works hard, they do npot make the top $$$.

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motorola Mobility reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Motorola Mobility CEO Rick Osterloh. All 1,429 reviews are posted anonymously by Motorola Mobility employees.