Multimedia Games Reviews

3.5
Multimedia Games CEO Patrick J. Ramsey
Patrick J. Ramsey

1. QA

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, discounts on food, plenty of events, low stress compared to other QA jobs. Team oriented friendly.

Cons

Hard to move up. All the executives that made this company successful and a great place to work have been let go by GCA. No option to work from home. Many good people leaving since GCA took over.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture that was successful for us the past 4 years.

I don't have much to say.

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst
    Current Employee - Software QA Analyst

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

QA is a challenging task, and with money on the line it is important to catch everything the first time.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say at this time.

3. Voted one of the best places to work in Austin by its employees for many years in a row ... BUT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a really GREAT place to work!
    - A growing company in the casino industry
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great work/life balance
    - Generous snack subsidy and choices
    - Super casual dress code
    - A lot of training opportunity if you want it
    - Depending on the group, you get to work with a bunch of fun people
    - Does things to show employee appreciation

Cons

- Company just got bought by another casino-related company and has started laying people off
    - New executives changed bonus payout to once a year instead of every quarter depending on goals met
    - Not sure yet if new executives are going to start messing with the great atmosphere here
    - Not a lot of opportunity for career growth. People seem to be able to do career advancement after they leave.

Advice to Management

This has been a REALLY great place to work! Will your employees want to keep rating this company as one of Austin's best places to work? Be careful what you do with this place. I know you spent a lot of money to buy us but that doesn't mean you need to come in and gut this place.

5. Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management team. Seem to have a good game plan.

Cons

Bought out by GCA. Alot of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Communicate with all depts.

6. Was once great. :(

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay
    Office environment, until lately
    Company outings and events, until lately
    Very good work/life balance, until lately
    Company kitchen is very convenient and well stocked

Cons

Oh, where to begin?
    After a bumpy ride for a few years, the company really came into it's own and seemed to be thriving...until it was bought out.
    Morale is at an all time low.
    The work location is still absolutely horrible, and will continue to be via a renewed lease.
    Everyone is looking out for themselves instead of working as a team.
    People are worried about if they'll have a job.
    Good management/VP got let go.
    The technology is ancient.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who make the company successful! Stop selling out!

7. Field Service Technician

Former Employee - Field Tech in Yonkers, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Yonkers, NY (US)

I worked at Multimedia Games

Pros

Company Benefits the 401K was amazing!!

Cons

Not a family life friendly workplace, management was sexiest and very unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding

8. Solid company with plenty of upside potential

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quality work environment with, by a long shot, the best HR department I've ever had the pleasure to work with. The city of Austin itself is amazing and the Austin vibe has not yet be lost in the company. Looks at opportunities seriously and doesn't rush into a trend just because other groups might which keeps the company stable.

Cons

Always seems to be a lot of office politics going on that you aren't ever really fully aware of yet are partially aware of at all times. The traffic on the main highway to the Austin facility is also terrible but the building is nice now that we've expanded and have a bit more room, this isn't so much on Multimedia Games and more on the city of Austin. Seems to prefer Mr. or Mrs. outside hire as opposed to an internal candidate with experience within the company for promotions if you're trying to move departments. Communication from the new ownership is also vague and slower than you feel it should be.

Advice to Management

Our old executive team was amazing, installed a good vision, and was very communicative. Hopefully the new executive team will follow in their footsteps and share in the quality example as opposed to trying to micromanage down on a company that had really begun to make a name for itself.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I took a giant leap leaving my previous job of 7 years to move to Austin but boy am I glad I did. Multimedia Games has opened a door to me that I never knew existed. There are actually thriving companies out there that genuinely care about their employees Working here is truly like working beside family and friends. Sure, everyone has their disagreements from time to time but it is not unusual for a random co-worker to ask you to join them at lunch or play a few rounds of ping pong (table provided by the company) during break to de-stress. The company as a whole has shown more concern for their people than any other place I have worked for. As mentioned before, they provide fun games and activities to help their employees to relax and recharge as well as the many activities planned throughout the year. We are even in the process of forming a wellness group for the employees, by the employees.
    Opportunity for advancement is also very strong within MGAM. If you do the job that is given to you with enthusiasm and precision, it will be noticed and when opportunity that fits your skill set opens up, you will be considered. I have been fortunate enough to be promoted twice within the past two years.
    This environment they have created greatly encourages our teams to be enthusiastic about our work days and to come together as one to tackle any goals in our path. Creativity and candidness are truly embraced here. Compared to where I came from, I can't be anything but thrilled to be working here.

Cons

Our communication and organization could be a bit more improved throughout the company but I think that's the case with most companies. We have already come very far on this topic.

Advice to Management

Keep politics to a minimum and lets hold onto our company culture for as long as possible!

10. Fantastic Workplace is so TRUE!

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MGAM is a great place to work.! After working at some of Austin's tech companies as well as local institutions of Higher Ed as well as multiple state agencies, I can honestly say that MGAM is a fantastic place to work. They have a family first attitude which I love since I have two little ones and occasionally need to take time off for sick kiddos, dr visits, ballet recitals, etc. There is great flexibility depending on your role. Also, the people... I can't say enough about the folks that work here. Smiles all around. MGAM lacks that ladder climbing political feel that a lot of companies have. You feel safe and secure in the environment and you really feel like a contributor. Beautiful office with the added benefit of the Company Kitchen and some really great support personnel, HR, IT, etc!

Cons

The cons are still cons but are getting better. There are some great ideas when it comes to the processes that MGAM uses to create and deploy new products but these still need some serious work. The great thing is... People are open to improving and they WANT to!

Advice to Management

Turn visions into STRATEGIES that can be accomplished with goals to deliver internally. Not always Sales goals! Although I do acknowledge the importance of those goals as well. :-)

Mature and growing company with great people.

Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at every level. Has been steadily growing and expanding into new markets. Does a good job of offering career training and fun company activities. Bonus and stock option plans available.

Cons

Location of HQ is awful for the commute of pretty much everyone coming from any direction. The sale of company to Global Cash Access Holdings adds some uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Share the wealth with those that do the heavy lifting.

Multimedia Games Photos