Multimedia Games

Updated 25 January 2015
3.5

Multimedia Games CEO Patrick J. Ramsey
Patrick J. Ramsey

Solid company with plenty of upside potential

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quality work environment with, by a long shot, the best HR department I've ever had the pleasure to work with. The city of Austin itself is amazing and the Austin vibe has not yet be lost in the company. Looks at opportunities seriously and doesn't rush into a trend just because other groups might which keeps the company stable.

Cons

Always seems to be a lot of office politics going on that you aren't ever really fully aware of yet are partially aware of at all times. The traffic on the main highway to the Austin facility is also terrible but the building is nice now that we've expanded and have a bit more room, this isn't so much on Multimedia Games and more on the city of Austin. Seems to prefer Mr. or Mrs. outside hire as opposed to an internal candidate with experience within the company for promotions if you're trying to move departments. Communication from the new ownership is also vague and slower than you feel it should be.

Our old executive team was amazing, installed a good vision, and was very communicative. Hopefully the new executive team will follow in their footsteps and share in the quality example as opposed to trying to micromanage down on a company that had really begun to make a name for itself.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I took a giant leap leaving my previous job of 7 years to move to Austin but boy am I glad I did. Multimedia Games has opened a door to me that I never knew existed. There are actually thriving companies out there that genuinely care about their employees Working here is truly like working beside family and friends. Sure, everyone has their disagreements from time to time but it is not unusual for a random co-worker to ask you to join them at lunch or play a few rounds of ping pong (table provided by the company) during break to de-stress. The company as a whole has shown more concern for their people than any other place I have worked for. As mentioned before, they provide fun games and activities to help their employees to relax and recharge as well as the many activities planned throughout the year. We are even in the process of forming a wellness group for the employees, by the employees.
    Opportunity for advancement is also very strong within MGAM. If you do the job that is given to you with enthusiasm and precision, it will be noticed and when opportunity that fits your skill set opens up, you will be considered. I have been fortunate enough to be promoted twice within the past two years.
    This environment they have created greatly encourages our teams to be enthusiastic about our work days and to come together as one to tackle any goals in our path. Creativity and candidness are truly embraced here. Compared to where I came from, I can't be anything but thrilled to be working here.

Cons

Our communication and organization could be a bit more improved throughout the company but I think that's the case with most companies. We have already come very far on this topic.

Keep politics to a minimum and lets hold onto our company culture for as long as possible!

Fantastic Workplace is so TRUE!

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MGAM is a great place to work.! After working at some of Austin's tech companies as well as local institutions of Higher Ed as well as multiple state agencies, I can honestly say that MGAM is a fantastic place to work. They have a family first attitude which I love since I have two little ones and occasionally need to take time off for sick kiddos, dr visits, ballet recitals, etc. There is great flexibility depending on your role. Also, the people... I can't say enough about the folks that work here. Smiles all around. MGAM lacks that ladder climbing political feel that a lot of companies have. You feel safe and secure in the environment and you really feel like a contributor. Beautiful office with the added benefit of the Company Kitchen and some really great support personnel, HR, IT, etc!

Cons

The cons are still cons but are getting better. There are some great ideas when it comes to the processes that MGAM uses to create and deploy new products but these still need some serious work. The great thing is... People are open to improving and they WANT to!

Turn visions into STRATEGIES that can be accomplished with goals to deliver internally. Not always Sales goals! Although I do acknowledge the importance of those goals as well. :-)

Mature and growing company with great people.

Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at every level. Has been steadily growing and expanding into new markets. Does a good job of offering career training and fun company activities. Bonus and stock option plans available.

Cons

Location of HQ is awful for the commute of pretty much everyone coming from any direction. The sale of company to Global Cash Access Holdings adds some uncertainty.

Stay the course. Share the wealth with those that do the heavy lifting.

Take a ride in the way-back machine!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* If you want a job where you can sit back and be lazy, this is the place for you.
    * They tend to be very loyal, often hiring back former employees who quit or get fired. Though, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Cons

Middle and upper management spend more time trying to stab each other in the back than get actual products out the door.

* Antiquated technology
    * Antiquated thinking
    * Not a technology company.

Realize that you're a technology company, and understand what that means.

Hired people fired by other companies?

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

Professional work environment, lots of good hardware for the word needing to be done, good benefits and bonus

Cons

I really respected this place and all they offered to someone like me that wanted to stay in Austin and not go elsewhere for work. I was really happy until they hired on at least 2 people fired by a another company for drug use. These people were high at work, bragged about it according to the people from that company they were let go from, and by hiring them it has caused many very qualified people who might otherwise have wanted to come to Multimedia not want to apply or work here. I didn't know these guys before they showed, but their placement in spite of their past has cost our reputation.

It's an awesome company that allow artists to do what they love to do while treating them really well

Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (less than a year)

Pros

high salary, great benefits, great training and management, not to mention the working hours are great and I still have a life as an artist.

Cons

I don't see anything bad with the company so far.

I've seen a lot of personal growth as I work here in the company.

Good experience

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

People at this company are really fun to work with

Cons

Not a lot of growth as far as moving up

You can work in a good silo, or in a very bad silo. Either way it's a silo...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

Strong company with a decent client base will likely be around for a while.

Cons

1) Location location location. The location is horrible.
    1a) Depending on what department you work for: inflexible work hours. Mandatory core hours force employees to drive on 360 during peak hours resulting in insane commute times.
    2) Depending on what department you work for: management can be awful. Departments run on fear. Backstabbing. Active undermining. Seriously hostile work environment type stuff.
    3) Depending on what department you work for: absolutely NO career path. In fact, when members of the team wanted to pursue alternate career paths, they were actively prohibited from doing so.

Take a long hard look at your middle management structure and decide if it is really worth continuing to pay those people to chase away top talent.

If you are looking for stable employment and a paycheck, this is a solid place to work. If you want a career, look elsewhere.

Multimedia Games Photos