Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

Add Photos

Edward Stevenson

Opportunities

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel

ProsGreat Benefits, lots of opportunities to learn

ConsVery strict rules, more than I was used to coming in. A lot of non-traditional work hours needed to put in above and beyond your regular hours. Management lacks a sense of planning, always constantly feeling reactive rather than proactive.Management openly shows they have favorites. Many departments seem to have a lot of wasteful positions with little to do expect to play candy crush on their iphones.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more neutral with employees, it makes morale go down when it seems like they go to the same favorites under them. Sometimes one questions what is really going on.

No complaints

Business Intelligence Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent salary and benefits. I worked back in the business office and not on the floor, but Mystic Lake seems to take care of it's employees at all levels.

ConsA bit short on the PTO. There is a weird vibe with working at a casino.

Great co-workers at the Slot Department. Abusive co-worker at the Blackjack office but management allows her.

Human Resources Staff (Current Employee)
Prior Lake, MN (US)

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost co-workers are supportive. We are in the same boat. Good place to work if you want to end gambling addiction and don't want to go far to gamble. Good career advancement if you have other skills and education.

ConsThey declare their own holiday. Special events is a holiday - you need to be there or you will get a ticket out next time. Real holidays are not paid holiday pays and you need to work if it is not your day off!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe white managers and some white co-workers are the worst ones; the American Indian co-workers and managers are the BEST ones. The tribe should instill courtesy and respect like the American Indians do, and not let the white managers allow abuses from employees of other races. After all, it is an American Indian employer. The tribe should look at all the terminations the white managers approved of. If they do, they will see that employees are being terminated because of they spoke of abuses of white co-workers (like a white employee that takes numerous and long smoke breaks! and verbally abuse co-workers!). I saw that some American Indian employees were treated badly by white co-workers and if you side with the American Indian employee, you will get fired! Someone got fired for being a friend of the American Indian employee. The white supervisor, white manager, and white employee all conspired to get rid of her so that she could not say or do anything about their abuses. That is how bad it is because everyone in the department knows how abusive the white employee is, yet no one in the management side would want to do anything about her abuses. The good worker American Indian and people who support this person is the one that is being "picked on" - and fired!

Managers make up their own rules!!!!

Low Class Minion (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are no Pros to this place unless you are a favorite little minion or you're native. If you are great at the arts known as ass kissing, brown nosing, backstabbing, and being as fake as possible you will thrive and go far in this company regardless of your guest service, or years of hard work and dedication to this company.

ConsParking in employee lot is horrible, and they cut shuttle service so if you are running late, you have to run a mile+ just to get into the building. All managers have HUGE EGOS, love to make up their own rules, abuse employees, talk bad about employees, and the list could go on forever. If you are native you can pretty much do whatever you want, your White managers are afraid of you :) take advantage of it!!! Most of them are people that have NO education and came in from the ground up. NO holiday pay and since when is the Chinese New Year a holiday in America? I've worked for 2 different departments and each has it's own rules on company policy and one even told me they hold high standards and follow the policy of the company to the written word, but yet do not base shifts or hours on seniority but rather by performance. So 7 years with a company has no baring when it comes to a new employee being hired and getting better hours and days off. To wrap this up because I could go on and write a book about it, Management in a nutshell SUCKS and the words condescending hypocrites are the first 2 that come to mind. Some departments have many supervisors and managers and you will find that even though it is not written in any company policy had book, that you will be required to remember each one of their different set up policies and procedures that they make up to suit their own needs. Basically they are all idiots who got lucky and know how to kiss ass extremely well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend all your managers to "lets all get on the same page and treat people that work hard with respect" school

Starts off fun, but gets old fast

Server (Current Employee)
Prior Lake, MN (US)

I have been working at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits and employee opportunities. Meet tons of fascinating people and a lot of employees and super nice and fun. Clean building.

ConsStressful. No holidays off or holiday pay bonuses, guests can be difficult or unreasonable. Managers (Minnehaha Cafe) are unprofessional and power hungry. Employees pay full price for restaurant food because we have our own employee restaurant, but food sucks at 3 in the morning. Community members are allowed to disrespect and treat you poorly. Christmas bonus is a $40 gift card (which is great, but given that the change found on the casino floor daily is more than a person's entire paycheck.) If you work in a restaurant and someone walks out without paying, security will most likely not find them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect instead of condescending them. We're human beings and deserve that much.

Exciting and energetic atmosphere. Lots of great benefits and a very diverse team of employees at Mystic Lake.

Slot Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and great benefits. You will meet lots of great people as they have a large workforce in the service industry.

ConsWork weekends and nights and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on team building. Felt that coworkers used to be closer but drifted apart apart during my tenure of almost 10 years.

One of a kind experience

Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeam members are wonderful to get to know and the benefits are wonderful

ConsSwing and Grave hours are tough but working in the Gaming industry you first start out with the odd hours until you are able to switch the hours you would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say something, follow through on what you say and do not just apply it to certain team members, apply it to everyone.

Stuck In High School

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of PTO, but that's about it.

ConsDifficult to get days off, no holiday pay, the other employees are horrendous (yes, 99% of the 4,000 employees!), employee food costs have tripled, and both management and community members treat employees like dirt.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo, advice to the board of directors - wipe out all management from CEO down to middle management. FYI, you should probably also hire VP's who have a degree.

ok

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time

Prosa place to work and bathrooms are clean

Consnot always aware of what is going on

Very large company with good benefits if you are full time, but CRAZY hours and Rules.

I worked at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel full-time for more than a year

ProsGood health & dental benefits
Business is open 24 hours, so people with a need to work non-traditional hours to accommodate their lives have many opportunities.
Since there are so many different jobs, it is relatively easy to switch jobs within the company.

ConsThey are a sovereign nation, and therefore not required to take certain state laws into consideration.
You are reminded daily how easily they can replace you.
Starting pay is relatively good, but raises are literally less than a 25¢ an hour PER YEAR

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time time kissing Native butt, spend more time giving a little care towards the employees that bust their butt & work crazy hours to make you look like a successful manager.

Worked for Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel CEO Edward Stevenson. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by Mystic Lake Casino and Hotel employees.