NASDAQ OMX Group

NASDAQ OMX Group Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

NASDAQ OMX Group Chief Executive Officer Bob Greifeld

Bob Greifeld

Pros:
  • "Good benefits including 6% 401(k) match, but no public transportation stipend"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Brand recognition, intense work environment, never a dull moment"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Everything has to be done now, at the whim of senior management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Misstep after misstep from product roll-outs to Facebook IPO, to exchange outage in August '13"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Do you like chaos?

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is fair. If you like being paid the same salary forever.

ConsNo structure. No strategy. Completely reactive. Political. Backstabbing. Nepotism (a whole LOT of nepotism). No investment in brand. No money to spend on anything. No career advancement. I myself have literally not had a manager for 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness is more than the stock price. Invest in people and quality products and your numbers will match, eventually.

Fast-paced exciting work with Global Brand, CEO drives everything though

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced, sharp colleagues. Mission-critical work and visibility in the industry. Worldwide leader and great strategic charter from CEO.

ConsPolitics, fear of CEO from most managers. IT group did not face suitable and justified accountability after the Facebook fiasco.

Advice to Senior ManagementExamine if the sr managers you hire can take a very top-down organization. If not, don't hire them, because this is one company the CEO runs the show and his word/fingerprints are on everything.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group

ProsAbility to make a lot of money.

ConsLots of turnover in the employee base as well as constant change.

Pretty Cool

Product Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than a year

ProsOur team is really making a difference.

ConsSometimes there's weird office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many people is one office. Get more space!

Opportunities within the framework of defendable decisions

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to contribute to interesting projects.

Peers, teams & coworkers that range from average to excellent in skill & personality.

Compensation
- Consists of a base salary with a 5,10,15,20,40% yearly bonus depending on one's position (e.g. associate, professional, senior, director, vp, etc)
- ESPP is available in 6 month intervals at a 15% discount
- Healthcare kicks in immediately rather than after some period (90 day)
- RSUs are granted yearly and vest after 4 years.
- 4% 401k match w/ Vanguard

ConsAs with any large organization, it suffers similar challenges.

- Plenty of turnover and organizational restructuring. Each year titles are renamed, groups are volleyed back and forth between senior managers in the name of "growth" "efficiency" "synergy"

This leads to an unfortunate loss of direction each time a reorganization/management shift occurs in the technology organization. Despite these shifts, the groups and the organizational process/workflow/structure have remained relatively unchanged. The same groups talk to each other to get the same work accomplished. Rather than the Greens talking to the Yellows, it simply shifts to the Oranges talking to the Browns in title only.

It is very similar to the observation that mergers fail due to organizational processes not meshing together.

- A technology company severely incapacitated by the recent corporate culture of defendable decisions since the technology issues of the largest IPO. e.g. "No one ever got fired for hiring IBM."

This has mainly led to the culture comprised of skilled, agile teams, capable of building solutions, to incapable teams that have lost their top talent to turnover. The policies put forth make for a severely demoralizing & demotivating a workforce that's otherwise tremendously capable.

This makes for a fairly oppressive work environment and a structure that engenders mistrust. A small bit of sanity comes from the small alliances that are forged amongst the Romeos & Juliets of groups at odds with each other.

- Senior management is severely disconnected from the ground floor workers as they are incapable of dog-fooding the products & policies they put forth. As many know, an idea does not sell itself, but the hard work and attention to detail make the difference. By pushing policies in the name of leaving a legacy, resume bullet point, or being a yes-man, relationships & respect are broken.

- ADHD inducing distractions. Being an open setup, there's a tremendous lack of ability to focus on a task at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementBob G asks at group lunches, "What can we do to improve our company?"
When most of the employees are speechless, it's not that there aren't any improvements to make, it's that they are paralyzed from speaking as they don't know where to begin.

- Our salaries reflect that we are a knowledge workforce rather than a labor workforce. The most important competitive advantage of a knowledge workforce is the cultivation and management of that knowledge & critical thinking base. Top talented engineers make great team leads, however are very unlikely to be good managers.

- Stop reorganizing the company. History has shown that war has not been a struggle over territory as much as the battle for a shift in power. As different heads continue to battle for territory, it's a reflection of individuals shifting their priorities from EXCELLENCE to SELF-PRESERVATION. As management's focus shifts to self-preservation, competitive edge is lost as top talent decides that their sanity is more important than the compensation package.

- Focus on building & forging employee relationships rather than relying on top-down edicts of how employees should work. Build a collaborative environment where minds can mesh. Google about the design of the Bell Labs Hallway.

When it comes to fixing problems, there are 2 types of consultants. Ones that are looking to bill you for putting on a show, and ones that understand that the individuals best suited to fixing an organization are the individuals within it. The latter consultant merely facilitates the process of finding the individuals capable of a finding a fix and facilitating that fix.

- Invest in infrastructure and building environments capable of being tested during work hours rather than during the weekends. A burned out employee is incapable of contributing to the knowledge base of the organization as a whole.

Does it get any worse?

Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than a year

ProsMy colleagues were great to work with.

ConsUnfortunately NASDAQ was the worst company I have ever worked for. It starts at the top and ends with the local sales management (specifically in Chicago). They say you're only as strong as your weakest link and it's quite imperative that the sales managers are destroying what could be a great place to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you're NASDAQ doesn't mean your solutions are ready for the market place. If you want to be competitive, invest in product development and the appropriate resources to support those products. Also, it's 2013 and scare tactics to your employees don't work in this day and age. It only isolates you and make people not want to work for your organization.

Challenges facing the stock market

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

ProsGood benefits, laid back work environment

ConsCurrent management is not equipped to handle the challenges facing the market and technology group

Advice to Senior ManagementStep aside and let the younger folks start running the company

Good co-workers bad managers

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood co-workers who will help you in a pinch.

ConsMost managers clueless and should not have their jobs, just look at what happened with the Facebook IPO. Most of what you learn is by yourself or from a co-worker. No help from Management. Low pay, long hours and micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to rank and file employees

Their idea of motivation is to use scare tactics

Client Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent salary, easy commute, opportunity to experience different roles

ConsScare tactics used by management, not a lot of motivation or training provided, seen many people fired on the spot even after reaching their targets, acquire companies, but dont know how to integrate them successfully

It was a pleasure to work for NASDAQ OMX, my time there was well utilized

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time for more than a year

Prosthe office atmosphere was very comfortable, the co-workers were great, work was always flowing, no stress

Consbudget cuts came and hit all departments, so unfortunately that was the only downside because i was one of the cuts

Advice to Senior Managementtake me back is all i can say, i was very happy there

Worked for NASDAQ OMX Group? Contribute to the Community!

NASDAQ OMX Group Videos

NASDAQ OMX Group – Why Work for Us?

Watch a Short Video about our Company A Global Market Leader The NASDAQ OMX Group owns and operates 26 markets, 3 clearing houses, and 5 central securities depositories, spanning six continents--making us the world’s… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NASDAQ OMX Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NASDAQ OMX Group CEO Bob Greifeld. All 65 reviews are posted anonymously by NASDAQ OMX Group employees.