NCH

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Irvin L. Levy

Pretty good for an older, family owned corporation

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at NCH full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work/life balance, talented coworkers, on site gym and cafe, upper management seems to listen, many people have worked here 10, 20 or 30+ years. Good insurance benefits. Generous incentives and bonuses - they do reward hard working, smart people here. I enjoy my job at NCH.

ConsThe IT department could be a little better - I'm still running Excel 2003 on my computer. Some people do have Excel 2010, so I guess we are all being slowly upgraded. There are multiple systems to learn, and no real training on how to use them when you are first hired. You will need to teach yourself a lot. Some of the furnishings and equipment (like phones) are probably 20 years old, but it's a minor issue.

So bad I'm afraid I will be recognized for writing this

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NCH full-time

ProsThey only fire people some times and only if they're unpopular enough with the right clique, so if you can stomach the place you can stay forever.

ConsSo bad that I'm actually afraid to write anything here. All I will say is I worked there for many years longer than I should have. This place is so hostile you will need therapy to get through your days until you can land another job, particularly if your skin is the wrong color or you are different in ANY way.

Advice to Senior ManagementSooner or later you'll just be left with people who really can't work anywhere else.

Very interesting.....

I have been working at NCH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll about top line growth. Good people at lower ranks. Sr. leadership is disconnected. Say they want change, but don't want to rock boat...

ConsVery political, hostile, dysfunctional environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your good people, don't believe everything you hear from executives.... The culture is crumbling around you....

Overall it was good up until the point of my position being suddenly eliminated on a Tuesday

Network Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at NCH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany divisions of different products with varying IT needs and requirements helped to provide exposure to a broad range of technology. Company upgraded entire infrastructure during my employment which allowed a good look at how things get done at all levels in that dept.

ConsUnless you are willing to relocate to TX in the United States, upper level IT jobs are not there as all North American support is generally done out of HQ in Irving.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you acquire a company with competent personnel, macromanagement can be just as bad as micromanagement. An effort should be made to bring those people on as part of the team if they are kept through the acquisition process.

A small chemical company with narrow minded leadership.

IT Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCH full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company is persistent. Old fashioned. Located next to Las Colinas. Steady work. Thrifty enough to rarely need to layoff.

ConsCheap, Top Heavy in Management, Abuse of employees goes overlooked by HR, infrastructure is pitiful. Raises and salaries remain stagnant. Development of staff is non existence. Zero training on how to be Good Managers. People promoted through attrition rather than skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the staff by embracing them as the company family. Develop and promote staff. be good stewards of the companies funds.

Great Company but Low Pay for Non-Managers

Telephone Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, great benefits, employee oriented company.

ConsLimited growth opportunities. Below average pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for qualified employees within the current ranks to fill needs. Many employees have much more experience and talent than the company realizes. Employees are pigeonholed into one division and unable to display all of their attributes.

Company that does not reward hard working employees

I have been working at NCH

ProsCompany is well diversified and is profitable

ConsOld company with old style management values

Advice to Senior ManagementFinancial Leaders do not properly recognize hard working employees

Its a job

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional atmospher
Time off is fair and flexable
Management style

ConsLow salary
No room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementEqually distribute accounts among tenure and new reps

Highly Micromanaged

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at NCH

ProsSales training program in St Louis did a good job of teaching someone how to deal with any conceivable objection.

ConsChemsearch had me prospecting over 90% of time. Their sales training program wanted us to utilize a whole host of "novelties" (GIVEAWAY GIFTS) during our initial warmup before sales pitch. As an example, secretary/"gatekeepers' would be given hand lotion, most male prospects would be given a pliers plus multitool or fishing filet knife during warmup.
My boss wanted me to make "70 dials" every Monday to get appointments with buyers! He would call me different times to know how many 'dials I had made thus far along with how appointments I had made. Then he would ride with me every week in field and break down every sales call to what I did right and wrong. Ultimately, I could not take the boss constantly calling me at home along with micromanaging sales calls so I happily RESIGNED ! Ironically enough, the day I resigned, I recieved a company memo showing, I was top dog for number of new accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I am getting the new accounts for your company.....then leave me alone !!! Let me adopt my own sales approach which worked ! If your own trainers boast in class that 60-70% of new hires in class wont be here one year from now, then you have a problem !!! I wrote this review after seeing Chemsearch running employment ads again for each of 2 major cities in my state.

Great most of the time.

I have been working at NCH

ProsNCH as a company is great! The people are some of the best I have worked with.

ConsManagement does not know what they are doing. They will lie on your review if they do not like you.
They believe in deliverables only, they do not care about quality. It was not always this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect. Be honorable, if you do not like them, do not lie on them. Quality code is important, because that is less support you will have to do. Do not worry about checking off your list only.

Worked for NCH? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCH reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NCH CEO Irvin L. Levy. All 24 reviews are posted anonymously by NCH employees.