NCR

NCR Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti

Bill Nuti

Pros:
  • "The best part about the company is the work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great option for female employers as there are work from home options"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management encourages to take more leaves for work life balance this is good"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Upper management finds ways to take away money from employees"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very exciting times in a growing Technology company!

Finance (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHuge career opportunities both locally and globally. Visionary leadership successfully reinventing the strategic direction ensuring NCR continues to grow and develop new products and markets.
Strong commitment to ethics and highest integrity standards.

ConsAs with any large successful company, changing the culture takes time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to follow the strategic plan, its working!. If the insourcing, software expansion and acquisition growth strategies had not been followed, dread to think where NCR would be.

Like any family a bit of love, a bit of hate!

Solution Manager (Current Employee)
Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInnovative, global, customer focused. Most teams striving to do amazing things and generally those below the executive level really support each other and pull together. Within the R&D side of things Quality, new technology and improvement are regular themes. Flexible work day start and finish.

ConsThe expectation that you are permanently on call and available is not great if you want a life beyond NCR. Not unusual to be on calls at 10pm. Or be given a task Friday night required for Monday morning. 13hr economy flights to visit customers ( NCR doesn't fly it's staff business). Some visionary executives. Some seem out for themselves. Some just odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is an amazing company with amazing potential but don't forget your people make this a success.
Treat others as you treat yourself. If stopping bonus payments should you be taking your options? If you are flying 1st class why are your engineers flying econ?

NCR's lost it's heart

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are what makes NCR, especially the Dundee workforce - they are very focused on the customer and are determined to deliver better products than the competition. Good fun to work with too - social events, good culture

ConsNCR is now more than ever an American corporation - all corporate functions in the US, big change programs led by people who have no industry or nonUS experience.

HR policies are all box tickers - don't actually make any positive difference to employees or managers. No incentive - no bonus yet again this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the SW strategy in all infrastructure areas of the business, not just R&D and acquisitions. Get out there - employees used to know their management team - you're all invisible.

Worst Job I've ever had - but it's a job

Customer Engineer (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's a job when there aren't many to be had

ConsNo progression, targets changed on a daily basis, "policies" changed on a daily basis, always quick to put people down and never ever pass on anything positive, lower management ignore their employees and upper management don't want to know what's happening at ground level - It is ALL about the figures. Employees graded on figures that have no control over.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees at ground level.
Make a policy and stick by it.
Employees don't like working > 100% when managers are sitting at a desk with nothing better to do than spy on them with new tracking gadgets.
give positive feedback from time to time.
Allow a clear path of query for employees when their immediate manager ignores them.

Soul destroying place to work in. No room to develop at all

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee)
Motherwell, Scotland

I worked at NCR full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt was a job of sorts. But managers blame you when their ideas fail.

ConsPoor management, targets constantly changing daily, no acknowledgment for the work you ever did. No bonus, poor salary. Too much finger pointing. Not a team. Lack of true customer service to customers. Take on too much work and then can not service that customer. Use youngster's on " Apprenticeships" as cheap labour and then ditch us all and move it to Serbia. No loyalty at all, to anyone. Customers or staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you lack the skills to be a professional manager ,develop them. Grow a set of balls. Treat staff fairly and don't give the best jobs to your buddies. Stop lying and being devious.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great experience of working for this Company

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat brand, strong leadership, diverse and talented workforce, global footprint. There is a lot of goodwill from employees in this company.

ConsYou need to work extremely hard 24/7. A lot of finger pointing. Too many emails. No enough IT investments.....still viewed as a manufactiurer of IT equipment rather than a hardware enabled, software driven company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out in the field more. We want global leaders!

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCR full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExperience with new technologies. Working with a globally-recognized brand.

ConsNeeds to be more lightweight and agile.

No career development

I have been working at NCR full-time

ProsGood R&D, Sales oriented organisation, fair compensation.

Cons80s/90s mentally. Slow changing pace. Mainly Hardware driven. Limited SW experience in the company. Training is non-existent. No personal development program.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some fresh and young blood, need to become more international too. The Senior Management has the right vision but unfortunately it is not followed by the rest of the local team.

Software? I assume you meant Hardware, right ?

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at NCR full-time

ProsFinancial Services legacy and Hardware run rate business, people are ready to work under tremendous pressure to keep their job.

ConsIt seems the company has not changed for the last 10 years and are still selling the same solutions. Lean process is non-existent at NCR as well as no continuous improvement projects. No long-term vision but more Quarter per Quarter attitude. Siloed company with people protecting their own empires. Not an “International” company as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf NCR is really willing to grow the SW/SaaS, substantial investment need to happen in solution development, marketing and Software Sales People.

Fantastic for graduate experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NCR as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly staff are always willing to help and give a hand when facing problems, good facilities such as cafeteria and a welcoming atmosphere. Management show a keen interest in the work and are very approachable.

ConsMinimum wage for interns - no guidance on career opportunities within the company.

Worked for NCR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCR reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NCR CEO Bill Nuti. All 742 reviews are posted anonymously by NCR employees.