NIKE

NIKE Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Jul 24, 2014

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker

Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 57 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have a family it can be difficult to manage work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights
30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great work experience

Cashier (Former Employee) Paramus, NJ (US)

Prosgreat discount, great company to work for, just like being part of a team

Consschedule can get to be pretty demanding

Eventful and eye opening experience.

Product Flow Athlete (Current Employee) Woodbury, NY (US)

ProsProducts and discount are a plus

ConsFlawed promotion set up, don't hold your breath

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate

Learned a lot!

PT Athlete (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt was a great a place to work, I learned a lot about sneakers and work out gears. It was fun when it was not overly crowded. Management would work with your schedule which is great if you are in school or have another job.

ConsCustomers would be very impatient especially when each athlete had to juggle between 5-8 customers per person. Hours were crappy at times and the ability to move up in the company is a nightmare.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Converse segment not operated with the same level of excellence as Nike

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNike Inc is a great company to work for sports apparel retail & fashion, but Converse doesn't get as many resources.

ConsRoom for growth for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementShare positive and constructive feedback to employees

Excellent.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tinton Falls, NJ (US)

ProsAmazing company. Care for their employees. Great training. Focused on work-life balance.

ConsMassive company, so you can get lost in the shuffle.

Pacer

Pacer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosfree stuff but good run club

Consbad management and too many people to manage

Advice to Senior Managementget better people skills

Niketown Athlete - Best Retail Job!

Athlete (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsBy far the best retail job I've ever had. I've worked for companies like Abercrombie and Marshalls before, but Nike has been the best one by far.

Nike really considers its employees. Once you're hired, current employers teach you a class for 3 days straight on product knowledge. It also includes fun actives so you know what you're doing before you get to the floor.

I actually miss going to work the days that I'm off.

- Great Discounts
    - Best Working Environment
    - If You Love Sports This Is The Place For You
    - Growth Opportunity
    - Great Managers
    - Flexible
    - Cool initiatives on new products, such as new cleats, shoes or apparel.
    - Clubs: such as Nike Running Club and Training Club that employees and consumers can be a part of.
    - Great compensation

ConsThe only downside to being an Athlete at Nike is competitiveness. It's hard to get the job, with thorough interview steps, such as phone interview and panel interview. However, its all worth it once you part of the swoosh.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. There's nothing better than representing Nike everyday at work.

Niketown NY is ok

Shipping and Receiving Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsStarting pay is good
    Pays for you to got to school if you are full-time and it fits into the list of curriculum they accept
    Each floor dedicated to different individuals
    New positions come up fairly often

ConsWorking Shipping and Receiving since October 2013 if you are Part time under( less than 20 hours mostly) according to corporate can only schedule us 4 hours a week
    Abuse of power in terms of hiring and personal hook ups although you are asked to have people you know apply
    No grace period anymore
    Store can feel divided from S&R to sales floor as opposed to a whole team

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is more for upper management overseeing the company: Find a more effective way to delegate the budget so that there are not employees literally struggling and calling in constantly because you can only give 4 hours a week.

Great

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat products, shoes are comfortable

ConsHuman rights policy in Asia

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Communication

Best Coworkers I've ever Had, =Nike Family

Stock Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNike has been one of the best retail jobs I've ever had. I've been fortunate to have been employed here for the last 4 years working in 2 types of stores; flagship and brand experience. Nike offers competitive pay, tuition reimbursement for Full time employees pursuing a degree related to Nike Business ex: Business, Marketing, Design etc. Excellent coworkers, Excellent discount, Uniform provided up to 3x a year.

ConsThere is a bit too much of trial and error, sometimes the management lacks consistency. If you're not overly enthusiastic its sometimes viewed as negative. They expect a lot of the employees to mirror in personality even if its not an employee's temperament. For example someone who is viewed as having a "better" personality will get a promotion over someone who works hard. In addition hours are sometimes scarce if you're not part time over, or full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the application process needs to be modified, especially for internal candidates. There are some individuals who are modest when selling themselves, however their worth ethic demonstrates something more substantial than anything they could put into words about themselves.

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!