NIKE

Updated Mar 09, 2014

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker

Mark G. Parker

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Niketown Athlete - Best Retail Job!

Athlete (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at NIKE part-time

ProsBy far the best retail job I've ever had. I've worked for companies like Abercrombie and Marshalls before, but Nike has been the best one by far.

Nike really considers its employees. Once you're hired, current employers teach you a class for 3 days straight on product knowledge. It also includes fun actives so you know what you're doing before you get to the floor.

I actually miss going to work the days that I'm off.

- Great Discounts
- Best Working Environment
- If You Love Sports This Is The Place For You
- Growth Opportunity
- Great Managers
- Flexible
- Cool initiatives on new products, such as new cleats, shoes or apparel.
- Clubs: such as Nike Running Club and Training Club that employees and consumers can be a part of.
- Great compensation

ConsThe only downside to being an Athlete at Nike is competitiveness. It's hard to get the job, with thorough interview steps, such as phone interview and panel interview. However, its all worth it once you part of the swoosh.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. There's nothing better than representing Nike everyday at work.

Best Coworkers I've ever Had, =Nike Family

Stock Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNike has been one of the best retail jobs I've ever had. I've been fortunate to have been employed here for the last 4 years working in 2 types of stores; flagship and brand experience. Nike offers competitive pay, tuition reimbursement for Full time employees pursuing a degree related to Nike Business ex: Business, Marketing, Design etc. Excellent coworkers, Excellent discount, Uniform provided up to 3x a year.

ConsThere is a bit too much of trial and error, sometimes the management lacks consistency. If you're not overly enthusiastic its sometimes viewed as negative. They expect a lot of the employees to mirror in personality even if its not an employee's temperament. For example someone who is viewed as having a "better" personality will get a promotion over someone who works hard. In addition hours are sometimes scarce if you're not part time over, or full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the application process needs to be modified, especially for internal candidates. There are some individuals who are modest when selling themselves, however their worth ethic demonstrates something more substantial than anything they could put into words about themselves.

Great job but bad corporate politics

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than a year

ProsNice discount at 30% as a sales associate.

Flexible hours

Nice managers who give alot of chances for tardiness

Easy work

Tax-deducted or almost free clothing and shoes every quarter

Alot of young adults

Motivational attitude.

ConsAthletes get most of the grunt work

During high volume and traffic managers lock down in the office and basically do nothing

During low volume and traffic managers lock down in the office and basically do nothing

Managers who don't know how to efficiently operate and require assistance from other athletes to do their job (btw, those athletes still have their own relative tasks to perform as well.)

Not alot of incentive to move up in the company

No commission or recognition for hard work

No incentive besides an extra $5 on a bonus check to work for loss prevention in finding missing items

Sketchy corporate history with continuing human rights violations that the company persists in denying

Preferential treatment in giving hours away to some athletes

Hour scheduling is rigged. Some managers take away from the salary pool by cutting hours for other managers and athletes and take that money for themselves.

Hour scheduling can be notoriously off forcing associates to document every time they punch in or punch out. Disparity in paycheck amount can be up to as much as 75% of the time worked for that 2 week paycheck window.

In reference to the last statement above, the scheduling manager has nothing else to do besides just this. Very disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is basically a popularity contest. You cant move up if you have a good idea or a way to change things to even make the company more money. Unless its cutthroat and abusive like most corporate policies, there really is nothing you can change.

Niketown NY is ok

Shipping and Receiving Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than 3 years

ProsStarting pay is good
Pays for you to got to school if you are full-time and it fits into the list of curriculum they accept
Each floor dedicated to different individuals
New positions come up fairly often

ConsWorking Shipping and Receiving since October 2013 if you are Part time under( less than 20 hours mostly) according to corporate can only schedule us 4 hours a week
Abuse of power in terms of hiring and personal hook ups although you are asked to have people you know apply
No grace period anymore
Store can feel divided from S&R to sales floor as opposed to a whole team

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is more for upper management overseeing the company: Find a more effective way to delegate the budget so that there are not employees literally struggling and calling in constantly because you can only give 4 hours a week.

Great

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NIKE part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat products, shoes are comfortable

ConsHuman rights policy in Asia

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Communication

its a fun job

Athlete (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiscount , people, nike,nike, nike

Consslow business during jan-march, ppl . managers are rude sometime , 48 hour wait on sneakers, no discounts on some shoes

Overall really easy working environment

Niketown Athlete (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat employee discount and really easy to shine if you're a hard worker.

ConsPoor work ethic amongst colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in helping associates grow as professionals (even if this is a retail position). People work harder when they're working towards something.

athlete

Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than a year

Prosawesome staff, enforce teamwork, huddles

Consearly trucks, lazy workers, sometimes lack of hours

Nike Running Flatiron Season Athlete

Seasonal Athlete (Former Employee)

I worked at NIKE part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat managers (coaches) and athletes (sales associates) -- very friendly, welcoming, and supportive. Employees are diverse and have personality. They are passionate about the brand and company. Lots of fun off hours activities. Athletes are provided phenomenal education about the brand/product. Strong running culture.

ConsNon-athletes or non-runners may feel out of place. Constant flow of people coming in and going out (for better or worse).

Great experience working for the world largest provider in sporting goods.

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than a year

ProsIncredible company involved around sports.
Dedicated employees are very passionate.
Opportunity to make great connections

ConsCompany is solely based around politics and who you really know.

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIKE reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NIKE CEO Mark G. Parker. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by NIKE employees.