NIKE Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 66 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Great environment where everyone truly believes in the brand and is passionate about it. If sport is your passion this is the right place.

Cons

Long waits for good growth opportunities.
    Most of decisions come from European HQ or WW HQ so territories have a more "execution" role.

motivating and inspirational each day.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ethos, benefits, community work, product, people

Cons

communication between departments, pace, no petty cash,

Constant bullying and pressure

I worked at NIKE

Pros

It's amazing discounts however with the premium price of shoes in comparison to the pay I can understand why..

All the team members on your level are friendly and keep the shifts entertaining to say the most

Cons

Terrible management. They do not know what they are doing.

They choose ridiculous locations for stores and fill these stores with old trainers I would never think about buying and wonder why we don't get a huge profit.

Management are constantly nagging you and pressurising you to do more and more and do not acknowledge one bit of success.. Feels like I'm back in school.

The management are bullies in abuse of their power.

The discount as I said is good but for premium priced shoes on a part time contract it's understandable why..!

No holidays ever.. Keep getting denied my holiday requests.

Hours are terrible. Both if you want more hours or less.. Stupid retails 4 hour shift pattern makes it a pain to balance school/college & having a social life..!

Again the management are abusive to other staff behind their backs and there is a lot and lot of sneaky comments about people's personal lives and work ethics in store.. It really is a very manipulative and bullying atmosphere where If you don't stand up you will be trodden on & if you do stand up for yourself you will be cautious about losing your job.

Furthermore when a member of staff complained to higher powers the higher power told the manager and made this employees life hell.

Management need more training and need to stop putting so much pressure on staff as without these staff they would be nothing.

Listen to your team members.

I have been extremely honest in this review.

If you want to work for nike be prepared to be made to feel like a child.

Very good

Current Employee - Nike Athlete in London, England
    Current Employee - Nike Athlete in London, England

I have been working at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, a company who care about their staff.

Cons

It can be hard to apply.

Keep doing such a great job.

Amazing company, endless possibilities if you work for it

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at NIKE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great products, great people, great sales meetings. Work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Some long hours, and time away from home, but if you don't mind that enjoy it

Great work environment, good benefits, young and active coworkers

I worked at NIKE as a contractor

Pros

good hours, very young, active and international co-workers, great possibilities to exercise and sport, nice activities outside of office hours

Cons

Hilversum is not a big city and not so nice to live when you are young (but it is only 45 min travelling from amsterdam..), wages are on the low side when you start.

Great working environment and people, definitely hard work at times

Former Employee - Part-time Athlete in London, England
    Former Employee - Part-time Athlete in London, England

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than an year)

Pros

40% discount on friends and familly

Cons

Spending with your discount it limited

Ask employees on the floor ways to improve, they work on the floor, they no what does and doesn't work well

Great Company

Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nike holds a lot of events which employees can be a part of, room for growth and development depending how you apply yourself. Meet many great people as well. Benefits are good, if your are full time.

Cons

Pay is average, not outstanding considering its a huge company. Hours are hard to come by, based on business needs. Use to be fun to work for, parties, employee events, better perks but have noticed a decline in "employee appreciation".

Nike

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

As far as retail goes, this was easily one of the best jobs I have ever had. It is a great atmosphere and you sell an awesome product.

Cons

Typical retail frustrations. I have nothing negative to say about my time as an employee with Nike.

I enjoyed my time with Nike. I left only seeking a greater management opportunity.

Land of Opportunity

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nike has been an amazing place to work. (5 years and counting) The company values family and personal (non-work) commitments, and encourages you to be active, healthy, and not tied to your desk. They make a great quality product you can be proud of, and has a great culture with no limitations on access to senior leadership.

They have been great about recognizing talent and rewarding through career advancement and stretch assignments to learn and grow. Nike has so many opportunities that you can literally change career paths without leaving the company. They are willing to allow you to move from something like operations to marketing or from production to finance if you can demonstrate that you are capable. I've now worked in three different countries, and have enjoyed all of them.

Nike makes a sincere effort to listen to its employees, and to be transparent about when and why things are done. Continually evaluate market compensation for each role and ensure they stay competitive. It's also a giant company that's on a tear financially, with continued strong growth that is reflected in the stock valuation.

Cons

Tough to get in. I took a step back to get in, as did many of the folks I work with.
    It's big. Combine that with the relaxed hierarchy and you can create some slow progress. Not necessarily suited to folks used to working at a startup where you can make a decision that affects the whole company in a day.