NRC (National Research Corporation)
www.nationalresearch.com Lincoln, NE 150 to 499 Employees

NRC (National Research Corporation) Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

NRC (National Research Corporation) CEO and Director Michael D. Hays

Michael D. Hays

Constant structural reorganization, sales-focused with overworked service.

Client Service (Current Employee)
Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

Pros-Good work-life balance
-Relaxed work environment
-No micro-management
-Decent compensation
-good working relationships

Cons-Constant reorganization at mid-level management and above creates unstable work environment
-401k match is a joke at .25 % company match
-Service is often stretched very thin with too much work, not enough associates to complete it, and hiring freezes on top of that
-the annual associate engagement survey seems less aimed at actually improving work lives and more geared towards appeasing associates with "small wins"
-propriety software that supports the biggest portion of business is outdated (created 15-20 years ago) and senior leadership is in denial about the needed systems overhaul to stay competitive as a business
-complete lack of formal training program for service associates; managers and supervisors with already full plates have to create and implement training programs for new associates

Advice to Senior ManagementNRC needs to step into the 21st century, technology-wise, and provide associates with adequate tools to do their job in terms of software used to create client deliverables.

Good experience

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than 3 years

Prospeople and teams were wonderful, always felt like I had the support of other people.

Consfinancially and very sales focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to invest in product development and fixes some major issues with systems.

Great company if you are ambitious

Lincoln, NE (US)

I have been working at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCan pave your own way, and hard work pays off in new projects and positions. Can make the job what you want. If you prefer work/life balance you can find ways to work limited hours and work from home often. If you are ambitious you can put in more hours and it seems to generally pay off.

ConsLocation of headquarters in midwest may not be desirable to some. Pay and benefits are slightly below industry averages.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in keeping key senior leaders. There is not a deep bench of top performing middle and senior managers so it is key to keep the few that you have.

Worst company I've ever worked at

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

ProsNice building, both inside and out, free parking if they have room for you, otherwise they pay for a parking garage, close to university.

ConsA revolving door, 70% employee turnover in one year. Dishonest managers. Fired 8 people one day because their insurance costs went up. They don't pay you for unused vacation when you leave so use it up first!

Great people, great office, not so great compensation.

ProsAmazing coworkers and relaxed atmosphere.

ConsPay structure seems to reflect the market in Lincoln, NE, but is not competitive for its branch offices in other major cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees. Move at a slower pace. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Business Development

I have been working at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time

ProsFun work environment with a lot of autonomy. Managers always willing to help.

ConsPay highly dependent on commission .

REALLY corporate environment, low pay, free beer on Fridays, lack of transparency in executives

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment (besides Big Brother) - NRC mainly employees the "fresh-out-of-college" crowd so a majority of the associates are in their mid-twenties. They always have 2 beers on tap in the breakroom, which makes for a fun Friday afternoon "Beer:30" session with colleagues from different departments.

If you're really good at outside sales, you can make six figures in a few years.

ConsAn obvious "corporate" structure where entry-level associates benefit not by intelligence, but by their willingness to brown nose the higher-ups. Everything about the NRC entry-level sales program screams "entry-level" so if you are a recent college grad who is outgoing and looking for a low-paying, no experience needed opportunity (and happen to be in the Lincoln area), look no further.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to truly appreciate your associates. Treat associates like people more so than numbers.

Non-conducive to a work/life balance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company fully pays benefits and holds annual reviews. They have good corporate communication and community involvement. The company is growing at a fast pace and has a positive reputation within the industry.

ConsThis company does not have a good work/life balance. Average work weeks are 60-70 hours with no real reprieve. Much focus is put on 'Error-tracking' rather than positively reinforcing successes. The culture is sales-centric with little to no recognition for the relationship, client facing or service side. Wellness assistance is also not provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management needs to listen to employees. They need to staff adequately to contribute to better work/life balances.
Recognize relationship and service staff, rather than solely sales.

This was one of the best jobs I have ever had.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

ProsIn most shops, business and technical requirements and project management are noticeably absent. Not at NRC. The software engineering section had one of the best teams I've ever worked with.

ConsMiddle management doesn't provide as much information to the staff as they should. Some of the sales team make promises that cannot be delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to input from the bottom of the org chart.

The Worst of Corporate Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NRC (National Research Corporation) full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation, and lots of interesting people. I made a ton of friends while working at NRC. Some of them I hope to keep in touch with for many years to come.

ConsTerrible management, "work hard, play hard" taken to the extreme -- alcoholism runs rampant here. Keg parties (Beer:30) on Fridays sound fun, but in reality, leads to worrisome interactions between coworkers and people working while under the influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shifting and "reorganizing" so often. It makes people feel insecure and causes friction between colleagues.

Worked for NRC (National Research Corporation)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NRC (National Research Corporation) reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NRC (National Research Corporation) CEO Michael D. Hays. All 19 reviews are posted anonymously by NRC (National Research Corporation) employees.