National Grid USA

Updated 24 September 2014
Updated 24 September 2014

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday
Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay if you've worked there a long time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

good company - moves slowly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at National Grid USA

Pros

safe job, pleasant people, great work life balance, nice offices, decent benefits, good atmosphere, emphasis on support network, decent management team

Cons

despite all the good points raised, this company moves very slowly. staff are not incentivised to work any harder than the minimum required and promotions are a very slow burner.

in order to cut waste and improve efficiency - closely monitor those people underperforming and take action if required! Reward good performance and deal with underperformance...

Diversity and inclusion policy in uk a complete and utter sham

Former Employee - Craftsman in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Craftsman in Manchester, England

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pension. Perks. Immediate manage ment no problem

Cons

High level management in operations have nothing but contemp for the workforce.

Steve holiday. Get a grip. Your policy's blatantly ignored. Look in depth at the industrial staff survey results

Ok company very stable industry

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Very good for job security

Cons

Very little room for advancement

Look within

Bureaucracy can be daunting, but a generally ok place to work

Current Employee - Data Manager in Waltham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Manager in Waltham, MA (US)

I have been working at National Grid USA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company pays well across the board, lots of job security because you are rarely checked up on. Some positions have a very flexible schedule.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be stifling. It takes weeks, if not months to get something done, and there is never any change to procedure no matter how stupid it may be. There are some real challenges with moving up the ranks in some sectors too.

The amount of contractors employed to do work that should be internal is insane. Try hiring those people on full time, then you wouldn't have to teach their jobs to someone new every 10 months!

Faded Glory

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are awesome! Salary compensation is comparable for the industry.

Cons

Out of touch management, broken systems fundamental disconnect in understanding that the UK and US are not interchangeable. It used to be a fantastic place to work, but the atmosphere is filled with gloom and despair. Employees in the Res Woods office look like walking cadavers.

Get a clue! Stop thinking "for" the employee and start thinking "about" them. You'll still find good people who want to work and restore the company to its former glory.

Stop changing policies!

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are usually very well intended. Very few bad apples in the bunch. Quite a bit of work day flexibility

Cons

IT services are just plain awful. IT management needs to focus on service delivery and not look at anything else. This should be the IS/IT number one priority!!!!!!

Figure out why systems don't work and fix them! Stop worrying about creating new policies. Just focus on what the immediate need it

It was good

I worked at National Grid USA (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salaries. Good work life balance.

Cons

Management is inefficient. Nothing else.

national grid was a very good company to work for.

Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Albany, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Albany, NY (US)

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very good pay and benefits and hours

Cons

long hours and under staffed

No common goal, just money. Leaves employees "dangling" with no future planning

Former Employee - Payroll in Syracuse, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Payroll in Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Payroll Dept here at the Main office in Syracuse NY; hired on as a temp. So you can say I know all about the payroll, hours, 35+ Union contracts, Overtime, pay raises, SAP program and oh lets not forget the management style.
     The only pro of my job were some of the decent "regular" folk I had the chance to work with, a measly paycheck and satisfaction out of helping employees & retirees through the mess of a payroll and management system

Payroll employees only make roughly $40K yet in charge of Corporate payroll issues, the MOST important part of the company.
    Management positions, which are salary usually start at about $65 with directors earning $125-$135. Vp's make $175K
    Lineman vary from $35hr to $45hr. depends if your a group leader or not
    wow, a meter reader can start at $14 and go all the way to $30
    OVERTIME: DOUBLE WOW, the work crews earn overtime, I've constantly see guys that have a salary of $72k and take home home DOUBLE that. Obscene amounts of 1.5 and double time.

a group forman know had a base salary of $85k yet after all his OT and year end BONUS he took home $232,000 . blows my mind

Cons

I have NEVER seen such an diverse employee & management group in my life. Very few had the common goal or experience for their jobs (in the offices). Management in my Dept. was some of the most INEPT management I have ever come across. How does a manager in arts and philosophy degree get to be in control of payroll? Their SAP program was rolled out untested at the behest of the CEO. I know this because I chatted with a recently retired VP who bought the program, but argued with CEO that it wasn't ready yet. It was one of the worse implementations in corporate history. People were not getting the paychecks correctly for 8 months. It was so bad the Company had to announce that any overpayment would be forgiven and gave EVERY affected employee a Large bonus for the problems they endured.

Biggest complaint, the management has no care in the world about their subordinates. only care about implementing company policy. If I saw my manager broken down on the road I would keep on driving (maybe I'd call Triple aaa for them) but they are just merely "Tools" of the company

put management in place that had a background in their jobs. use people that actually have a heart and treat their employees with some dignity and acknowledge their employees with more than a "grunt hello" in the morning. Hell the only time my manager bothered me were when "issues" came up. sometimes I wondered if he knew my name.

and as for Outsourcing, YEAH, they hire TONS of "contractors" that come from agencies. Usually on a yearly contract but get renewed most of the time. they get about $70k year and work in all depts through the company, whether payroll, benefits, engineering. There are so many temporary contractors that come in on a daily basis that half the hotels in armory square must be filled with them.

Decent

Current Employee - Lead Analyst
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst

I have been working at National Grid USA full-time

Pros

Pay is nice and company intentions seem promising.

Cons

Lack of advancement. Lack of coaching. Lack of technical support. Promising corporate outlook does not translate to day-to-day, month-to-month work life improvements.

Encourage coaching at all levels. No matter what rank, people need feedback in order to prepare for daily life and improve professionally. Address technical support inefficiency.

National Grid USA Photos