National Instruments

Updated 19 August 2014

3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective (in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England

Pros

There are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

Cons

Recognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Review recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

Pros

Equip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Cons

slightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

As an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Interns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England

Pros

NI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

Cons

Working hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Help employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England

Pros

- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons

- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

Solid Organization

Pros

You will work with talented individuals (bring your "A" game).
    The products the company produces are very interesting and make a difference.
    Very good culture and the employees are treated with respect.
    The pay and benefits are on par with the rest of Austin in my experience.
    They do a pretty good job of hiring good managers and promoting from within.

Cons

It's an Engineering company, if your not an Engineer, you long-term opportunities will be limited.
    Work-life balance can be tough depending on what area you work in.

Thank you for making this a great place to work.

Amazing company!

Pros

It's an absolute delight working here. You learn a lot everyday!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great employees but stingy compensation

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer I Intern  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer I Intern in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

The company really has fostered a great culture -- it's actually fun to come to work. Internal classes also allow you to develop some skills.

Cons

Large product base to navigate. There doesn't seem to be as much ability to pursue new and unique ideas as they would like you to believe.

The work/life balance really is great, but show your employees you value them and pay competitive wages!

Flexible place to work, however they haven't figured out how to pay properly.

Current Employee - Hardware Technician  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Hardware Technician in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. Product development keeps you engaged. Office culture is relaxed and fun. Deck parties are a good boost for morale.

Cons

Pay and increases are not competitive to the market around town. There is a lot of frustration around the company about this.

Consider truthfully looking at the value of your employees and what they are really bringing to the table.

Good place to start career

Current Employee - Writer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Writer in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

There is challenging, interesting work available with supportive management, co-workers, and training opportunities. The work culture and environment are positive.

Cons

Some do not consider the salaries to be comparable to similar opportunities available at other companies, including the offered benefits.

Focus on more than just the entry-level careers and positions.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!