National Instruments

Updated 1 March 2015
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great people, great experience.

Former Employee - Applications (ELP) Engineer in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications (ELP) Engineer in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All employees are genuinely approachable and friendly, there's a great company culture, and a feeling of community.

Cons

Sometimes the work can become a little routine, but this is probably the case with any job.

Management is generally friendly and nice, however there can sometimes be a feeling that more transparency in decision making might be good.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

Cons

Recognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Review recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Cons

slightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

As an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Interns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

Cons

Working hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Help employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons

- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

Comfortable place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relatively relaxed working style, nice managers and colleagues. Great work life balance. Good benefits, pretty city (Austin). You'll like to work here if you enjoy working in a midsized fast-growing city with lots of young Mavericks, and if you're okay with the typical mid-class salary.

Cons

Lower than average compensation, especially for software developers. It's enough for a mid class life but their employees are worth more. Personal development is restricted,

Improve compensation to attract more talents. Give employees a clear vision of the future of the company, and the success of employees themselves.

Technical Writing Intern

Former Intern - Technical Writing Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Intern - Technical Writing Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Company atmosphere
    -Opportunity to work on interesting projects
    -Ability to get certified in LabVIEW
    -Great managers

Cons

-Pay
    -Lack of variation in work if not proactive enough

Allow technical writing interns to utilize ability to work remotely from various location on the NI campus. Extended length of time spent at desk reduce productivity.

Summer intern

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The environment at NI was exceptional. Everyone was excited to be working there and they were full of new ideas and explorations they wanted to discuss and share with everyone. In essence everyone was constantly learning not just in their own fields but also about one another's.

Cons

Commute from where I lived was a bit long.

Interesting work, smart colleagues and great work culture

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

Interesting work, smart colleagues, great work culture, work-life balance

Cons

Pay is not very great

National Instruments Photos