National Instruments

Updated 26 November 2014
3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

Cons

Recognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Review recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Cons

slightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

As an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Interns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

Cons

Working hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Help employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons

- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

National Instruments is Dedicated to its Employees

Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Values, Products, Vision, Growth

Cons

Compensation and retention... although it's decent, the quality of employees tends to attract other companies to come in and offer much more money.

Keep working to give employees a good reason to stay long term

Great place to work!

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The campus is beautiful and offers a full sized basketball court and two sand volleyball courts.
    - Lots of summer activities for interns.
    - Projects are meaningful and fun.
    - Great place to work, the culture is awesome and the CEO is very visible.

The thing about National Instruments is that it is a company of engineers run by engineers. The CEO Dr. T is an EE major from the University of Texas. And his competency trickles down to the senior management. There is no micromanaging of any kind here. Everyone in the company is very approachable.

Cons

- Some of the workflow processes are old.
    - Pay is moderate.

Great place to work

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship program at National Instruments is well organized and there is a good support system in place for interns. The project that I was given to work on was meaningful and I was able to voice my opinions to shape the feature I developed over the course of my internship. The atmosphere of the company is also very good and integrating into the full-time team went smoothly.

Cons

The salary that I was offered was lower than that of other companies, although I chose to work here because I felt like my values matched very well with that of the company.

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Firstly, flexible work time. Great place to learn and accumulate experience. Additionally, there are a lot of interesting projects that helps college student to explore their potential.

Cons

Salaries is below average. The atmosphere is active but sometimes a little bit noisy. And sometimes it is hard to find the right person who in charge of the issue.

It will be better that to have a mentor experts at on-going project and available for most of the time.

National Instruments Photos