National Instruments

Updated 17 December 2014
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

Cons

Recognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Review recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Cons

slightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

As an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Interns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

Cons

Working hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Help employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons

- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

NI is more concerned to be known as a Great Employer than actually being one

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Employees are smart, knowledgeable, and approachable;
    - Benefits include 401(k) matching, health care, dental care, medical prescriptions, and most of the minimum expected benefits in the industry.

Cons

- Under-par compensation
    - Lack of recognition in teams working on less known National Instruments product
    - Diminishing health benefits
    - Very few opportunities to grow
    - Books not as open as they claim to be

Spend less resources trying to be on a Best Employer list and more in being one a retaining, what you call, the best and the brightest.

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

A good place to start as a software developer

Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Established, stable company
    * Lots of smart people
    * Customers do amazing things with NI products
    * Learn basics of software development

NI was a great place to start a career. I learned a ton and worked with very smart coworkers.

Cons

NI was once a fast growth tech company with lots of innovation and excitement. Now it has matured and hit a plateau, becoming a medium sized company where it's hard to be more than a cog in the machine.

A handful of senior technical people are the gatekeepers to what and how things are done. Those ways are not usually industry standard or industry leading, but somewhat home-grown, "we do things differently because we are different from other software development companies", and so you will not get exposed to better concepts because these senior tech gatekeepers will disallow them. Also, the range of technologies you will work on is narrow: primarily desktop software, not web or mobile.

Without having been at NI for ten to twenty years, you will not get to become one of these gatekeepers. NI has long prized hiring from college, promoting from within, and even people who have been at the company five years are considered relatively new. This is a strength and a weakness. There ends up being an in-bred tunnel vision on improving things because everyone at NI thinks they are an exception to the rule that is proven to work in the industry.

Challenge the senior technical gatekeepers. Give other developers a larger voice so that new ideas can come in. Hire senior tech people from other companies who bring better ideas. Adopt software development best practices and quit thinking you are different than other software development houses.

As time passes, there seems to be many inefficiencies and not as much investment in the employees.

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture driven, location is nice

Cons

Low salary, benefits are not great, management is incompetent

Learn how to manage a team. Learn how to back up your employees instead of being concerned about advancing your own career or covering your own mistakes. Be a leader.

Fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work culture - absolutely brilliant. Your colleagues are brilliant, helpful and fun! You can come and go as you like as long as you finish your work. Work-life balance is fantastic.

Cons

Promotions may be a little hard. No real training, you must learn as you go along. Pay for interns is not as high as other internships. Apart from this, no real cons from my experience.

Perhaps the pay scale for interns can be higher.

National Instruments Photos