National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

Good place to work

Team Member (Current Employee) Newbury, England

ProsThere are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

ConsRecognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsEquip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Consslightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of a single one.

ConsAs an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

(Former Employee) Newbury, England

ProsNI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

ConsWorking hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Newbury, England

Pros- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

Changing strategies

Field Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsCompany is focusing on having better customer experience, and employees being more goal oriented to achieve that. Creates career opportunities.

ConsChanges are not happening at the same time. So every 6 months there are new things to work on or you just lost 6 months of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the overall idea of where the company is moving. This adjustment has to be gradual and well explained.

So far so good

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Batu Maung (Malaysia)

Pros- Working environment
    - Flexible hour
    - Very friendly and helpful colleagues
    - Lots of team event

ConsBar aside average salary, I can't really think of any downside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work .

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!