National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though honestly that depends on which group you're in"
    in 64 reviews
  • "The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Intern pay is actually pretty good but I hear often that full-time pay is average at best"
    in 16 reviews
  • "They harp too much on work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEquip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Consslightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments

ProsI can't think of a single one.

ConsAs an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

ConsWorking hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
- An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
- Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

Fantastic company to grow skill sets and launch your professional career.

Group Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a seven year employee of NI and had numerous promotions during that time. There is a pointed focus on developing employee skill sets. A lot of in-house promotions, too. Great onsite amenities, such as multiple cafeterias, gym, health clinic (sooo convenient), volleyball courts, and more. Easy access off of Mopac, and right across the street from the Domain. The ESPP program is fantastic - free money to those that take advantage of it. The culture is very strong in this company, it really shows. This is the only company I worked for that spent a significant amount of time correctly managing employees, from timely praise and attentive listening, to performance management when necessary. That's probably the one thing I miss most about working at NI.

ConsCompensation policies. The bottom line is, fight hard for your starting salary. After that, you'll be subjected to an annual raise policy that, when they're given (some years not), are small bumps (2-6% on average). There is no level-setting of salaries once you are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou clearly hire the best and the brightest, but retention should be a stronger focus. I get the business case for your raise policy, but you're bleeding star performers who quickly eclipse their modest starting pay. Until you revisit this, you'll be stuck in a cycle of launching careers and not capitalizing on your development investments.

One of the best places to work

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI love the company I work for.
It's consistently being voted as one of the best places to work for, from the past 14 years so that should tell that this really is a great place to work. Compensation is decent. I'm happy about my role and responsibilities.
I'm able to maintain a great work life balance because of -
1. Work hours are fairly flexible.
2. Work pressure is not too high.
3. The people I work with are very nice.
4. The campus is in the middle of the city so I don't spend a lot of time commuting.

ConsI don't know about other teams but I can speak for myself.
I guess the work can afford to be a bit more challenging.
We can also do with some more leadership in the technical ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure you are constantly introspecting and evolving. As long as you continue to do that, we're good!

National Instruments is a great company to start your career in Software Development.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company culture.
Great benefits.
Good work/life balance.
Sound management.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement for senior developers.

Great place to work, not the best compensation.

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros- Company culture
- Employee amenities
- Great place to learn
- Sense of community is strong

Cons- Compensation (salary)
- Organization in some groups
- Very silo'd work environment

NI - A good place to work...if you have the patience

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment, smart people, challenging work

ConsLack of strong leadership to get problems solved, break through old mindsets. Lots of roadblocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be better listeners and stronger problem solvers at times while balancing the voice of the individual employees and middle management. I would like to see true Lean Leadership as described by people like Jim Womack.

Work hard and play hard.

Inside Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work! Environment is well balanced... work hard and play hard.

Some changes are affecting immediate business, but it's with the intention to be better organized and create stronger organization. We are aligning structures, systems and tools with other offices around the world.

Conscareer opportunities are offered, but no always met in the short run. Compensation ($$) is not the greatest! Sometimes you just get more responsibilities added.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are good ideas in place to make business better. Sometimes it looks like the implementation of those ideas is a half speed. This sometimes affects business and compensation. But at the end of the day that's not really considered.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 532 reviews are posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.