National Instruments Reviews

Updated 21 October 2014
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance (in 91 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 15 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newbury, England

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a range of good benefits. The team spirit is very high and a strong culture. There is a lot of training at the beginning.

Cons

Recognition is not equal across all departments with some managers being more generous than others with different ideas of good performance.

Review recognition process across whole team.

Fast Learning Curve, Exciting environment and open minded culture

Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Applications Engineer

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Equip lots of interdisciplinary knowledge with you in short time, and involved in various industries which provide you a broad horizontal views

Cons

slightly unorganized, hard to define the responsibility belonging, and probably need a well-developed knowledge management system to enhance the forecast growth

Biggest mistake of my life

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

I can't think of a single one.

Cons

As an intern, I had thought that perhaps I would be given real projects to contribute to. Instead, my manager discriminated against me from day one and reserved technical projects for other interns; I was stalked by a coworker at work who followed me around like a shadow and did not let me work - my manager deliberately ignored this, HR did not believe me; false accusations were made against me, and HR believed them. At every turn I was met with negativity; not ONE person listened to any of my concerns. I was made to work long hours and even over the Christmas holidays.

On the day I left (my internship was terminated), I felt free. Be careful when you apply for an internship at Newbury - you will be lavished with free food and made to answer phones all day. Interns are required to give "technical support (without the technical knowledge) to customers." Like a call centre, you will be made to wear a headphone with receiver all the time; even your toilet breaks are monitored.

If you accept an internship at this place, beware - you have been warned.

Interns are the future of a company; treat them with respect and equality.

Great career starter with progression paths, but not without flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NI is great for graduates, it provides for a lot of training and exposure to a vast portfolio of products and technologies. There are also varied paths for progression available. The environment is great, and the people are all friendly and approachable, even in higher management.

Cons

Working hours regularly include unpaid overtime. A company shouldn't "promote" time away from your personal life this much. Also, in the UK at least, the company is plagued with lower than average salaries, and an out-of-touch HR department. If an employee needs to speak to someone about a concern at work, the HR team is probably the last people he or she would consider; mostly because of one particular person there.

Help employees value their personal life, and help them manage their time and workload better. Also, it is imperative that the HR team gets an overhaul - there's probably been enough complaints about this one particular person already.

Valuable Industrial Placement Experience

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Newbury, England

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- A brilliant industrial placement year in the middle of my degree offering lots of valuable experience
    - An intership with 90+% of the responsibilities of the equivalent graduate position
    - Excellent office environment; Great ethos, very friendly atmosphere, colleagues with genuine passion for there jobs!

Cons

- The salary was at the lower-end of similar Engineering degree placement schemes on offer at the time

They trained me too well. 3 years later everyone is willing to pay me more than NI.

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and work with talented people. They invest heavily on your training. Management is friendly and smart. Decent site in Austin. NI week is very enjoyable for employees.

Cons

They claim to hire only the best an brigtest. They hire above average performers, but they pay below average salaries. NI invests very cautiosly, you'll never see growth higher than 20% YoY, bonus will be small. If you work harder than everyone you won't get any rewards. Half of the skills you learn are non transferable.

Pay above average salaries. Let R&D work closer with customers. Stop worrying about stability and start investing more aggressively where it makes sense.

none

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Software and hardware are integrated seamlessly

Cons

There nothing to be added here

none

Good company, cares about its people

Former Employee - RF Engineer Intern
    Former Employee - RF Engineer Intern

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great and it was a very good learning opportunity

Cons

The pay was a bit low

National Instuments

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice environment
    balanced life
    enjoyment
    life is good

Cons

Perks are more than Cons
    pay is good

Good

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

balance between life and work, good interpersonal relationship, not so much salary, in all I am satisfied with this company, it's a good place for people looking for stable life

Cons

Not so energetic, people working there seem very stable, not looking for more chance of changing work or venture for startup. It could be hardly a con, but for people who have a startup dream like me, I would prefer to another place

National Instruments Photos