National Oilwell Varco

Updated 26 January 2015
Updated 26 January 2015
3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position" (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits of working for a large company with many office all over the world (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of business structure with middle management (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is generally good, although it depends on the position a lot (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

173 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Regional Facilities Masnager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Facilities Masnager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Company Values are excellent, the benefits are great. The executive management are very in touch with middle management.

Cons

The company is so large that you really don't know what other facilities do.

Network between divisions so the middle management can meet other managers running the same department as them in order to increase best practices in all divisions.

Good to gain experience but most management seems to be looking out for themselves

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Selective hiring process that weeds out most incompetent people but some still make it through. Makes work much easier when your not picking up others slack. Benefits start day 1 and all information is explained in orientation. For those working in production they provide prescription eyewear and steel toe boots

Cons

standard corporate BS where some people become complacent and put others down to ensure their survival within the company.

informing employees about possible opportunities for personal growth within a company, informing employees of opportunities either within the company to grow or return to school for opportunities to benefit both employee/company. for a company that works 24/7 on 3 shifts there should be more opportunity to help those that want to go better their career.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

in general I feel good working for NOV, the people and the amount of work fit my expectations, I want to be involved in more projects and be in contact with new knowledge

Cons

the training programs are really poor, and I think make the good talents look for other opportunities, also I think the salary range is below the media.

more motivation to the employees make them happy and with more commitment.

overall pretty good

Current Employee - Fitter in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Fitter in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay plenty of hours, great benefits and a decent work environment

Cons

sometimes too little time with the family, can have a lot of drama but that is a lot of places, takes forever to get improvements to make the job easier. Not an environment that is open to change easily.

work on production systems and parts delivery systems. It would just make it a better place to work with less problems.

Good benefits, low pay, and feels dead end due to lack of employee development.

Current Employee - Fixed Asset Accountant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Fixed Asset Accountant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is decent, but during crunch times you can put in many hours(i find this typical of any organization, though). Pay is low for the industry, but the job security is high. While our competitors are currently laying off thousands, NOV has done well to keep everyone on staff in Houston.

Cons

Systems are old and antiquated, running simple reports are difficult and require much time.

Middle managers are often wrong, or unhappy, which creates some tension around the office, perhaps that is only at the location I work at though.

Office Culture pretty much doesnt exist outside of the corporate office, make efforts to change that.

Professional Teller

Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Flexible Schedule during college years

Cons

Difficulty leaving retail side to transition to corporate

Growth Opportunity

Good balance between life/ work but weak management

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Conroe, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Conroe, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, light work loads, freedom in what you want to do

Cons

Weak management, no leadership and direction, no specific career path. It's mostly who you know not what you do which matters.

Open a channel of communication with your employee, value the experience and knowledge, shake-up the old management system which has no motivation to progress.

Great People - Great Place to Work - NOV PCG WLY

Current Employee - Supplier Development Specialist - Machining in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things on the move at our company. The people are excellent and normally treat you like Family.
    Leadership is getting better at our Division and there are many things in process to help NOV improve.
    Like all companies, there is good and bad but just remember - the grass always appears greener on the other side.
    Keep in mind what may make it greener - and try not to step in it. We are growing as an organization, and are very stable. Pete Miller (DNOW currently) was an excellent Leader with a Vision, one I believed in - we at NOV
    do miss him but Clay Williams may be more tactical which may work to NOV's and DNOW's advantage long term.
    Both are excellent Leaders, and people. We are made up from the core companies and have grown thru both acquisition and modernization. This takes adding structure, organization and takes time.
    Looking forward to working with NOV long term, not interested in chasing a buck.
    Yes we tend to pay a little less, but the benefits are good and the people are even better.
    We are getting better every day. The old ERP is on the way out and we will have a better system.

The Management in the last year has made more positive strides in the last year than the 5 previous.
    Our Future is Bright!

Cons

We tend to hire less skilled people with degrees at lower rates, then they gain experience and move on.
    Need more Design Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    We are on the lower end regarding pay, benefits and bonus.
    If you do not like your current position - look for something else - within NOV.
    You will find your place.

Always hire the best available applicant. When there is time, help them develop their skills.
    At times a degree means less than a pot of beans when it comes to experience. Having both would be good.
    Put Engineers on the floor for a short time so they better understand their products regarding what is critical.
    Need more Engineering support - There is not enough time, to save time and money.
    IF you can get 6 jobs a day done, there will be 14 on your plate. Fix it on the front end.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    We could stand to adjust up a little toward "market value" regarding pay, retirement and bonuses.
    Training. Training, Training - More Process Improvement, development employees and systems.
    Keep plugging away. We are moving in the right direction. Thanks.

Good Company

Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco

Pros

Good Enviorment. Co-workers are great. Presentable company. Benefits are good.

Cons

No yearly incentives. Management needs to lean more processes. No yearly Incentives.

Learn actual processes before implementing them.

National Oilwell Varco Photos