National Oilwell Varco Reviews

Updated 20 August 2014
Updated 20 August 2014

3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management (in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to work

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pushed and developed at same time; everyone has opportunity for own advancement if they so wish

Cons

Extensive Travel and time away can become burdensome but are supported while doing so

Excellent company

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

Very diverse company with lots of opportunities across the globe. My experience is of fast moving challenging work in a team of really nice people.

Cons

Honestly can't think of anything significant. The base salaries are not the highest in the industry but this is balanced out by a great working environment and good culture.

Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

good learning curve. Very useful for future.

Cons

Learning depends on the project we work, sometimes seems very slow process.

Try to develop multi-skill expert instead of specialist.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seem to care for their employees. They support continued training and will pay for other training opportunities People are great and many chances to travel. Insurance is great.

Cons

Pay may be a little low compared to other Oil and Gas companies

Love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been here for over 5 years and have been in several positions. Each position gets better and better! As long as you come into work and do your job, you will succeed.

Cons

None, I actually left NOV and came back a year later.

Only thing is...watch how employees treat others. No one likes mean people!

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Riyāḑ (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Riyāḑ (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Business strategy for growth.

Cons

Very functional and limited in managing projects

Watch out for Mafia

A good place to gain experience in the Oil and Gas Industry

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable job situation; low micromanagement; wide range of products and services; Benefits are excellent and Vacation days afforded to new employees is the most I have seen anywhere; Opportunity is there to learn and gain valuable experience in the Oil and Gas Services Industry

Cons

Working environment is far too political; Salary is below what competitors pay; little opportunity to develop skills and move up in one's career.

Consider taking more consideration with where employees want to take their careers, instead of putting them on career paths based on what they perceive they would be best in. Strengths analysis is important to determine where an employee will best fit, but there should be more focus as well on where the employee wants to work at.

Growing too fast?

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time

Pros

With so many acquisitions in such a short period of time, there is never a shortage of things to do nor a shortage of talent and possibly best practices to integrate into current businesses.

Cons

From the position I held from an acquired company, it seemed like some of their benefits and other policies/programs are a bit old school. It feels like they spend all of their time integrating new business that they don't have the time, with the people they have, to really analyze what they offer and see if it needs upgrading.

Disappointed of our management, its the SCHOOL OF THE BUDDY SYSTEM.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Angelo, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Angelo, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Insurance and benefits, but in reality the employee is really paying for these.

Cons

Low pay, days off behind for amount of hours worked. Older managers are intimidated by the young because of fresh ideas these people generate. Definitely office personal are sub par for the jobs. Promotions are based on the buddy system not on their qualifications. Laid back attitude in office. And NO I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Hire young educated people as managers and watch the attitude change and the increase in sales and profits.

Lots of potential ruined by major problems.

Former Employee - QC Inspector  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - QC Inspector in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime. Superb benefits package. They pay for your work clothes, boots, Rx glasses, and job related professional organization dues. NOV is involved in just about every facet of the oilfield so there is also a lot to learn from a company like this. This place looks great on your resume.

Cons

Poor pay compared with the rest of the industry. They want you there all day every day, Sundays, holidays you name it. However the biggest problem I saw was that management was very out of touch. My superiors has their jobs due to friendships, family, and even on the job injury, not for their qualifications. I am not an old man and I had more experience in my industry than most all of them. I really wish that was an exaggeration. Fake it till you make it might work for some places, but you just can't fake experience that you don't have. For obvious reasons the turnover was very high. This makes it a very difficult environment to work in when people are constantly coming and going. I was always either short handed or training someone.

Your company has a lot of potential to be a great place. However, until the pay scale and company culture is up to the standards of the rest of the industry, NOV will just be a training grounds and stepping stone for skilled workers, not a career.

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!