Nationwide Building Society

Updated 31 January 2015
Updated 31 January 2015
3.4

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

• Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I've been working for Nationwide for over 10 years in a number of different roles.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Division in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nationwide is a fantastic place to work. The culture is all about putting people first (customers and employees) and it is really well-embedded throughout the organisation. The company invests a lot in nurturing talent and I have always found there to be good opportunities to broaden and develop my career at every level through a range of different roles. The pay and benefits packages are excellent in my opinion, with good pension, holiday entitlement and range of other benefits (varying by job level). Individual performance is measured through a combination of task delivery and behaviours, and company performance is heavily determined by customer satisfaction, rather than pure financial performance, both of which help to maintain the people-focused culture. I have always felt able to contribute to the success of the company and I’m proud to work for Nationwide.

Cons

Head Office is becoming rather busy these days, leading to problems with car parking and finding meeting spaces. The technology and systems are rather “locked down” which can be frustrating as it gets in the way of doing the job. But these are relatively minor problems that management are aware of and working to resolve.

Keep it up.

Bank masquerading as a building society

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Reasonable levels of oversight
    Room for career progression

Cons

Pressure to hit sales targets dressed up as "helping our customers"
    Outdated software and systems
    High-level management more interested in making money than employee or customer welfare
    Compensation below market average

Remember: You're a building society NOT a bank. Customer's don't want flustered staff desperately trying to flog them credit cards and loans at the counter while a manage stands behind them with a clipboard to ensure targets are met.

Promising start, disillusionment in the end

Former Employee - Analyst in Northampton, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in Northampton, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Initially ticks all the boxes in respect of salary, prospects and training

Cons

Lack of progression in northampton
    Swindon centric
    Line management is at odds often with company ethos
    Managed prerformance ratings which impact pay and bonus
    Pressure, bordering on bullying at times
    Blame culture and often more focus on who's ultimately to blame than the issue in hand

Ensure that your selected top leaders actually practice the ethos and values you wish them to empart on their staff

EXCELLENT COMPANY, WOULD LOVE TO WORK FOR THEM AGAIN

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Northampton, England
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Northampton, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Normally a good salary (above the market rate), good holiday allowance, pension, free/subsidise healthcare, free life insurance, flexible working, PRIDE recognitiion awards and other benefits that I can't remember.

Cons

Work hard and you are rewarded. Unfortunately, my department moved to Swindon otherwise I would still be with them.

You have lost a lot of good people by transferring the department to Swindon. Although negotiations were carried out quite smoothly it would have been better to transfer all staff from Swindon to Northampton as the travelling distance to London would have been a great cost saving.

Great start, however awful ending

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

- Great company to start with, very big name and seemingly professional.
    - Salary is great (now matches the living wage) for a first job.
    - If you can get a permanent job then you end up entitled to an awful lot of benefits.

Cons

- Temporary workers are treated as waste & disposable by certain departments.
    - Certain senior managers have absolute no level of professionalism and will treat their staff like the scum of society. Hopefully you don't end up working for them!
    - Little support for temporary workers who wish to make complaints... you almost can't.
    - IT issues are a daily occurrence, some departments still using windows XP!?
    - Unrealistic target setting in some teams.

Sort our senior management. Some of yours have been some of the most unprofessional, bad mouthing, authoritarian people I have ever met in life.

Actually try to care about temporary workers, a lot of them are just shoved aside like trash.

customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in London, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career development, worklife balance, the company is all about people, they reward the staff very well.

Cons

stressful and demanding, the job can be stressful at times but its all worth it

nothing really

Tedious firm

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

There are no pros for this very unprofessional firm

Cons

Old fashioned way of working. Hypocritical management who do not live their values but bang on about them endlessly and pointlessly.

Too much dead wood - get rid of it in your own ranks. Lack of technical skills means you should not be there.

So PROUD to work for such an HONEST company

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding Job benefits. Success is recognised. Nationwide lives and breathes what we stand by and it all about the people. Highly challenging but highly rewarding. We get rewarded for doing the right thing for our customers, not for the benefit of the company. career development is great. for those willing to work hard... that is. I have had 5 promotions in 5 years.

Cons

demands of the job and stress... but its all worth it.

Think about the tools which are needed to support making managers life even better - laptops for ALL BMs not just SBMs.

a great place to work - good people and culture

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

clear company values which are embedded in how things are done. succesful business model. good work life balance

Cons

good brand - but can be a little shy in telling the wider world about themselves

Such a friendly and nurturing place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for nationwide for over a year and have yet to find any major faults. They truly do support you with your development and encourage you to expand out of your comfort zones. Since being at nationwide i have become a lot more confident with myself mainly thanks to my branch manager. The people i work with are fun and enthusiastic. They put their all in to what they do and we all help each other. I would 100% recommend nationwide to work for as you get back what you put in. They are great for acknowledging achievements and helping you get to where you want to be.

Cons

Just a tiny one .... systems need a bit of improvement but i know that is something that is being worked on at the moment.

I work in a branch and would love to know more about head office maybe visit and see the areas that i am interested in progressing to. Not sure how people in branches can go about doing this?

Nationwide Building Society Photos